14" Asus G46VW + GTX780Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (Thundertek) + Win8.1 [ha1o2surfer]

Thanks for posting your findings.

I think a video guide would be cool. Have you compared the performance of this versus a desktop of similar specs? My concern is...is there bandwidth limitation for an egpu setup like this. I thought that is why most people opted for mid-range desktop Gpu when using an egpu set up....because this kind of setup has limited bandwidth for some reason? Or does thunderbolt provide a lot more bandwidth then other ports people set up egpus with.

Also wondering why go with a 780ti? Are you running 2560x1600 monitor? Anyway great stuff and good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got myself a G46VW today and went to "macforum" (apple store) first thing.

Once there I asked to test a thunderbolt display, aaaand voila!

(Sorry for the bad picture, but I hurried out from that place :S )

post-6049-14494997685075_thumb.jpg

If looking closely you can see an apple logo on the display, the 'device manager' window open and the ROG-logo desktop background.

I'm currently waiting for my ThunderTek -adapter :)

Got myself a G46VW today and went to "macforum" (apple store) first thing.

Once there I asked to test a thunderbolt display, aaaand voila!

(Sorry for the bad picture, but I hurried out from that place :S )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11662[/ATTACH]

If looking closely you can see an apple logo on the display, the 'device manager' window open and the ROG-logo desktop background.

I'm currently waiting for my ThunderTek -adapter :)

Ok I got a question for you and the OP:

To the OP, what was your motherboard version # on newegg?

To jacobsson, what is your motherboard version #?

Maybe we can narrow down which versions of the g46 motherboard have thunderbolt, and which do not.

There are four revisions of the motherboard. Rev 1.0, 1.2, 2.0, and 2.2.

Right now we know 2.2 has thunderbolt. Question is does version 2.0 have thunderbolt? I'm guessing 1.0 and 1.2 does not have thunderbolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont udnerstand why u have to change the motherboard.. i have a g46vw myself and it has thunderbolt portal.

BTW, would the card run at 100% performance with this mod? Or it would be limited?

Also can i use this adapter : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ASUS-THUNDERBOLTEXII-ThunderboltEX-II-Thunderbolt-Adapter-/151276161734?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item2338c30ac6

Its thunderbolt 2

( Im planning on adapting the R9 290)

Rev x.2 have thunderbolt. Rev x.0 do not.

Newegg does not sell any thunderbolt enabled G46Vw's. my motherboard Rev from newegg was 2.0

Is there a way of deducing which is x.2 revision board (1.2, 2.2) with TB port without dismantling the system? If so, can you post some pics of how to do it. Eg: removing the bottom covers, check the info in the bios.

I dont udnerstand why u have to change the motherboard.. i have a g46vw myself and it has thunderbolt portal.

BTW, would the card run at 100% performance with this mod? Or it would be limited?

Also can i use this adapter : New Asus Thunderboltexii Thunderboltex II Thunderbolt Adapter | eBay

Its thunderbolt 2

( Im planning on adapting the R9 290)

The ebay-linked adapter is a PCIe card designed to give a desktop systemboard a Thunderbolt2 port. It cannot be used in a notebook.

The lowest cost Thunderbolt-to-pcie enclosures that can be adapted for eGPU use are the US$199-TB1 Thundertek and US$310-TB2 Sonnet Echo Express SEL as discussed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6689-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-echo-express-iii-d-win8.html#post91184 .

Is there a way of deducing which is x.2 revision board (1.2, 2.2) with TB port without dismantling the system? If so, can you post some pics of how to do it. Eg: removing the bottom covers, check the info in the bios.

The ebay-linked adapter is a PCIe card designed to give a desktop systemboard a Thunderbolt2 port. It cannot be used in a notebook.

The lowest cost Thunderbolt-to-pcie enclosures that can be adapted for eGPU use are the US$199-TB1 Thundertek and US$310-TB2 Sonnet Echo Express SEL as discussed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6689-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-echo-express-iii-d-win8.html#post91184 .

You don't really have to dismantle the whole system, you just have to remove the keyboard, and you'll be able to see what version you have. That's what I did any way. But a poster here did take it to an apple store and was able to connect to a thunderbolt display..and you can also connect a thunderbolt drive and find out that way as another poster here mentioned.

Hi guys,

so I'm sitting here trying to figure out which screen to upgrade my G46VW with.

RIght now I'm sitting on the system standard 720P screen, which has good angles and colors, but too low res. for my taste.

I have problem understanding if the 30pin eDP is a standard or if it vary from system to system (pin out)?

If it is standardized, then basically any 30pin eDP would work interface-wise?

I've seen discussions about the 900P AUO B140RTN03.0 provided by HIDevolution [link], and people seems happy with it (even though the specs. tells me otherwise).

To my surprise, no one is speaking of the 8ms 1080P B140HTN01.2, which has similar specs. to the B14RTN03.0 but FHD. What do you think about this?

The other FHD alternative I found so far is 25ms B140HAN01.1 (HID link), which do not seem very 'gaming-friendly'.

For me the million dollar question right now is, would the Zbook14/420 g1 FHD screen be compatible with our system?

Of course I haven't been able to find any model number or information for this screen yet, if someone do, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Here is table comparing specs. 1080P (proposed by me) VS. 900P (sold by HID) VS. 720P (system standard) VS. 1080P (sold by HID)

Panel Specification Compare - Panelook.com

@Khenglish (you might have some good knowledge here?)

Hi guys,

so I'm sitting here trying to figure out which screen to upgrade my G46VW with.

