EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

1 hour ago, mrdatamx said:

@mimen Although I do not own a DA-2 it seems like you should be safe with a 970. Actually, this card seems to be capped at 200W max. That is the reading I got from the nvidia-smi utility. My 970 seems to run at a constant 149W under full load, I am sure there must be higher power peaks during gaming but the 200W cap suggests you should be safe.

thanks for that, Ill see if i can get a "cheap" one to connect to my alienware m18x so i can start running games full pelt again. Ill go ahead and order a DA-2 from ebay, they are dirt cheap.

Thanks all

Edited by mimen

Hi everyone, i have some problems with the exp gdc v8.0 beast.

i try with two computers and the problem is the same:

HP G62 and Acer S3 951

Don't light any led in the left side of the board.

Graphic is a geforce 750ti

corsair vs450

On 4. 9. 2016 at 0:55 PM, iEp89 said:

Hi everyone, i have some problems with the exp gdc v8.0 beast.

i try with two computers and the problem is the same:

HP G62 and Acer S3 951

Don't light any led in the left side of the board.

Graphic is a geforce 750ti

corsair vs450

Hi,

try to set the PTD switch to 7s.

Was opening up the EXP GDC Beast to do some troubleshooting (trying to figure out HDMI extender for that short short cable).  came across a switch by the pcie slot that has "On/off" and then a pad down by the ctd switch with "off/6s".  Was this supposed to have a switch attached?  Can shorting the 6s to the common terminal do anything?  Any ideas what the "On/Off" switch is for?  It was in the off position when opened up.

https://imgur.com/SQOUjGA

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, JediPartTime said:

QDb0XHW.png&key=342ef66c7effe4867251a975

26 minutes ago, Arbystrider said:

QDb0XHW.png&key=342ef66c7effe4867251a975

I am sorry I didn't understand the solution you quoted. But it seems to be a solution for the Dell Power Supply, which I don't use.
I am using a VS 450 ATX power supply with the usual 20 and 4pins to power mobo and CPU. I just wonder if I use the 24pin to 8pin cable there will be any compatibility or overpower and can potentially fry my dock and GPU.

Edited by JediPartTime

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I need help badly. I have purchased the EXP GDC beast v8, recieved it today and it is a bit different, the mPCIe connector looks a bit smaller that what I have seen and inside the grey box I see the name says it is an beast v8.4d EXP GDC. When I hooked up everything and try to boot, nothing shows up on the external monitor. I am using an NVIDIA 9500gt as a test card before I recieve my gtx 950. What can I do to fix this issue, I don't have $25 dollars to spend on that setup 1.3 software thing. Please help.

System: Dell xps 15 L502x (site said it is compatible with my laptop)

Bios: a12 (stock)

If you guys need any other info, just ask.

Nevermind, I figured it out, check my following post to see.

Edited by Mr_Western

Hi everyone

I have exp gdc v8 and my specs

Dell N5110

i7 2670qm

8gb ram

gt525m@hd3000

egpu@EVGA GTX 760

HM67 chipset

My problem m-pcie slot work only 1.1 speed

I tried force gen2 speeds but card doesn't work. 

1c77ba4ba6c4b1459c85fd7178ae41f8.png

So guys I have gotten my egpu dock and I am currently using an old geforce 9500gt and it is working great thus far. The only problem is that dell has whitelisted the wifi port that has to be used with this dock, but I will explain everything with this post.

So you have received your dock, PSU, GPU and want to hook it up, well follow this guide:
-Start your laptop as normal without hooking up anything or removing anything.

-Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and run it (it would want to run in safe mode, do so); [this would remove any drivers and files of the gtx540m drivers properly, but don't remove anything to do with intel graphics].

-Restart your laptop twice (just a save measure).

-Once you have restarted and in windows, put the laptop to sleep (yes to sleep).

-Whilst the laptop is sleeping, flip it over, undo the cover to reveal the ram and wifi module.

