GTX 880m 8go on M17X R4 120Hz 3D screen problem ?

Manu369

Hello, first sorry by advance if my language is not perfect because I'm french.

I search since few days for find the good way for install GTX 880m 8go on Alienware M17X R4 with 120hz 3d screen.

I want change my current graphic card (660m)

My procedure :

I flash my current bios with the latest Bios on the Dell website ( A12)

I uninstall the Nvidia Driver

I open the laptop and replace the graphic card by the 880m

Boot on the laptop, all is ok.

Next, I install the last nvidia driver (337.5 beta) and I modify the inf file.

Driver installation ok and now the current control panel indicated that graphic card is 880m, Nvidia inspector also indicated that it is the 880m installed.

The problem is, when I start a game for example, the performance are not changed (seem be the same fps than my 660m) I don't know why ?

windows performance index indicated 7.2 , my 660m had 7.3 ?!

Do you know what is the problem ?

Thank by advance.

I forget to indicated, I already use an other power supply from dell:

Model Flextronics GA240PE1 263Wh

It is possible that bios limit the power ? I don't seen people who had install 880m in R4 yet and I don't know if I need to unlock the bios, and anyway, I don't find the unlock bios for 880m.

When I launch a game, in nvidia inspector , the frequency of the GPU still very low (147mhz), when I stop the game, frequency up to 954Mhz, it's strange....

this is the result with 3dmark :

post-26058-14494997581409_thumb.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8306463

The 780m seem work good on R4, 880m is the same card, just frequency and ram quantity are changed.

People who use 780m in R4, do you have generic vga device in 3D mark ?

Do you unlocked and changed the bios ?

Are you using a Surge Protector / UPS ?

Try running Diagnostics, F12 -> BIOS Boot Menu -> Diagnostics.

AC Power, set both windows and NV control panel to high performance.

I don't use a surge protector , my current power supply is Model Flextronics GA240PE1 263Wh and there seem be good.

I done the setup diagnostics (F12), all is passed without problem.

My windows and NV control panel are always on high performance.

I guess the problem can come from the bios.

PnP with the 3D model (PEG), M18xR2 My Nvidia GTX 880M Test Run Review

Is the GPU fan working correctly (cleaned) ?

Don't use NV inspector for now, download both Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.8 | techPowerUp and https://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

Open GPU-Z and run Heaven benchmark (windowed mode), monitor temps, clocks, TDP and GPU load.

post-3012-14494997584987_thumb.gif

post-3012-14494997584785_thumb.gif

here : My Nvidia GTX 880M Test Run Review

About johnksss, he told :

Now we are getting somewhere. As usual, stuff is broken out the gate. So now that we have addressed most of the throttling I decide to go ahead and start running some real benchmarks. What I found out was the new drivers break the card! If you crash one to many times your card will always down clock. Why? I have no clue. I had to use 327.23 drivers which ran perfect the whole time. Including gaming. I’ll get into that part much later. It seems that after a few driver not responding errors or driver crash errors your 900.00 dollar card wants to now run like an intel 4k GPU. Even stock will not work correctly anymore. You have to go through a whole lot to correct this situation (Only to crash again and have to go through the whole process again) or just use an earlier driver to bypass this nonsense altogether. Now who thought this would be a great idea, huh? Double Facepalm! This must be at least one of the reasons why there is no official 880M driver yet. This was tested across at least 2 machines (The M15X and the M18XR2) and all drivers in the 331 and higher class. With people who know what they are doing. So there are no speculations here.

I would like try with 327.23 just for test, but I don't find how to change the inf file for this version...

edit: svl7: too fast :) can you tell me how modify the inf file for 327.23 version

thk

- GeForce 327.23-WHQL Driver

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmn.inf (notepad) CTRL+H -> Find What: 119F Replace With: 1198 -> Hit 'Replace All'

- Find What: 05AE Replace With: 057B -> 'Replace All'

- Find What: 780M Replace With: 880M -> 'Replace All' -> save.

- Nvidia 327.23...International folder\ run setup exe.

Hello, I tested today the 327.23, it's works, currently I don't know if this driver use 100% of this card but it's much better.

A new problem is come...

When I want test with benchmark or game with full options, the screen freeze or make black screen after 5 mn. Any idea ?

It is normal to have 93°C in full charge ?

post-26058-14494997586607_thumb.jpg

I think problem can come from the voltage too low or temperature too high.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's getting better...the temperature is high (70-75C). Probably causing these issues, check if the vents, heat sink radiator, GPU fan are clean and elevate the laptop. If temps are still high you will need to re-paste the GPU, thin thermal pads are better at keeping proper contact between GPU die and heat sink.

Thermal Pad Placement (780M) - Fujipoly Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - Sheet - 150 x 100 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 11.0 W/mK

m0d5.png

Ok so I took time to remove and install again the gpu card.

I resolved a little problem, I seen that the thermal paste was not very crushed, I removed the thin plastic black around the headsink, not necessary for the 880m.

Temperature are now much better, but problem is always present :(

I tried differente thing, I lowered the frenquency GPU and memory in nvidiainspector, I disconnected the battery and lower the screen light and desactivate the alien FX light, the problem not seem come from the power supply and the PSU is not hot.

So I also tried to open benchmark and game in a windows and not full screen, it's always the same, after 5mn the driver crash.

I captured picture just before crash and after.

This crash appear only when I stress the Graphic card with benchmark or with a game.

It is possible problem come from the driver ? maybe I must test with other driver for check is the problem is always here.

in most cases, the screen freeze and I must restart the laptop, here I was able to take screen after nvidia driver was reload.

post-26058-14494997588609_thumb.jpg

post-26058-14494997587848_thumb.jpg

I tested the 331.82 version, it not work, same problem than the last driver version, so the 327.23 is currently the lastest version who works for me.

So return in 327.23 and always the same crash.

About crash report :

http://nsp18nhawf.1fichier.com/

post-26058-14494997589297_thumb.jpg

translation :

The description for Event ID 14 in the source nvlddmkm can not be found. The component that raises this event is not installed on the local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\ Device \ Video7

008b (4148) 00000000 00000000

-----------------------

the file nvlddmkm.sys seem be the problem.

0x116 = Video TDR timeout

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Driver corruption (nvlddmkm.sys), RAM not likely since previous card was working fine.

- GeForce 327.23-WHQL Driver

- Safe Mode DDU 'Clean and Shutdown' option (New graphics card) check/include PhysX and 3D TV Play

- Extract driver 7-Zip/winrar

- Nvidia 327.23...International folder\ delete the following folders -> Display.Optimus -> Display.Update -> GFExperience -> GFExperience.NvStreamC -> GFExperience.NVStreamSrv -> MS.NET -> NVVAD

- Display.Driver Copy/overwrite nvdmn.inf

- Nvidia 327.23...International folder\ run setup.exe

If the issue persists, try increasing voltage offset 12.5 mV (stock clocks) -> TDR -> reboot -> 25.0 mV

nvdmn.inf_v327.23_M17xR4_3D_GTX_880M.zip