GTX 880m 8go on M17X R4 120Hz 3D screen problem ?

Manu369

Hello someone have a link for find "Fujipoly Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - Sheet - 150 x 100 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 11.0 W/mK" with a good price ?

In europe it seem be not easy to find

Fujipoly Europe Ltd (UK) Thermal Interface Materials from Fujipoly America | Fujipoly Locations

Using the stock pads (good condition) try rearranging the thermal pad layout covering all the important components as shown in the picture. If the stock pads are insufficient, then wait until the proper ones arrive. That is the whole idea...:) Post pictures!

Modded nvdmi.inf v337.81

ok I checked and the problem is always here, I think because in R4 780m is good because is 100W but 880m is 125W, the heatsink just can not be able to dissipate the heat for a long time so it need to be mod. I ordered a laptop cooler u3 for help to dissipate the heat with fan. I wait for test.

The best thing would be a full copper heatsink for R4 version but I think it doesn't exist.

ok I checked and the problem is always here, I think because in R4 780m is good because is 100W but 880m is 125W, the heatsink just can not be able to dissipate the heat for a long time so it need to be mod. I ordered a laptop cooler u3 for help to dissipate the heat with fan. I wait for test.

The best thing would be a full copper heatsink for R4 version but I think it doesn't exist.

I disagree based on the info you've posted. In Post #45 you say that your GPU core temperature was 69 degC. This proves that you're cooling the GPU core without issue, but instead points to the other components on the card not being padded up properly & overheating, thereby creating your instability (because you admitted that you didn't move the pads around on the heatsink to fit the 880M after coming from your 660M).

I moved the pads on the good position but always the same thing, I'm waiting for have the Fujipoly pads.

yes about the GPU but the other components are clearly more heat than my 660m and the aluminum on the top burn my finger when I touch it.

I don't know where is the probe for measuring the temperature on the 880m by the computer.

I moved the pads on the good position but always the same thing, I'm waiting for have the Fujipoly pads.

yes about the GPU but the other components are clearly more heat than my 660m and the aluminum on the top burn my finger when I touch it.

I don't know where is the probe for measuring the temperature on the 880m by the computer.

The temperature probe for the GPU is located somewhere within the GPU core - it's a core temperature readout. Hmmm, if the problems you're having ARE related to overheating, then it's going to be the padded areas if you say your GPU core is only 69 degC, simple as that really. The only thing I can think of advising is making sure those pads are padded up perfectly & using those Fujipoly pads that j95 mentioned. Post up pics of your heatsink. j95 had asked you to do that, he wanted to check you have the same heatsink as him, which would prove your heatsink is perfectly capable of cooling your GPU and makes certain that his recommendations for padding depths are valid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I come with some news, I finaly received the thermal Fujipoly pads from frozencpu for be sure to have the best way to dissipate the heat.

So first this is the heatsink from my 660m (code name is : AT0MK0020F0) it is a 75W heatsink ??

post-26058-14494997698007_thumb.jpg

Heatsink with the 880m and with thermal pads (like show on the 780m model) installed :

post-26058-14494997700127_thumb.jpg

First bad news, after checking again and again, I seen that this heatsink is not compatible with the thermal pad installation from the 780m (0.5) just look :

post-26058-14494997699511_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the gap is approximatly 0.5mm because the 880m GPU is more higher than 660m. So for have all chips in contact with the heatsink, I need to have 1mm on memory and 1.5mm / 2mm on the little chips.

but after that, bad news again, when I supposed, the screen freeze when I use the 3D after 10 minutes.

I'm now sure that problem come from the overheat because when I open the bottom case and put 80mm fan directly on the gpu card, I can play a game for 8 hours without problems. I tested to put 80mm fan in full speed with the bottom case, but the gpu card crash after 10 or 15 minutes because compared with the new alienware, the R4 have not a very good ventilation.

So after several test, I'm pretty sure that problem come from the heatsink (need to be confirmed) but I suppose this heatsink for 660m is 75W heatsink, the curent 880m produce 125W, it's simply too lot for dissipated all this heat.

I seen on the new R5 alienware different heatsink with more copper like that but completely paint in black for more discretion :

post-26058-14494997699011_thumb.jpg

I think I need a heat sink of minimum 100W and have more ventilation for dissipated the 125W of the 880m or it's just not possible to use.

If people who have already install 880m in the r4 model can confirm it ?

