GTX 880m 8go on M17X R4 120Hz 3D screen problem ?

Manu369

if it can help someone

M17x-R4

8DG8P AMD Wimbledon XT 7970m Kit (Video Card 747M2 + Support Plate 3PVGK)

0MMPT AMD Wimbledon XT 7970m Heat Sink + Fan

747M2 AMD Wimbledon XT 7970m Card

3PVGK AMD Wimbledon XT 7970m Support Plate

MH8KM GeForce NV13E-G GTX680m Kit (Video Card CPCXD + Heatsink 9CNMG)

C0XGT GeForce NV13E-GS1 GTX675m Kit (Video Card HXD3N + Support Plate 3MHHT)

MT1DN GeForce NV13E-GS1 GTX675m Heat Sink + Fan

HXD3N GeForce NV13E-GS1 GTX675m Card

3MHHT GeForce NV13E-GS1 GTX675m Support Plate

5H5NC GeForce N13E-GE GTX660m Kit (Video Card M3XJV + Support Plate 3MHHT)

TDMDJ GeForce N13E-GE GTX660m Heat Sink + Fan

M3XJV GeForce N13E-GE GTX660m Card

3MHHT GeForce N13E-GE GTX660m Support Plate

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry I'm not sure to understand, what do you mean by service tag# the numbers of my laptop ? and I must send it somewhere ?

My understanding from what's being said is that it's cheaper to buy the heatsink you need directly from Dell, while quoting your service tag to them. Each Dell laptop has a service tag that you can find on your invoice or it's even listed in your system BIOS screens somewhere. Just make sure you ask for the specific part number of the heatsink version you want: P/N 9CNMG.

I contacted by live chat, they told me current price is 29usd but they can't send outside of USA, so I try to contact my french dell support.

05/26/2014 06:07:17AM Agent (Tariq B): "I can help you with the USA price for his part"
05/26/2014 06:07:32AM Agent (Tariq B): "It is $29.99 + shipping + taxes"
  • Thumbs Up 1

ok , very hard by phone

french price :

9CNMG 29.70€

shipping fee : 25€

total price with V.A.T = 65.64€ = 89.54 USD :sure:

Seems favourable to ebay prices though, and especially seeing as though that part number isn't even listed for sale at the moment on ebay - and it will be new & not used! Not too bad!

I contacted by live chat, they told me current price is 29usd but they can't send outside of USA, so I try to contact my french dell support.

05/26/2014 06:07:17AM Agent (Tariq B): "I can help you with the USA price for his part"
05/26/2014 06:07:32AM Agent (Tariq B): "It is $29.99 + shipping + taxes"

TAX + Shipment FEE is always the problem for those outside US just like me. I wish Dell Korea had ever imported ivy bridge alienware.. then I'd pay for complete care for 5 yrs. They just started to import and sell Haswell alienware which I think is inferior to IvyBridge in terms of CPU performance.

TAX + Shipment FEE is always the problem for those outside US just like me.

I wish Dell Korea had ever imported ivy bridge alienware.. then I'd pay for complete care for 5 yrs.

They just started to import and sell Haswell alienware which I think is inferior to IvyBridge in terms of CPU performance.

godfafa what number of driver do you use ? On my side, only 337.23 works properly, all version after that not working and make throttle, I try several thing for resolve the problem but nothing to do.

Any news about unlock Vbios for the 880m ?

@Manu369

I really dont care about the driver now because every driver has that problem for me and had same problem when I used 780m too.

Since 780m's era, there always has been throttle due to TDP lock with stock vbios. This happens with usually every driver version.

You can use MSI Kombustor to find out the reason. Set it to window screen & DirectX9 and run a stress test, and you will find TDP hitting 100% and a abrupt down-clock.

With 780m's unlocked vbios, no OC but 5~10% TDP unlock can handle this.

Maybe this is because GK104 can't run at this high clock with stock TDP(117 or 122w or whatever).

I am sure with 880m unlocked vbios, this throttle will just wash out with TDP unlock.

What do you mean by TDP lock ? I don't know what is it.

edit : okay I found this : http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/11/11/what-does-tdp-mean-nvidia/

So I don't understand why this TDP is locked ? because 880m seem work properly on the new alienware. Is is because the R4 have not the same configuration ?

If I understand, with vbios unlock, we can resolve this problem like for the 780m ? So just need to have this unlock vbios now :)

@Manu369

Almost everything in electronic world has TDP lock. CPU has, some MOBO has too.

