Y510p Ultrabay Questions

shovel2797

I purchased the model with SLI and I want to be able to turn off the ultrabay graphics card to be able to switch the iGPU and extend battery life. Is there any way I can do this without physically removing the ultrabay card? I have the drivers installed and can use the iGPU when the ultrabay card is removed, but I don't really like working with a big hole in the side of my laptop. Will the modded bios allow me to turn off the PCI bus, would that work?

I believe disabling SLI from the Nvidia control panel will do something similar to what you want, but this only causes the ultrabay GPU to downclock and not turn off completely. You cannot completely turn off the ultrabay GPU unless you physically remove it from the system. Once you do that, go into the bios, and you will be able to disable the internal Nvidia GPU in order to use the iGPU by itself to save battery. I don't think the modded bios will allow you to turn off the PCIe bus, I don' think there's any bios that allows you to do that.

Nope, there is no way of doing this, sorry. You have to go buy a caddy or a DVD to replace the ultrabay if you don't want the hole. There is no work around that will allow you to have the iGPU running while ultrabay is occupied with a GPU.

I tested by myself. If you disable SLI my battery lifes is about 3 hours. If I physically remove the card it goes up to 3:20. So based on this I believe it actually uses some little amount of energy while inserted however not really much.

I think this was posted in another thread but the answer is no, you can't switch to the onboard intel graphics with the sli model as it is one of the limitations of Optimus.