Do i need HeatSink for gtx 670m?

hernanisilvaa

Hi

Greetings from Portugal.=)

Im a new user in this forum hope someone can help me.

I had a msi gt660r but the motherboard "burned", so since i was going to spent Money in a new one, i bought a ms16f21 version 1.2 motherboard, 2nd generation i7 cpu, and a nvidia 675m gpu from mokkin and i installed everthing last week.

Basicaly its a msi gt683dxr with a 675m, i run msi kombuster and the gpu card temperature went to 96º very fast, so i took out the heatsink and add copper shims to the gpu, its better but after a while like 3 minutes it goes to 96º again and it stays at that temperature...

Like i said above my laptop was a gt660r, so maybe the heatsink is not ideal for the gtx 670m, but have seen images of the gpu heatsink that comes original in the msi gt683dxr and i dont see any difference....

Im also using a 90w power adapter, i dont know if that makes the card warm up faster, im wating for the new one 150w....

Do i need to buy a heatsink for the gtx 670m?

Thank you

just google 675m heatsink followed by your laptop model.. usually around 50-70 bucks.

a new bios may help if your fan speeds are WAY to low, (as in never go above like 50% max rpm even at 96 celcius)

other than that, you might need to do a repaste.

arctic silver 5 I do not suggest uding because it is electrically conductive.

USE IC diamond thermal coundpound 7

ALSO make sure that adequate pressure is being appplied to the heatsink & check if there is obstruction to exhaust air.

slightly offtopic but relevant to your computer:

Also just as a warning, I had the same motherboard in my MSI barebones and the power-supply circuit exploded in flames.. So be extra careful with the DC jack, and dont yank on it, ever! (as in bend/pull on the cord in anyway except straight back/out. This could rapidly accelerate the rate of DC Jack component wear.

Hi

Thank you for your fast anwsers.

So i have a friend that has the msi gt683dxr, so today i tried his heatsink and the temperature is much lower runing msi kombuster e gets 65º, and with my heatsink 90º, no doubt know that i need to buy a heatsink for my gtx 670m

I tried to modify my heatsink but the values are still high in msi kombuster 80º, playing battefield 3 the same 80º.

I will try to find some heatsink cheap.....

Another problem that i have is the brightenss but i will open another thread to see if anyone knows whats going on.

Thank you for your support.