RIght now I'm sitting on the system standard 720P screen, which has good angles and colors, but too low res. for my taste.

I have problem understanding if the 30pin eDP is a standard or if it vary from system to system (pin out)?

If it is standardized, then basically any 30pin eDP would work interface-wise?

I've seen discussions about the 900P AUO B140RTN03.0 provided by HIDevolution [link], and people seems happy with it (even though the specs. tells me otherwise).

To my surprise, no one is speaking of the 8ms 1080P B140HTN01.2, which has similar specs. to the B14RTN03.0 but FHD. What do you think about this?

The other FHD alternative I found so far is 25ms B140HAN01.1 (HID link), which do not seem very 'gaming-friendly'.

For me the million dollar question right now is, would the Zbook14/420 g1 FHD screen be compatible with our system?

Of course I haven't been able to find any model number or information for this screen yet, if someone do, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Here is table comparing specs. 1080P (proposed by me) VS. 900P (sold by HID) VS. 720P (system standard) VS. 1080P (sold by HID)

Panel Specification Compare - Panelook.com

@Khenglish (you might have some good knowledge here?)

I like the 900p. 1080p is overkill for a 14 inch imo.

I like the 900p. 1080p is overkill for a 14 inch imo.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Could you check which screen model you have? That would mean a lot to me!

It's extremely easy on the G46VW:

Thanks a lot buddy, very nice of you to check!

Could you tell me what you think of this screen, angles, colors, brightness etc?

Brightness levels...this screen can get very bright. I usually use it on the lowest brightness settings.

The matte screen is awesome and does it's job in a well it area but it does have an anti-glare look to it.

Colors seem fine to me, but again, I'm not a screen guy. The only thing I dislike like the plague is any kind of light bleeding, and thankfully the one I have does not have any light bleed or dead pixels.

Viewing angles are fine. If you are sitting down with the display in front of you, and turn the monitor say at a 45 degree angle, I can see text and everything clearly. It's just when you stand up and don't tilt the monitor more downward, the screen will get that washed out look. So if your sitting and standing every 30 seconds I could see this screen being a problem :)

To me it's a definite upgrade over the 768p monitor that's for sure. I thought the stock 768p monitor however, was also good.

I'd say go with the FHD display with the 8ms screen, because I'm interested to see your opinion on it.

@arog

First of all, thanks you for your detailed answer!

The 1080 screen seems to be a hard to find item atm, but I've found a B140RTN02.3 for a very fair price.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the B140RTN03.0 and the B140RTN02.3? <- Seem like it's the same display only different release dates.

The specifications tells the exact same details.

EDIT1: I might have found a 1080P B140HTN01.2 for a good price.

EDIT2: It turns out sellers are thinking the 25ms B140HAN0XX is a good substitute for the 8ms B140HTN0XX, c'mooon!

EDIT3: The N140HGE-EAA seem to be a compatible FHD screen as well, a bit pricey on eBay though.

EDIT4: I bought the 1080P N140HGE-EAA, I hope it's nice!

Sorry about being away for so long guys! Busy days at work and haven't had much time to think! haha I was debating upgrading my screen but I worry a lot about power consumption and found the 768 screen to draw the least so I am sticking with that!

Sorry about being away for so long guys! Busy days at work and haven't had much time to think! haha I was debating upgrading my screen but I worry a lot about power consumption and found the 768 screen to draw the least so I am sticking with that!

EDIT: Problem solved, I managed to stuff it nicely into a project box:

post-6049-14494997708669_thumb.jpg

post-6049-14494997707884_thumb.jpg

But one thing:

Do the GPU power up directly from the your ATX (and molex powered riser) when turning the PSU on, or do you have to connect the Thunderbolt cable to the system to make the GPU power up?

(I have no TB cable yet, but I'd like to see the GPU spin up at least, hoping I didn't destroy my riser or TB-PCB))

EDIT: Firmtek answered that the PCB turns on when the thunderbolt cable is connected to the system.

@arog

First of all, thanks you for your detailed answer!

The 1080 screen seems to be a hard to find item atm, but I've found a B140RTN02.3 for a very fair price.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the B140RTN03.0 and the B140RTN02.3? <- Seem like it's the same display only different release dates.

The specifications tells the exact same details.

EDIT1: I might have found a 1080P B140HTN01.2 for a good price.

EDIT2: It turns out sellers are thinking the 25ms B140HAN0XX is a good substitute for the 8ms B140HTN0XX, c'mooon!

EDIT3: The N140HGE-EAA seem to be a compatible FHD screen as well, a bit pricey on eBay though.

EDIT4: I bought the 1080P N140HGE-EAA, I hope it's nice!

I'm sure it will be nice. Never even heard of that model. Let us know how the battery lasts with that monitor. I do like to use my laptop on battery on occasion, and even with the 3940xm, I get about 5 1/2 hours internet / wifi use with the 900p monitor. I still haven't found a good place to get that 2.2 motherboard by the way....

I was referring to idle power consumption.. I idle at 6-7 watts and on battery that equates to impressive battery life ;)

That's awesome! Let's hope my SSD and low voltage memory can make up for some of that extra power consumption yielded by the 1080P screen.

You're of most welcome to read/comment/interact in my thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6858-%5Bguide%5D-14-asus-g46vw-gtx670%4010gbps-tb1-thundertek-3d-enclosure.html

It'll fill up with more content during the coming week when I hopefully receive my TB cable (found a used 2m apple branded for $20).