Gtx 870m overclocking..

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I would like to try this. I also have a Sager NP-8278-S. Do I use the NVflash app to backup my current bios or do I use the Techinferno VBIOS patcher? I have done some forum searching but I am unable to find a thread detailing the backup procedure. Thanks for the help

• Bios Modder

jon10110

You can make backup of your vbios with Nvflash or GPU-Z. In window of GPU-Z click on the image small chip(on the right side of window GPU-Z) and choice create vbios dump.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Klem! I downloaded the second vbios file that you uploaded and am able to go from stock (P7323, P7308, P7294) and with the overclock I get (P8026, P7966, P7985) I ran the test 3 times to confirm score. the max temp my GPU got was 78c.

• Bios Modder
Thanks Klem! I downloaded the second vbios file that you uploaded and am able to go from stock (P7323, P7308, P7294) and with the overclock I get (P8026, P7966, P7985) I ran the test 3 times to confirm score. the max temp my GPU got was 78c.

Nice result!

• Bios Modder
Is it safe to use unlocked 870m vbios for every model or is it just for spesific models ?

Yes, it is safe if your use it with Clevo or Sager laptop.

• 1 month later...
  • Bios Modder
Hi klem, i hope you are still around this thread

i have clevo p377SM-A with gtx 870M SLI

Would i be able to use your vbios mod to overclock?

also, i have problem with my cpu score, the same problem kingkaan has

please help sir

Yes, you can use my mod vbios for your laptop.

And if you have problem with CPU score, then try to use power supply (power brick) with more power.

Are any of those modded GTX 870m vbios available anymore(can't find them anywhere)? I would love to be able to run this card around 1050/1075 as I see kingkaan was able to reach 1100, also does this kind of oc have a big impact on battery life?

Hi klem just reading this thread and like the results you guys have managed. I have a single gtx870m and in the future would like to get a stable overclock to maximise performance for gaming. my cpu is i7 4800mq 2.7ghz ,3.7ghz with boost,

But my laptop is an msi gt70 dominator. Is it possible to get a decent overclock with this laptop?

If so could you give a brief description of how I go about upgrading bios as I have never done this before.i guess id just like to know how to backup and any things to look out for that you may have learnt the hard way It would be nice to know that I could get it back to stock ok if needed.Also where could I download bios from?

I overclock using Nvidia inspecter or msi afterburner.

How are you guys with clocks and temps? It seems that I cannot go over +30Mhz/+100MHz/+25mV as I reach 90C... I've been testing temps and stability using OCCT with error checking. I'm on a P157SM-A.

Update: It seems that OCCT isn't really appropriate for testing OC stability as now I'm using EVGA OC Scanner with artifact scanner and temps proved to be lower in every test allowing to reach stability at +83MHz/+200Mhz/+50.0mV with temps never crossing 84C. 3D Mark11 graphics score of 7768.

Hello, I just received my new NP8278-S earlier this week with a 870M. I attempted to overclock it as well and ended up with +80 on the core clock offset and +650 on the memory. I unable to go any further without crashing 3DMark 2011 and the voltage adjustment does not seem to make a difference. Also, my graphics score ended up being 7478 with a final score of 7268. Which is a bit lower than some of the others I see here. Any advise or help would be much appreciated.

Hello, I just recently received my new NP8278-S with the 870M. I downloaded Nvidia Inspector to do a little overclocking as well as 3DMark 2011. I was able to get up to +80 core offset and +650 Memory, but anything higher and 3DMark starts crashing. Voltage does not seem to be making much of a difference. My highest score I could obtain for the graphics was 7478 with a final score of 7268 combined. Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know what you need.

Hello, I just recently received my new NP8278-S with the 870M. I downloaded Nvidia Inspector to do a little overclocking as well as 3DMark 2011. I was able to get up to +80 core offset and +650 Memory, but anything higher and 3DMark starts crashing. Voltage does not seem to be making much of a difference. My highest score I could obtain for the graphics was 7478 with a final score of 7268 combined. Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know what you need.

