EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

I based the 285 based on real world load benches GeForce GTX 560 Ti Power Consumption and Thermals | bit-tech.net

The average power draw is not the same as max load spikes (and you don't want a 280W spike on an under-rated PSU).

Sure, your card may spike lower than others, but you still need to be careful. Consider undervolting the card. if you're gonna use a lower-rated PSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

I based the 285 based on real world load benches GeForce GTX 560 Ti Power Consumption and Thermals | bit-tech.net

The average power draw is not the same as max load spikes (and you don't want a 280W spike on an under-rated PSU).

Sure, your card may spike lower than others, but you still need to be careful. Consider undervolting the card. if you're gonna use a lower-rated PSU.

Sorry for asking a lot of questions about power supply. Do you think a Dell DA2 can handle 560Ti? I have seen people running 960 fine (though its new architecture consumes less power I think).

Hello guys, this is mine first post on techinferno so if i made a mistake i`m sorry.

I buyed a EXP GDC BEAST from banggood a week ago, I`ve been trying to make this work for the whole week. That`s the problem: I have a Samsung NP350E5C-A02US, which I believe isn`t whitelisted, I do all the procedure, unnistal wi-fi driver, unistall graphics driver, connect the PCI-e and turn on the computer. And that`s when shit happens. First of all there is a red light on the 6-pin of the eGpu board and there is nothing then a black screen on the computer, i`ve tryed everything, swith the PTD and CTD buttons on the board, put just 4 and 2 GB of ram (normally is 6GB). And when I connect a external monitor it just freezes on the boot logo of "samsung".

Well, thanks for your help.

I`m using an Asus GTX 750ti with a 500w PSU

Hello guys, this is mine first post on techinferno so if i made a mistake i`m sorry.

I buyed a EXP GDC BEAST from banggood a week ago, I`ve been trying to make this work for the whole week. That`s the problem: I have a Samsung NP350E5C-A02US, which I believe isn`t whitelisted, I do all the procedure, unnistal wi-fi driver, unistall graphics driver, connect the PCI-e and turn on the computer. And that`s when shit happens. First of all there is a red light on the 6-pin of the eGpu board and there is nothing then a black screen on the computer, i`ve tryed everything, swith the PTD and CTD buttons on the board, put just 4 and 2 GB of ram (normally is 6GB). And when I connect a external monitor it just freezes on the boot logo of "samsung".

Well, thanks for your help.

I`m using an Asus GTX 750ti with a 500w PSU

Alright. First things first: the CTD should be in default position (to the left) and PTD in 7s position in order for the eGPU to NOT be detected at BIOS POST, only after. Done like this, your machine should be able to boot, If your machine can't boot with the adapter attached, something's definitely off.

What kind of PSU are you using?

When you connect the external monitor, where do you get the samsung logo displayed? On the internal or the external one?

Do you have control over your PCIe speed? Setting Gen1 to confirm it is or isn't a signaling issue?

the supplied dell da2 brick is not enough for the modern heavy power consumption cards, as stated by bplus. it's a shame that GDC Beast is not portable at all with all those extra devices.

The DA-2 is enough for a GTX 970. It provides enough graphics power for most today's games. Everything above though and everything that has roughly the same performance made by AMD is either not working because power consumption is too high or it's way too expensive(R9 Nano), so you're pretty limited in choice if you want graphics power and a smaller PSU.

Everything is working kind of fine for me. Dell N4050, 2nd gen i3, Sandy bridge, 560Ti. First it was not working for me because I have been connecting the wrong 4 pin to the EXP GDC. I was the connecting the 4 pin in the (20+4) pin. When I realized I'm an idiot and connected the other 4 pin it booted fine and started working. But, still the PSU is a cheap 450 watts with 20A on 12V, which means it should provide 240 watt on 12v. But, PC is shutting off the instant I load furmark, which means card is consuming much more than 240 watts at peak. Thanks for the help everyone and I should try to get a proper PSU with 30amps+ on 12V, not DA2 or any cheap one.

- - - Updated - - -

Atleast I can play low intensive games smooth without PC shutting off.

Alright. First things first: the CTD should be in default position (to the left) and PTD in 7s position in order for the eGPU to NOT be detected at BIOS POST, only after. Done like this, your machine should be able to boot, If your machine can't boot with the adapter attached, something's definitely off.

What kind of PSU are you using?

When you connect the external monitor, where do you get the samsung logo displayed? On the internal or the external one?

Do you have control over your PCIe speed? Setting Gen1 to confirm it is or isn't a signaling issue?

Thank you for the awnser!

The PTD didn`t work. The "samsung" logo appears on the external monitor.

This is mine PSU: (sorry for the bad image)

post-39337-14495000828507_thumb.jpg

How can I know if I have control over mine PCIe speed? And what is Gen1, how can I run it?

Thank you much.

Sorry, I'd had a bit of a confusion between you and Co11ider. Your PSU should be enough to run 4 750ti's, lol.

The fact that your machine does boot off the GPU (showinng the samsung logo on external monitor) gives us a few clues to work with.

