GTX 880m 8go on M17X R4 120Hz 3D screen problem ?

Manu369

Hahaha, open device manager -> Device Adapters -> Hardware Ids

NVIDIA_DEV.1198.057B.1028 = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M

Where I do this ?

Nvidia Inspector

Nvidia 327.23...International folder\ delete the following folders -> Display.Optimus -> Display.Update -> GFExperience -> GFExperience.NvStreamC -> GFExperience.NVStreamSrv -> MS.NET -> NVVAD

Installation don't want continu : essential files are missing

No problem, you could try creating a restore point (DDU) and install v331.61. If it still fails just restore to previous driver, giving up...:P or it will be a lonely night...;)

Just been reading this thread this morning. I reckon it's not a software or vBIOS problem Manu369 is having. Maybe one of his components on the MXM board is heating up too much & causing the crashing: considering it happens after about 5 mins of gaming. This would be a component that does not have a temperature sensor associated with it, as I see his GPU core temperatures are OK. I would guess that it might not be padded up properly & one of the critical components on the board is not in contact with the heatsink at all. j95 provided a good picture to show the depth & position of the pads, if I was Manu369 I would double check the pad placement.

Hello I checked and all pad are correctly placed and I tried to load game with a big fan under the laptop (33cm fan) the temperature remained low but the laptop continu to crash after few minutes, sometime after 2mn , sometime more.

The problem seem come from nvlddmkm.sys file, when you write this file on google, there are several thread about this problem so I don't think that problem come from the hardware. The best easy way seem to be to update the driver but at moment, I can't, no other driver version works properly.

example procedure (not working for me) : http://www.ehow.com/how_7182639_repair-nvlddmkm_sys-error.html

Hmmm, weird, but I don't get how it can run a game for pretty much always 5 mins and then crash. That just seems to me to really smack of something just gradually heating up & then overheating over time. Well, you've said you checked all the pads are contacting all the chips, but I am surprised. Good luck with it though, hope you can solve it, I don't have any other suggestions bar what's already been mentioned in this thread.

EDIT: just a thought on pad placement. Maybe you have a different heatsink to j95, and his pad depth guides might not be suitable if that's the case. You said you had the 660M I think, so maybe the 660M heatsink for the R4 is different to whatever j95 was using.

Maybe but for checking, I need to remove the graphic card again for compare with the 660m.

I kept the pad from the 660m so....

I continued my tests today

With open the laptop big fan under and big airflow, it's seem be good, no crash for now. I must continu for be sure.

This is the 3d mark score without optimisation, just for test :

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3840QM,Alienware M17xR4

Also when I run a game with no big 3d scene or model like Rayman for example, the laptop don't crash so I guess the laptop crash when a big 3d scene or model need to be calculate.

Maybe but for checking, I need to remove the graphic card again for compare with the 660m.

I kept the pad from the 660m so....

I continued my tests today

With open the laptop big fan under and big airflow, it's seem be good, no crash for now. I must continu for be sure.

This is the 3d mark score without optimisation, just for test :

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3840QM,Alienware M17xR4

Also when I run a game with no big 3d scene or model like Rayman for example, the laptop don't crash so I guess the laptop crash when a big 3d scene or model need to be calculate.

So you didn't move the pads around on the heatsink to match your 880M, you just left them as they were?! If that's the case, then you're almost certainly got one or 2 components on there that aren't covered, so I think it's overheating if that's the case. Your big air flow test also supports what I'm saying. It's important to pad up all the components.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Manu369, so you didn't follow my instructions...:Banane13: The 660m thermal pad layout is completely different, not 1 or 2 but many components. That also explains the core High temperature...:D

It's getting better...the temperature is high (70-75C). Probably causing these issues, check if the vents, heat sink radiator, GPU fan are clean and elevate the laptop. If temps are still high you will need to re-paste the GPU, thin thermal pads are better at keeping proper contact between GPU die and heat sink.

Thermal Pad Placement (780M) - Fujipoly Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - Sheet - 150 x 100 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 11.0 W/mK

m0d5.png

gtx 660m

post-3012-14494997591198_thumb.png

Yes :D just seen that the 2 parts (1 mm on the right) are not covered.

I though that all was good because the original pads are huge and cover all the rest, but I don't seen the 2 little parts. Monday, I go order some new pads at my electronic market, I hope it will resolve the problem.

But currently the aluminum on the heatsink is very hot.

About GPU, the temperature max is 69°c in full charge.

Yes :D just seen that the 2 parts (1 mm on the right) are not covered.

I though that all was good because the original pads are huge and cover all the rest, but I don't seen the 2 little parts. Monday, I go order some new pads at my electronic market, I hope it will resolve the problem.

But currently the aluminum on the heatsink is very hot.

About GPU, the temperature max is 69°c in full charge.

DOH! Looks like we've gotten to the root of the problem then! Don't use your GPU heavily until you re-pad it. Actually, you're probably better off not using your laptop, or putting back your old card until the new pads arrive, you don't want to risk damaging any of the components on the GPU board. And from what j95 knows about the differences between 660M and 880M it looks like it's probably more than just those 2 little chips that you have that aren't covered properly, so don't just wack a couple of pads on those & then think it's done.

@Manu369, so you didn't follow my instructions...:Banane13: The 660m thermal pad layout is completely different, not 1 or 2 but many components. That also explains the core High temperature...:D

gtx 660m

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11581[/ATTACH]

j95, are your pad thicknesses in your diagram applicable to the 660M R4 heatsink, aren't those pad thicknesses relevant for only the 680M heatsink (you had a 680M)? I know in the R3, that the heatsinks were different between the 560M and the 580M, making comparative pad thicknesses redundant. Or did the R4 only ever have just one type of heatsink?

yes, Also I seen some people modify them laptop, adding little heatsink and change the fan for more CFM, J95 you had change your GPU fan, right ?

i don't know if it's really useful...

China Post takes forever. Try taking pictures of the card with the htsnk on and after the proper padding (at least you've learned how to handle TDRs, not a total waste of time...;))

j95, are your pad thicknesses in your diagram applicable to the 660M R4 heatsink, aren't those pad thicknesses relevant for only the 680M heatsink (you had a 680M)? I know in the R3, that the heatsinks were different between the 560M and the 580M, making comparative pad thicknesses redundant. Or did the R4 only ever have just one type of heatsink?

Last time I checked M17xR4 default configuration was 100W heat sink (P/N 9CNMG) for all nvidia cards , probably due to the mess created with the revised version 580M/R3 (P/N V1K2G). I've tested both htsnks using 0.5mm & 1.0mm thermal pads (with/without retention mod). The 580m had the best results both sizes (black metal part mod), I prefer 0.5mm for fine adjustments and unnecessary pressure applied due to the retention mod. Fujipoly durability (density) and thermal conductivity 11.0 W/mK (17.0 W/mK) makes it the proper option, compared to stock which will degrade sticky/oily pad (greasy stains vRAM bottom card) All cleaned up promptly.

FireStrike 7045 (CPU power issue 80-100 pts lower) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,AlienwareM17xR4

Modded 580m htsnk 83C (stock fan), P/N THPDJ 11.4 CFM even better...