Samsung introduces 1TB Spinpoint M8 mobile drive **9.5mm**

Jimbo

I know some people were waiting for higher capacity storage drives with standard height, I found this.

"Less than a year after rolling out the 12.5mm thick 1TB Spinpoint MT2 hard drive, Samsung Electronics is taking the spotlight to announce a 1TB 2.5-inch drive with a 'standard' height of 9.5mm, the Spinpoint M8.

samsungspinpointm81tb01.jpg

Samsung's newest mobile solution packs two 500GB platters, has a SATA 3.0 Gbps interface, a working speed of 5400 RPM, 8MB of cache, and includes the EcoSeek and NoiseGuard technologies which ensure a quiet operation.

The 1TB Spinpoint M8 costs $129 and is now shipping worldwide."

Source

• Thumbs Up 2

SATA 3.0 interface and 5400 rpm, what a shame :D But it's great if you need a lot of storage in your mobile system... I wonder how long it will take until there are some 7200 rpm 1TB drives.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice so if you take out the optical drive in an M18 (or any dual hd model) and make it external drive you can have 3 of those drives for a whopping 3 terabytes of mobile storage.

• 2 weeks later...

That's if you don't want speed!! But it's cheaper to do that way especially if you want huge storage i can't wait to buy those drives i got th 12.5 1tb Samsung and it's too big and i really don't know how to mod it and have much money to really mod it all etc.. Then you can run them in raid 0 hopefully that'll give you enough speed. Damn MW86 going to take that long for you to get your M18x?