ICC Colour Profile from NBC review

Ixel

In my personal opinion the colour profile I am about to share here has changed my colours radically, what was once a blue tinted grey is now a much more realistic grey for example. Colours stand out slightly better too.

Anyway, a few days ago a new review was posted on Notebookcheck about the M14x, if you have some time and are interested in their opinion then read the review, I have and have to say it's detailed and interesting.

The link to the review itself is Review Alienware M14x Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews.

The link to downloading the ICC colour profile file is http://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/ICC_M14X.icc. Best way to download this is right click and save as, don't directly click on it or it may not correctly download.

To install this profile (for newcomers, Windows 7):

1) Right click on your desktop

2) Left click on Screen Resolution

3) Left click on the 'Advanced Settings' link

4) Left click on the 'Colour Management' tab

5) Left click on the 'Colour Management...' button

6) Check the 'Use my settings for this device' checkbox

7) Left click the 'Add...' button

8) Find the ICC profile you downloaded and choose that

9) Ensure it's the default profile, if not then left click the 'Set as Default Profile' button

10) Left click the 'Advanced' tab

11) Change the 'Device Profile:' to 'System default (Monitor_10.05.2011_1)'

12) Left click the 'Change system defaults...' button

13) Repeat steps 6 through 11 as necessary

14) Finally check the 'Use Windows display calibration'

15) You should notice a difference, hopefully for the better, you can now close the dialog windows

This is done at your own risk, there might be other ways of applying colour profiles that I don't know about, this is the first time I've applied a colour profile before.

Finally, this colour profile does NOT guarantee complete accuracy of your own screen on the M14x, all screens have slight differences and therefore should be calibrated with the Spyder 3 Express device.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Yeah sharing ICC profiles is kinda tricky, those that are lucky will benefit from that, others not that much and as you mentioned, proper color calibration requires Spyder or similar devices...

I have a spyder 3 pro and even from calibration to calibration with the same device I get very different results.