Yes that's because the stock bios regulates the frequency according to power consumption which means that under 3d mark11 it won't run at +80 on the core for most of the time since it's a very intensive task. You could easily see that if you use msi afterburner overlay to see gpu frequency while you're running the test. You can solve this with the OC Edition bios of svl7 however that, atleast at me, breaks the ability to play any games while on battery. To my understanding if the power target could be increased it would be possible to run up to 1050MHz on the core as the maximum voltage it applies is 1.37 which is enough for that kind of OC(hence why you crash if you go past +80). You could go even higher if the voltage was unlocked however you might wanna make sure you got temperature room for that.

Put here your vbios.

May I kindly ask you for that modification too?(This vbios is from my XMG P504)

GTX 870m Stock.zip

Yes that's because the stock bios regulates the frequency according to power consumption which means that under 3d mark11 it won't run at +80 on the core for most of the time since it's a very intensive task. You could easily see that if you use msi afterburner overlay to see gpu frequency while you're running the test. You can solve this with the OC Edition bios of svl7 however that, atleast at me, breaks the ability to play any games while on battery. To my understanding if the power target could be increased it would be possible to run up to 1050MHz on the core as the maximum voltage it applies is 1.37 which is enough for that kind of OC(hence why you crash if you go past +80). You could go even higher if the voltage was unlocked however you might wanna make sure you got temperature room for that.

May I kindly ask you for that modification too?(This vbios is from my XMG P504)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12529[/ATTACH]

Ah, ok, it has been perfectly stable at 80+ and 550+ the last week. I have not seen my GPU temps ever go higher than 83c even after a few straight hours of gaming, so I think I have a little head room still. Thx for posting the stock vbios for modification. I can't download attachments yet it looks like.

Erik9519

This is for you.

Thank you very much Klem.

I've used that bios you made for me as guideline for customizing with Kepler Bios Tweaker and what I discovered is that the third and fourth to last entries in the power table are actual power targets(already saw that in the OC Bios but since that was heavily customized I wasn't sure).

So what I ended up doing was setting the Def and Max of those 2 entries to 125000mW(That's all I've modified from stock). Doing so gave me some pretty impressive results as I was able to go 1050Mhz on the core and 2750Mhz on the VRAM using inspector, what is more impressive though is that gpu boost was doing his own job with the voltages so that it was stable under stress(3D Mark11) by giving it automaticly 1.37V. Temps never even reached 80C.

The 3D Mark11 score was also very good as it reached a score of 7807 in the Graphic Score and all of this while still being able to run any games on battery.

Thank you very much Klem.

I've used that bios you made for me as guideline for customizing with Kepler Bios Tweaker and what I discovered is that the third and fourth to last entries in the power table are actual power targets(already saw that in the OC Bios but since that was heavily customized I wasn't sure).

So what I ended up doing was setting the Def and Max of those 2 entries to 125000mW(That's all I've modified from stock). Doing so gave me some pretty impressive results as I was able to go 1050Mhz on the core and 2750Mhz on the VRAM using inspector, what is more impressive though is that gpu boost was doing his own job with the voltages so that it was stable under stress(3D Mark11) by giving it automaticly 1.37V. Temps never even reached 80C.

The 3D Mark11 score was also very good as it reached a score of 7807 in the Graphic Score and all of this while still being able to run any games on battery.

Have you taken the OC any further to see what it is capable of? Also, I noticed I could play around at least a little bit with the battery settings in the nvidia console, but that only made a minor improvement to games on battery only.

Have you taken the OC any further to see what it is capable of? Also, I noticed I could play around at least a little bit with the battery settings in the nvidia console, but that only made a minor improvement to games on battery only.

I've only gone higher on the VRAM with +500MHz reaching 3000MHz which gave me an impressive performance boost as you can see here

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor,Notebook P15SM-A.

Can't go any higher on the core without increasing volts and Watts and considering my power supply is 180 Watts I really can't go any higher than this.