14" Asus G46VW + GTX780Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (Thundertek) + Win8.1 [ha1o2surfer]

I'm sure it will be nice. Never even heard of that model. Let us know how the battery lasts with that monitor. I do like to use my laptop on battery on occasion, and even with the 3940xm, I get about 5 1/2 hours internet / wifi use with the 900p monitor. I still haven't found a good place to get that 2.2 motherboard by the way....

I didn't notice any different regarding battery life. I'm currently running a 1080p screen :)

I was referring to idle power consumption.. I idle at 6-7 watts and on battery that equates to impressive battery life ;)

Hi buddy!

You're not very active here I see.

What is your definition of Idle Power Consumption?

I would like to do a fair comparison with similar settings as yours.

Right now I'm struggling to get my mSATA drive recognized, I think it might be faulty :(

being a sole System Administrator is quite busy ;) sorry, I wish I could be more involved.

When I think idle, I think: Screen on half brightness, keyboard backlight off, CPU near 0% (or under 25% if using the laptop) and basically that's it. This is without the eGPU and the laptop sitting by itself plugged in and NOT on battery. If the screen it put to sleep power draw will drop around 3 watts and that is cheating lol If left sit at 7 watts idle I get around 9-10 hours.

Idle at my desk is 17 watts due to my using 4 screens. I have a 2013 Mac Mini sitting next to me (EWW) that is drawing 22 watts and doesn't even have a dedicated GPU and runs an I5-3210m.

As far as the SSD goes, bios needs to be updated and reset afterwards. I use an 840 EVO 1TB mSATA and it hasn't given me any issues......................yet..

• Thumbs Up 1

@ha1o2surfer

Don't worry I understand that you're busy buddy!

..And Thank you for that detailed answer!

My BIOS recognizes my 2.5" SATA SSD but not the mSATA I'm afraid.

The mSATA only showed up briefly at first boot, then nothing (weird) :(

I've tested both BIOS 209 & 210.

1. What do you mean by resetting BIOS?

2. How did you increase your TDP for the CPU?

I might as well ask a few questions while you're here =)

@ha1o2surfer

Don't worry I understand that you're busy buddy!

..And Thank you for that detailed answer!

My BIOS recognizes my 2.5" SATA SSD but not the mSATA I'm afraid.

The mSATA only showed up briefly at first boot, then nothing (weird) :(

I've tested both BIOS 209 & 210.

1. What do you mean by resetting BIOS?

2. How did you increase your TDP for the CPU?

I might as well ask a few questions while you're here =)

1: I mean reset all the settings back to default and see if your SSD shows up. That's what I had to do when I had the same problem as you. You also want to disable Intel SRT in the BIOS (I'm pretty sure there is an option in there as my BIOS is hacked)

2: My BIOS is hacked.. lol if you do a search for Asus G46VW Bios mod you can get in contact with someone who did the actual hack. I'll find his name.

• Thumbs Up 1

1: I mean reset all the settings back to default and see if your SSD shows up. That's what I had to do when I had the same problem as you. You also want to disable Intel SRT in the BIOS (I'm pretty sure there is an option in there as my BIOS is hacked)

2: My BIOS is hacked.. lol if you do a search for Asus G46VW Bios mod you can get in contact with someone who did the actual hack. I'll find his name.

Again thank you!

I found the guy =)

I'll probably come back with questions later, for now let's test the unlocked 209 and 210 BIOS, fingers crossed!

Here are my idle numbers.. excuse my disgusting looking laptop.. I was doing yardwork outside and the wind was blowing sand all over the place.. it's all crunchy now.

Anyways, This is with the backlit keyboard off as the lights can draw up to 2 watts at the middle setting and if you want better battery life it's worth turning them off..

post-4790-14494997777863_thumb.jpg

Don't mine Throttlestop in this image, it shows the CPU using 8 watts but I have "more data" unselected as to not use up CPU cycles. If I took the picture a couple seconds later it would show the CPU at 2.9 watts idle. Also it says I have a 3630QM.. which is also incorrect (it was my old CPU), I need to get a fresh install of throttle stop at some point haha

post-4790-14494997778641_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

You can't buy a G46VW with thunderbolt. They were never released. I had to source the motherboard from a company in Korea who had to use their contacts to find one. Also, it wont show up in the device manager unless there is a thunderbolt device connected as it disables the chip to save power.

As for your first request on the benchmark and temps. Sure thing!

EDIT: wPrime

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11606[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11607[/ATTACH]

Wow can't believe you hit only 81c MAX on 3.8GHz 4-cores! :S

My results are terrible right now:

I hit thermal throttling ~92c on x37 4-cores, then it goes down to x36:

1024M = 240s

Do you wanna share how you configure your CPU in BIOS/windows/hardware to keep it so insanely cool?!

My TDP BIOS settings right now are:

1-Core Ratio Limit -> 41

2-Core Ratio Limit -> 40

3-Core Ratio Limit -> 39

4-Core Ratio Limit -> 38

Long duration Power Limit - > 65

Long duration maintained -> 120

Short duration Power Limit -> 85

Thanks!

EDIT: just got informed that TS should be re-installed or at least be reseted when changing CPU, which I have not.

I'll update my this post.

Wow can't believe you hit only 81c MAX on 3.8GHz 4-cores! :S

My results are terrible right now:

I hit thermal throttling ~92c on x37 4-cores, then it goes down to x36:

1024M = 240s

Do you wanna share how you configure your CPU in BIOS/windows/hardware to keep it so insanely cool?!

