14" Asus G46VW + GTX780Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (Thundertek) + Win8.1 [ha1o2surfer]

@ha1o2surfer

Thanks buddy!

I know these questions can be seen as extremely basic, but when troubleshooting there is nothing more valuable than to be able to compare to a healthy/functional system.

Yeah the monitor 'not attached' error is something I stumble upon, maybe my external monitor is the problem here(?).

I'm not sure what the problem could be? I did mention this already but I am not using an Apple Branded Thunderbolt cable. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Does the ThunderTek use a 5.5mm x 2.1mm or 5.5mm x 2.5mm power adapter?

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure what those dimensions refer too? The adapter is tip is the same size as most external harddrives adapters. It just provides 2amps instead of 1.

I would be against using anything higher for fear of the traces on the actually thunderbolt card not being large enough to support the '75' watt spec on PCIe.

@ha1o2surfer

Thanks! I was referring to the tip of the power adapter.

jacobsson got it to work by supplying the 75W directly to the thunderbolt card via the 5.5mm x 2.5mm tip. However, I have read somewhere else that the thunderbolt card uses a 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm tip.

• 4 weeks later...

@ha1o2surfer

Hi buddy!

Here is an update for my setup:

I finally got it working but not with the performance I expected.

My procedure has to be done like this (GPU drivers installed):

1. Power up and boot windows 8.1

2. Give power to the eGPU

3. Plug TB to system, the card get recognized but no external screen recognized.

4. Safe remove the eGPU, plug it again: and voila external screen recognized

Plugging twice is the only way I can have it running at the moment, pretty irritating.

Resume from sleep mode w/ eGPU = black screen forever, until hard reboot.

Boot with eGPU attached = BSOD "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" for nvlddmkm.sys

I benchmarked my GTX660 in 3Dmark11 with a lousy ~5300 GPU score :(

I guess I should make a CUDA-Z throughput/bandwidth test for the setup to see what's up...

• 3 weeks later...
@nissefar

Yes you'll need to get 12V power from a secondary power source for heavier GPU's, like ha1o2surfer do.

By the way, you are not in any chance Swedish or Norwegian?

I noticed that it looks like there's a flap on the left side of the back of the Thundertek.

1. Is that actually a flap, or is it something else?

2. Would a power cable from a PSU fit through that way?

*************Need Help********************

I bought all of the stuff above, including a gtx 770 and a cx600 psu, im running bootcamp on a macbook pro, and i need help because none of the fans power on, on the psu or the gpu and windows 8.1 doesn't even find it, message me at [email protected] if you can help and i may offer a reward if it works properly

@arog

First of all, thanks you for your detailed answer!

The 1080 screen seems to be a hard to find item atm, but I've found a B140RTN02.3 for a very fair price.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the B140RTN03.0 and the B140RTN02.3? <- Seem like it's the same display only different release dates.

The specifications tells the exact same details.

EDIT1: I might have found a 1080P B140HTN01.2 for a good price.

EDIT2: It turns out sellers are thinking the 25ms B140HAN0XX is a good substitute for the 8ms B140HTN0XX, c'mooon!

EDIT3: The N140HGE-EAA seem to be a compatible FHD screen as well, a bit pricey on eBay though.

EDIT4: I bought the 1080P N140HGE-EAA, I hope it's nice!

I'm in this same situation at the moment. I'm curious about why you chose the N140HGE-EAA over the B140HTN01.2. I'm about to pull the trigger on that 1080p B140HTN01.2 because I got unlucky with a very low quality panel on mine. Is there any important info I need to know (if you even remember from your search back in May) about the B140HTN01.2?

"I'm in this same situation at the moment. I'm curious about why you chose the N140HGE-EAA over the B140HTN01.2. I'm about to pull the trigger on that 1080p B140HTN01.2 because I got unlucky with a very low quality panel on mine. Is there any important info I need to know (if you even remember from your search back in May) about the B140HTN01.2?"

go ahead and get it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that it looks like there's a flap on the left side of the back of the Thundertek.