-Remove the wifi module (yes this is how it is done to bypass dell's whitelist).

-Hook up the egpu mpcie cable to the wifi port and screw it down.

-Don't rewake the laptop just yet.

-Hook up the rest of the egpu components; [the GPU to the dock, the mpcie cable to the dock, the power supply to the dock (see manual for this, and REMEMBER, DON'T ATTACH THE 4 PIN CONNECTOR TO THE DOCK POWER CABLE THAT IS TOGETHER WITH THE 20 PIN ATX CABLE, USE ANOTHER 4 PIN CONNECTOR, THIS WILL CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT AND BURN YOUR PSU).

-Once everything is connected awake the laptop, the laptop screen would power on as normal.

-Go to device manager and look under display adapters, you should see some generic microsoft driver with a yellow exclamation mark, right click and update (you would need to have an ethernet cable plugged in).

-Once it finish updates (takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 20) it would prompt to restart, DON'T`!!!

-Put the laptop to sleep and take out the mpcie cable and put back the wifi module, wake the laptop and then restart.

-Once the laptop has restarted, wait a few minutes for it to properly start and then go to device manager

-Under device manager, look under "Network adapters" and disable everything under it (except for "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N"

-After, put the laptop to sleep.

-Once again, replace the wifi module with the mpcie cable and then wake the laptop.

- You would notice nothing happens, this is normal.

-Go to device manager and look under display adapters, you would notice your GPU is there but with a yellow exclamation mark, the error code you would see is error 12, this is normal and a good sign.

-While in the Device manager, click on "view" and "device by connection".

-Expand "Microsoft ACPI x64-based PC" and nested under that would be "Microsoft ACPI-Complient System" expand that as well; nested under this is "PCI Express Root Complex" expand that.

-Look for anything pertaining to the old gt540m and disable it, also look for anything pertaining to bluetooth and disable it, but not wireless-N. [to note, the stuff for the gt 540m would be nested under its own thing, disable that whole tree that nests the gt 540m].

-Once this is done, close device manager, put the laptop to sleep and replace the mcpie cable with the wifi module and restart.

-After restart, wait a few minutes and put it to sleep.

-Replace the wifi module with the mpcie cable and wake the laptop; do not do anything at this point, wait a few seconds and your secondary monitor would start to show a display.

-At this point you have setup your external GPU.

Things to note:
In order to go between your GPU and your wifi module, you must put your laptop to sleep and switch them, (that's why anything pertaining to wireless-N was not disabled). Trying to start the laptop with the GPU already attached would not work, everything would be blank but yet your laptop would seem like it wants to do something. The error 12 code is pertaining to not enough resources for the new PCIe component to be ran.

If you are looking for a simpler means of this external GPU setup, there is a software called Nando Setup 1.3 that simplifies the setup without need to disable anything and for the constant sleep to swap GPU with wifi module, you can also boot with the GPU already attached using the software, but it costs US$25.

If you are using a recent card after 2010 and is nvidia, you can use the laptop screen instead of an external display; however, I would recommend using one during the setup procedure. BUT, using the internal monitor would reduce the performance of the GPU to about 30% less, this is because the mcpie lane is being over saturated.

On a side note I am using modded A11 BIOS for my laptop with PCIe 1 and 2 forced to gen 2.

Guys please help me on my issue,

My specs are,

HP Pavillion HP Pavilion 15-p027tx

nVidia 830M (Currently it is not working)

Intel Core i3

EXP GDC v8.4d

I tired following nVidia GPUs and failed,

GTS 250
Stuck in Windows 10 black screen.

GT 630
Tried playing Watch Dog 1, restarted the Laptop and external display not detected after that. It worked by reinstalling nVidia drivers.

Please help me for this.

IMG_20161007_142831.jpg

my egpu.gif

Edited by Sandaruwan
Adding info

@Sandaruwan

I have made a post above your initial post, read it in full, the issues you have and the solution is posted there.