I dont know why but my best guess is that it is needed for stability and due to power limit of PSU.

As you know, the PSU for alienware 17 (or m17x R4) is 240w.

CPU eats 50w, GPU 120w. There isn't much room left even for 240w PSU which is alreay very high compared to other vendor such as msi or asus. If TDP for 880m is like 150w, msi or assus won;t be able to put it in their MOBO due to power limit of PSU. Anyway this is my guess.

Let's get back to gtx 880m throttle..

GTX 880m works same in R4 and in new alienware.

Think this way. 780m and 880m are built the same except the core clock and memory.

880m has about 150 higher core clock than 780m.

If 880m works well, 3dmark11 score must equal to that of 780m OCed 150 for core, however it doesn't.

For me with 3940xm, 780m + 150core OC shows 3dmark11 score of p9200. But with 880m which basically runs at the same clock doens't get that score.

It only shows about p8600 for me. And for the new alienware without CPU OC, the p-score of 3dmark11 are about p8400~8500.

And, yes it also throttles in the new alienware too.

If stock 880m 3dmark11 p-score isn't near 9k, it means it thorottles.

And I am sure unlocked vbios can solve this for 880m.

yes but when I speak about throttle, it's a very hard throttle on my side. For me when I change for a recent driver I have this score : Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3840QM,Alienware M17xR4

I'm curious to know what is your score if you use the latest driver

please confirm me, unlock vbios for 880m is always not available ?

yes but when I speak about throttle, it's a very hard throttle on my side. For me when I change for a recent driver I have this score : Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3840QM,Alienware M17xR4

I'm curious to know what is your score if you use the latest driver

please confirm me, unlock vbios for 880m is always not available ?

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4 (CPU @ 4.5)

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4 (CPU @ 4.4)

I never had that low score. Maybe you are right that we are talking a different story.

That's too low for 880m. I've heard some people with new alienware has p7k occasionally, but 2k is too low.

No unlocked vbios for 880m yet.

What is your current driver version ?

It's strange if you use another version of 337.23, I can't have this score with the new drivers.

This is my score with 337.23 (other new versions make hard throttle)

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3840QM,Alienware M17xR4

you have the same problem here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/746259-my-nvidia-gtx-880m-test-run-review.html#post9577480

Now we are getting somewhere. As usual, stuff is broken out the gate. So now that we have addressed most of the throttling I decide to go ahead and start running some real benchmarks. What I found out was the new drivers break the card! If you crash one to many times your card will always down clock. Why? I have no clue. I had to use 327.23 drivers which ran perfect the whole time. Including gaming. I’ll get into that part much later. It seems that after a few driver not responding errors or driver crash errors your 900.00 dollar card wants to now run like an intel 4k GPU. Even stock will not work correctly anymore. You have to go through a whole lot to correct this situation (Only to crash again and have to go through the whole process again) or just use an earlier driver to bypass this nonsense altogether. Now who thought this would be a great idea, huh? Double Facepalm! This must be at least one of the reasons why there is no official 880M driver yet. This was tested across at least 2 machines (The M15X and the M18XR2) and all drivers in the 331 and higher class. With people who know what they are doing. So there are no speculations here.

@Manu369

The day beore yesterday, I changed to the newest driver 337.88 WHQL and the score was the same.

For me the driver version didn't really matter. All driver get me about 8420 graphic score and p8600.

The quote you linked, I've read before. But that thread that @johnksss wrote was written about 3months ago.

I got gtx 880m a few weeks ago, and the oldest driver I've tried to 880m was 335.xx and nothing bad happened to me.

Umm, so because we have the similar product and same windows 7 x64, It's strange that you have not this problem.

Have you modify someting in your bios ? which version are you use ? (my current version is A12 from dell website).

About 880m it is a MSI version ?

What is your PSU power ?

Thank by advance

Umm, so because we have the similar product and same windows 7 x64, It's strange that you have not this problem.

Have you modify someting in your bios ? which version are you use ? (my current version is A12 from dell website).

About 880m it is a MSI version ?

What is your PSU power ?

Thank by advance

I am using A11 unlocked BIOS that I got here.

I've disabled IG and set primary display to be PEG, and done some more change for CPU OC in bios.

MSR lock disabled, some changes for CPU OC, and bidirectional PROCHOT disabled.

I use "Dell vendor" GTX 880m, and 330w PSU at home and 240w PSU at office but both scored the same.