My TDP BIOS settings right now are:

1-Core Ratio Limit -> 41

2-Core Ratio Limit -> 40

3-Core Ratio Limit -> 39

4-Core Ratio Limit -> 38

Long duration Power Limit - > 65

Long duration maintained -> 120

Short duration Power Limit -> 85

Thanks!

Think what you are seeing is the higher binning of the i7-3840QM CPUs here. Aikimox posted temp data in the 2570P thread about his i7-3840QM. It too ran incredibly cool never getting anywhere near TJmax.

Think what you are seeing is the higher binning of the i7-3840QM CPUs here. Aikimox posted temp data in the 2570P thread about his i7-3840QM showing. It too ran incredibly cool never getting anywhere near TJmax.

Well then I should probably change to a 3840QM then :S

These temps are not even comparable right now!

Think what you are seeing is the higher binning of the i7-3840QM CPUs here. Aikimox posted temp data in the 2570P thread about his i7-3840QM. It too ran incredibly cool never getting anywhere near TJmax.

It really is, my voltage was never above 1.89 even while drawing 70+watts at 4.1ghz. I am using gallium as my heat transfer material which helps a great deal as well.

It really is, my voltage was never above 1.89 even while drawing 70+watts at 4.1ghz. I am using gallium as my heat transfer material which helps a great deal as well.

I ordered Coollaboratory Liquid Pro a couple of days ago (I think it's what you have) which uses gallium =)

I'm gonna reset Throttlestop, forgot to do this after CPU change. Let's hope these current temps are faulty!

Hi Folks!

I've been following these threads for a while, and now I have my parts together.

-Thundertek/PX

-GTX 770

-Unpowered PCI-e 4x to 16x riser

-450watts PSU

-Slim case

One question though, to be certain:

-Can someone tell me in detail how I can replace the Thundertek/PX's power brick (adapter)?

i.e. I have the GTX770 powered by the bij de 8 + 6 pin cables from the PSU.

So, I want this same PSU to power the Thundertek board.

The brick is 12v 2A.

Which PSU cables can I use to put power on the board. (I have a 5.5mm jack with two wires)

Thanks for helping me out here!

I ordered Coollaboratory Liquid Pro a couple of days ago (I think it's what you have) which uses gallium =)

I'm gonna reset Throttlestop, forgot to do this after CPU change. Let's hope these current temps are faulty!

You won't need Throttle Stop to get performance. Since the BIOS has the options needed (and I can give you mine) throttlestop doesn't do a thing unless you want to monitor. This isn't the HP elitebook forum, this is where the big boy CPU's play ;) hehehe just kidding

You won't need Throttle Stop to get performance. Since the BIOS has the options needed (and I can give you mine) throttlestop doesn't do a thing unless you want to monitor. This isn't the HP elitebook forum, this is where the big boy CPU's play ;) hehehe just kidding

Haha agreed =)

I still don't like my temps atm,

Could you share what BIOS settings you use for TDP and CPU?

"uTDP set to 72watts", how did you do this?

Thanks!

EDIT: And why have a limited turbo duration, mine is maxed at 120s?

For example: It runs 4-cores 2.7GHz then falls back, no matter temp, to 2.5GHz (probably after 120s).

Are you guys manipulating fan profiles at all with the unlocked bios? I don't notice a difference..you can't really get the fans to go higher I find. It's hardware controlled apparently. You guys should probably compare what your ambient temps are though as that could really be a big factor.

I'm guessing people are able to put the fan to full blast on the 2570p...the G46 fans cannot be controlled in the bios, or through software...and that's the main issue with the G46.

On my Asus G750 found out that I can control the fans manually. But is complicated.

I assume that it is the same on G46vw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please share =)

I do think "notebook fan control" can do this.

EDIT: Yes it works, I use the "ASUS M52VA" -profile.

I said manually. :)

Yes, nbfc can also control the fans by writing to the ec registers, but I feel it can't achieve max fan speed. Don't know exactly why.

Also, I believe is not working flawless, bug free, because EC memory access should be made in a syncronized mode.

The proper way would be via ACPI calls, unfortunatelly on Windows is not possible to make acpi calls without the help of a kernel mode driver. Such drivers needs also to be signed in order to work.

I said manually. :)

Yes, nbfc can also control the fans by writing to the ec registers, but I feel it can't achieve max fan speed. Don't know exactly why.

Also, I believe is not working flawless, bug free, because EC memory access should be made in a syncronized mode.

The proper way would be via ACPI calls, unfortunatelly on Windows is not possible to make acpi calls without the help of a kernel mode driver. Such drivers needs also to be signed in order to work.

So by manually you want put a integer as argument, unlike this case a slider?

At least according HWmonitor the fans hit 100% what I can see.

Good enough for me!

Not like it matters the argument, percent also translates into a number after all.

Attached is my profile for both CPU and GPU, I think I just renamed/switched the profiles from other Asus profile and changed a register.

The only issue is that it depends only on CPU temperature, so if it goes outside the range it will also spin the GPU fan as well.

If you don't want this behaviour and you have issues with only the CPU fan, any other single fan (cpu) profile that works is just as good.

Asus ROG G750JW.zip

What is hwtools anyway?

• Thumbs Up 1