@ags167

Not something I would use, go with a regular power supply, a 430W PSU should be more than enough; 12V @ 10A may not be best for your card. With a regular PSU, the wiring isn't difficult. Doing a bit of research you have to use a PC PSU since you need 2 6-pin wires for a GTX 760 (as far as I am aware). Going with the power adapter you suggest won't work what so ever, so don't try it.

Edited by Mr_Western

On 14.10.2016 at 10:07 PM, Mr_Western said:

@sulocanx

Is there any major performance issues, is your card not performing as expected at this setting? Also try clicking on the question mark next to the bus interface and start the render test, see if changes.

Yes, performance is bad with this settings, bus interface not change works only x1 1.1 gen1 speed. 

I tried force gen2 on egpu setup 1.30 but card dosen't work. 

Fire strike score: 4730 (graphic score 5344) 

3DMark11 score: P6334 (graphic score 6565)

Tested on external screen.

Evga gtx 760

@sulocanx

hmmm that looks like scores within reason. Maybe you should give me some of your gaming numbers as these synthetic tests don't always show the bigger picture. 

According to 3DMark website, a GTX760 and and i5-3570 gets:

3Dmark11: P9588

and

Firestrike 1.1: 6091

Just remember we are using a mPCIe slot to operate a GPU, so getting what desktop gets won't be possible.

However, if in games it isn't performing as how it should (even taking into account the above) then try disabling some stuff that is on the PCIe bus (create a restore point before attempting this). Maybe some other things is saturating the bus and not giving optimal performance. You can try disabling a few things under the Network adapter or making sure your old GPU is disabled as well (even if the drivers for it is uninstalled).

Crap I was watching the wrong persons image, sulocanx, you are already operating at 2nd gen mode, that's what the 2.0 stands for. the 1.1 is the bus width (you can't do anything about that, its the physical size of the actual slot). Post some of your game scores and settings, maybe it might shed a bit of light for me as to your concerns.

7 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@sulocanx

hmmm that looks like scores within reason. Maybe you should give me some of your gaming numbers as these synthetic tests don't always show the bigger picture. 

According to 3DMark website, a GTX760 and and i5-3570 gets:

3Dmark11: P9588

and

Firestrike 1.1: 6091

Just remember we are using a mPCIe slot to operate a GPU, so getting what desktop gets won't be possible.

However, if in games it isn't performing as how it should (even taking into account the above) then try disabling some stuff that is on the PCIe bus (create a restore point before attempting this). Maybe some other things is saturating the bus and not giving optimal performance. You can try disabling a few things under the Network adapter or making sure your old GPU is disabled as well (even if the drivers for it is uninstalled).

Crap I was watching the wrong persons image, sulocanx, you are already operating at 2nd gen mode, that's what the 2.0 stands for. the 1.1 is the bus width (you can't do anything about that, its the physical size of the actual slot). Post some of your game scores and settings, maybe it might shed a bit of light for me as to your concerns.

Gameplay and benchmarks in my channel 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCntbSySye67WAvsuqhFc8Sw

" try disabling some stuff that is on the PCIe bus"  I will try :)

@sulocanx

I checked the video for outlast 2, that is performing wonderfully. I checked other people's gameplay of outlast 2 on their GTX 760 and they were (strangely enough) on par with your results. When I checked your video for battlefield one, I am seeing your GT 525m present, are you switching between the GT 525 and GTX 760? if that is the case, your PCIe bus must be saturated; however, look at the Bus interface, it is the same as your GTX 760 so there isn't anything you can really do about that. And once again with your witcher 3 gameplay is right around where I'd expect it to be, you were using your internal screen after all.

Some stuff you can try are disabling and removing the drivers for the gt 525m (together with some other stuff that may saturate the bus), using an external monitor and if your monitor support sound output, use the sound on your monitor or the headphone jacks on your monitor, this is because you are again saturating the PCIe bus with audio transfers from GPU to CPU and then to speakers on the laptop (GPU processes the audio with its APU [Audio Processing Unit]).