Apple has a year long headstart on the competition with Thunderbolt

Brian

• Founder

So Intel is denying there is any exclusivity with Apple with regards to releasing Lightpeak/Thunderbolt early. They claim that PC manufacturers can release it anytime but personally I think there's more to it than that. Given that the technology was a collaboration between Apple and Intel, I don't think it is too far fetched to assume that because of prior knowledge, Apple was able to push out the technology before anyone else. It may not be an exclusive deal but they definitely got a leg up on the competition because of this IMO.

Here's our recent Thunderbolt article for reference: Intel's lightpeak now shipping as Thunderbolt in newest Macbook Pro. | Tech|Inferno

• 2 years later...

Two years later and the wider industry still has not really embraced Thunderbolt. USB3 was fairly rapidly adopted by many hardware developers and is much more widely availble now. Even Macs have USB3, but only a handful of PC motherboards have Thunderbolt. And few peripherals are equipped with Thunderbolt. At this point I doubt Thunderbolt will ever take off. We'll have universal USB4 before Thunderbolt.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...