After freeze :

post-26058-14494997699809_thumb.jpg

Just for information with a 80mm fan ventilation, without the bottom case, GPU probe indicated 69° maximum after 8 hours of gaming.

post-26058-14494997697684_thumb.jpg

post-26058-14494997698328_thumb.jpg

post-26058-14494997698651_thumb.jpg

post-26058-14494997699195_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

First bad news, after checking again and again, I seen that this heatsink is not compatible with the thermal pad installation from the 780m (0.5) just look :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11708[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11709[/ATTACH]

As you can see, the gap is approximatly 0.5mm because the 880m GPU is more higher than 660m. So for have all chips in contact with the heatsink, I need to have 1mm on memory and 1.5mm / 2mm on the little chips.

Add a second or third layer to fill the gaps as shown above (only), cover the memory chips on the back of the card using the old pads(2mm) and remove the plastic cover from the pads. Place the pads directly on the heatsink and clean the components, put them together. Now you should see greyish spots on the components proving proper contact. If the problem persists you'll need to replace the heat sink with this one P/N 9CNMG 100W.

P/N 0TDMDJ (AT0MK0020F0) 75W http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-Nvidia-Video-Graphics-Card-M17x-R3-R4-Heat-Sink-75W-GTX660M-TDMDJ-/161004188524?pt=US_Fan_Heatsin_Brackets_Accs&hash=item257c98f36c

post-3012-14494997700442_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay so it's confirm there exist 75W and 100w heatsink on R4 , some people said that it always the same heatsink for 660m 675m and 680m.

The Ebay price is just incredible.... Very expensive for this kind of product

As you can see on the picture I already removed the plastic cover from the pads and as mentioned, I put 1mm on memory and 1.5mm / 2mm on the little chips but it's not very efficient. Now you confirm it is 75W, it's not enough for dissipate the heat.

When I see for example the clevo laptop (full copper heatsink), It's a pity to not find this kind of heatsink on an alienware.

Do you have picture of 100W heatsink ? I see many heatsink on Ebay, different price but often not correct description... The best is to find the 880m heatsink from the alienware R5, interior is the same structure like in R4

Okay so it's confirm there exist 75W and 100w heatsink on R4 , some people said that it always the same heatsink for 660m 675m and 680m.

The Ebay price is just incredible.... Very expensive for this kind of product

As you can see on the picture I already removed the plastic cover from the pads and as mentioned, I put 1mm on memory and 1.5mm / 2mm on the little chips but it's not very efficient. Now you confirm it is 75W, it's not enough for dissipate the heat.

When I see for example the clevo laptop (full copper heatsink), It's a pity to not find this kind of heatsink on an alienware.

Do you have picture of 100W heatsink ? I see many heatsink on Ebay, different price but often not correct description... The best is to find the 880m heatsink from the alienware R5, interior is the same structure like in R4

GTX660m had a different heatsink but 580m(R3), 675m, 680m are sharing the same heatsink.

And for 780m/880m, I dont know what people use but in my m17x R4 I used to use 680m's heatsink for 780m for nearly 10mo and had no temp issue.

And now using the same heatsink for my new 880m.

Hello, glad to heard that you can use 680m heatsink without problem.

Have you a picture ? I really would like know what is the difference between the 660m and the other heatsink.

Hello, right now I dont have a picture.

But I can link ebay picture for you.

New Genuine Dell Alienware M17x R3 R4 GPU Heatsink MT1DN 0MT1DN AT0MK0030F0 | eBay

this is a picture of 675,680m heatsink of m17x R4. (or 580m heasink of m17x R3.. they are identical)

As you can see, the heatpipe and "somepart of sink" is copper.

Genuine Dell Alienware M17x R4 Video GPU Card Heatsink Module P N TDMDJ | eBay

now this one is for 660m. the difference is clearly the copper part on the rectangular part.

I am not sure if there is more differences between these two, but that's the only part I found myself.

And I am note sure if these are called 75w / 100w heatsink.

I know there are nvidia 75w and 100w heasink for m18x and on the heatsink of m18x, it is printed as nv75w or nv100w.

One more thing I'd want to mention is that 780m and 880m were never meant for m17x R4.

GTX780m and 880m were build for m17x R5 (or alienware 17) and I dont think m17x R4 can share heatsink with the new alienware 17.

I dont know if the heasink for 680m is okay for 780m or 880m, however we actually dont have any other choice here.