1. Is that actually a flap, or is it something else?

2. Would a power cable from a PSU fit through that way?

It might, if not then some quick soldering would work. Just find the +12v/5v/GND rails from the PSU and solder it to the board (if not there is an adapter that can fit the flap).

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Akitio Thunder2 and I'm trying to test it on my G46vw (with TB motherboard 2.2) with a GTX 760 and Corsair CX750M power supply. Basically, the same setup as here except with a 760 instead of 780 Ti (and of course G46 instead of Mac Mini). Just as he does, I have the enclosure powered with it's PSU, and the GPU powered with the 6+8 pins from the ATX PSU. I'm on Windows 8.1, but cannot get it to recognize the card at all, after trying every possible order of plugging in, turning on PSUs, restarting etc. Did you have to do anything in the BIOS or drivers before you could get the device recognized in Windows?

EDIT: Scratch that. After more testing, it is definitely the G46 being unable to connect to TB devices, despite having the rev 2.2 mobo. No idea what would cause this though...

• 1 month later...
Wait a second, I don't have a G46, I have a G750. But there are not so many differences between them I assume, so we can go for a common owner G series lounge.

Video here:

As can be seen, both fans can be turned off completely, NBFC can manipulate the fan speed.

Still not sure if it is glitchy or not, but the results are pretty ok I guess.

Not like it matters the argument, percent also translates into a number after all.

Attached is my profile for both CPU and GPU, I think I just renamed/switched the profiles from other Asus profile and changed a register.

The only issue is that it depends only on CPU temperature, so if it goes outside the range it will also spin the GPU fan as well.

If you don't want this behaviour and you have issues with only the CPU fan, any other single fan (cpu) profile that works is just as good.

Asus ROG G750JW.zip

Hi Arise.

I'm still investigating how to control the fans, when running FC4 for instance I can see core temps of 96c, while fanspeed ~4100RPM (according to NBFC) :S

I just now realized that you've uploaded your profile a long time ago and I totally missed it the first time =)

Have you done any improvements to this profile since the upload or do you use this as your current?

I'm going to test it when I get home tonight and see if it works for the G46VW as well.

Thanks for the good work buddy!

EDIT: Did a test and it worked, but it only pushed it to 4000RPM. Do you think it can be changed to achieve 6000RPM?

@ha1o2surfer

Hi buddy!

I must ask, how do you keep your CPU that cool,

Would you like to describe what your process is for achieving this?

Your CPU heatsink looks as tiny as this one too? (jesus!)

I also use liquid metal between heatsink and CPU, my clockings are 3.9GHz (1-core), 3.8 GHz (3-cores) , 3.8GHz (2-cores), 3.7GHz (4-cores) .

Any tips would make me glad.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Just bought an AsusG46VW from eBay. Unfortunately the board revision is 2.0 so no thunderbolt for me :(

"Edit" Had to replace the powerjack and in the process confirmed that the thunderbolt chip is missing so definitely no thunderbolt for me with this motherboard.

I've also added a very small NGFF M.2 B SATA-Based SSD 32GB using a NGFF M.2 B SATA-Based to MSATA Mini Male Converter Card. Its cheap and there is enough room to install it since the converter card is very small and the SSD is even smaller. Unlike with a standard sized MSATA SSD you can even screw it using the notebooks mount, and so everything is secured. 32GB is just about enough for Windows 8.1.

I recommend this small mod to anyone that has no problem disassembling this laptop (you will need to completely disassemble it). Your boot times will decrease dramatically and Windows will fell a lot faster due to the SSDs much lower access times. The 32GB mean that you may need to disable Windows hibernation (and get around 10GB free SDD space) and also need to install most of your apps/games in the 750GB hard drive and also move the page file to it. Both the SSD and the converter were bought on eBay for the total amount of 26€. Best cost/benefit ratio I ever got from upgrading a laptop. :D

With a modded bios I got some thunderbolt options. Is it just because its unlocked and so it shows all the options or does it mean my motherboard has thunderbolt?

"Edit" Its just because the bios is unlocked.

Is there any sure way of buying a thunderbolt motherboard? And if so, from where?

Any recommended FHD displays for it? Already saw a few references in the forum but its hard to decide witch one to buy.

Thanks in advanced.