• Thumbs Up 1

@godfafa, I found those heatsinks too after doing an ebay search now (675M R3/R4 heatsinks):

Dell Alienware M17x-R3 & R4 GeForce NV13E-GS1 GTX675m GPU Heatsink MT1DN | eBay

NEW GENUINE DELL ALIENWARE M17X R3 R4 GPU HEATSINK MT1DN 0MT1DN AT0MK0030F0 | eBay

Those heatsinks are not the same part number as P/N 9CNMG 100W that j95 listed as compatible however (couldn't find P/N 9CNMG on ebay) . @J95, do you know if those 2 links to ebay above are compatible for Manu? @Manu369, maybe do a google search to see if you can find out whether the 675M R4 heatsink is compatible with the 780M - there might be someone that has used it with sucess. These heatsinks look more efficient than the one you're using (copper).

@Robbo

I have used that 675/680m heatsink with 780m for more than 10 months on my m17x R4 without any temperature problem, and now I am using 880m on it too.

But, as you know and as I've mentioned, 780m and 880m were never designed for m17x R4.

And I've never tried the new gpu heatsink from m17x R5 (=new alienware17) to m17x R4.

@Manu369

If I were you, I'd just get a 675m gpu heatsink untill you are assured that the new alienware GPU heatsink fits physically to m17x R4.

Manu369: I wouldn't bother considering the R5 heatsinks, I don't think they'll fit in your R4. Godfafa has successfully used the 675M heatsink with 780M & 880M, so if you're planning on buying another heatsink, then I reckon you could go with the links that I posted. Godfafa, Manu369, do you reckon that's a good idea?

What is your current temperature in full charge with 880m ?

Can you use your GPU in full charge without problem and without ventilation in normal condition ?

I've tried 680m, 780m and 880m in the same system (m17x R4).

The temps are very cool. Actually temperature for all the three GPUs were only 66~68 degree celssius after 3dmark11 with stock vbios. (no OC)

Without any overclock, they never went more than 76 degree celssius whatever I do.

I found that all GPUs were similar in temperature with stock vbios and as @Prema has said in other thread, that 880m is able to run at a higher clock with lower voltage than 780m, 880m is faster but as cool as 780m and also 780m was cool as 680m for me.

I never had temperature problem. It's summer here in Korea now.

I am not sure what you meant by "ventilation" but if you are meaning external fan, I never use a external fan for alienware.

Just a coke cap to raise the rear part of my laptop.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

- - - Updated - - -

Manu369: I wouldn't bother considering the R5 heatsinks, I don't think they'll fit in your R4. Godfafa has successfully used the 675M heatsink with 780M & 880M, so if you're planning on buying another heatsink, then I reckon you could go with the links that I posted. Godfafa, Manu369, do you reckon that's a good idea?

Yup, 675m heatsink worked 100% well for me and all my Korean fellows in our Korean Alienware Forum in m17x R4.

Heatsinks:

MT1DN is the same as NV13E-GS1 = 675M/680M, it will work without any modding.

P/N 9CNMG / 680M " "

P/N V1K2G / 580M requires modding.

Insane prices on ebay (used), Dell charges $25 w/ pads included.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heatsinks:

P/N 9CNMG / 680M " "

Oh I thought 580m had the same heatsink as 675m. I was wrong about that.

I envy all of you guys in the States .... R4 was never imported to Korea.

Sad...

• Thumbs Up 1

@Manu369, it looks like you've got your answers you need now if you want to replace your heatsink, in terms of which one to buy. It does seem to be the problem, given that when you take the bottom cover off the laptop & point a fan at the GPU then it works fine without crashing. It sounds like you know what you're doing with the padding up from your pictures - showing that you knew you needed to add more pads in some areas in comparison to using j95's padding guide (different heatsink I guess). So, it looks like buying a new heatsink is the way forward!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I thought 580m had the same heatsink as 675m. I was wrong about that.

I envy all of you guys in the States .... R4 was never imported to Korea.

Sad...

V1K2G has 3.5mm gap that needs padding and the black metal part doesn't fully cover those chips.

post-3012-14494997700995_thumb.png...:D

• Thumbs Up 1

Heatsinks:

P/N 9CNMG / 680M " "

Okay so 9CNMG and MT1DN is the same product ?

Have you a link for buy this heatsink ? I search on dell part website but I don't find them...