I'm partial to considering this as either a whitelist or a signaling issue. If it were the TOLUD you'd be able to boot and only then have problems. That's not to say you won't require DSDT patching.

Go inside your BIOS and look for any ExpressCard or PCI Express speed selection options (I'm heavily doubting you have any, to be honest). If you don't have the options, and if using EFI variables isn't an option either, than the only way to force Gen1 signal would be to purchase @Tech Inferno Fan's Setup 1.30 to setup your ports to Gen1 speed.

Please do the following: Boot your machine as normal (without EXP GDC). Once in Windows, enter Sleep. While the machine is asleep, plug-in the EXP GDC and then resume from sleep. Do this with PTD set to 7s. Do this WITHOUT the external monitor connected. In the best-case scenario, windows would detect the EXP GDC and (hopefully) not try to give it a Gen2 signal. It's very likely that if it does give it a Gen2 signal, your Windows will BSOD (if it is indeed a signaling issue).

Assuming you don't get BSOD, use GPU-Z to monitor the GPU sensors and determine PCIe speed. Then you'd have the daunting task of patching your DSDT to extend the PCIe Root Bridge into a 36-bit address :D (I don't envy the work you have ahead)

It could also be that you can only hot-plug your adapter, as I've heard nVidia users being forced to do this before, I think.

Sorry, I'd had a bit of a confusion between you and Co11ider. Your PSU should be enough to run 4 750ti's, lol.

The fact that your machine does boot off the GPU (showinng the samsung logo on external monitor) gives us a few clues to work with.

I'm partial to considering this as either a whitelist or a signaling issue. If it were the TOLUD you'd be able to boot and only then have problems. That's not to say you won't require DSDT patching.

Go inside your BIOS and look for any ExpressCard or PCI Express speed selection options (I'm heavily doubting you have any, to be honest). If you don't have the options, and if using EFI variables isn't an option either, than the only way to force Gen1 signal would be to purchase @Tech Inferno Fan's Setup 1.30 to setup your ports to Gen1 speed.

Please do the following: Boot your machine as normal (without EXP GDC). Once in Windows, enter Sleep. While the machine is asleep, plug-in the EXP GDC and then resume from sleep. Do this with PTD set to 7s. Do this WITHOUT the external monitor connected. In the best-case scenario, windows would detect the EXP GDC and (hopefully) not try to give it a Gen2 signal. It's very likely that if it does give it a Gen2 signal, your Windows will BSOD (if it is indeed a signaling issue).

Assuming you don't get BSOD, use GPU-Z to monitor the GPU sensors and determine PCIe speed. Then you'd have the daunting task of patching your DSDT to extend the PCIe Root Bridge into a 36-bit address :D (I don't envy the work you have ahead)

It could also be that you can only hot-plug your adapter, as I've heard nVidia users being forced to do this before, I think.

In the BIOS i don`t have, as expected, anything about ExpressCard or PCI Express, and i don`t know how to use the EFI variables (if it is to boot in the UEFI mode i didn`t work either).

I did what you asked, I entered Sleep, connect the cable and then when I turned on the coolers of the graphic cards started spinnig for 1 sec than stoped and the laptop shutdown. He turned himself on again, now the coolers spinned a bit more before the laptop shutdown again. Finally he turned on with the same problem of the black screen.

When I hot-plug the adapter the screen goes white and the laptop shutdown.

:(

I'm running on Windows 10 and about mine graphic card extra supply power (6-pin), i`m using the adapter that came with the EXP GDC, not the 6-pin that have with the PSU, well i`ve tried both but the result was the same.

Apparently the Samsung NP350 is listed as a candidate in the old NBR version of the DIY eGPU Candidate system list (Samsung Series 3). So somebody did it at some point.

Maybe using Setup 1.30 you could troubleshoot, but I hesitate to recommend that without being able to say for sure whether or not that will make it work.

You could ask Tech Inferno Fan if he's willing to do refunds in case the software isn't of use to you.

Good Day,

Unfortanly the EXP GDC Beast not working properly. I did everything like in the Tutorial and Still not Working I search the whole google and I couldn't solve the Problem.

I put some pictures to show you what i did and where the problem is.

EXP GDC - Album on Imgur

my Laptop: Acer Aspire V3-772G. Some people have the same laptop as mine and it worked.I did everything like in the tutorial and at the Boot i get a Black Screen just black and it stay like that.

I even Disabled AND Uninstalled my graphic card from the Device-Manager in the Laptop (I have two, One [intel ..] and another one [From Nvidia..]) and deleted everything from Nvidia and still the same.

The new Graphic Card that i bought is MSI Geforce Gtx 970.

It turn on and everything work fine even the red lamp at the EXP is on but I still getting the Black screen.

I hope you can help me, because I don't know what to do more.

I have more pictures but I couldn't send all of them at once.

Thanks

Psu is rated to deliver around 160w per 12v rail. That's not enough. Find a connector to use both rails to plug into the exp gdc power cable.

You might also need a DSDT override, since i doubt you have enough pci address space to run the card.

Set PTD switch to 7s.

Also, try hotplugging. Get to windows without exp gdc, sleep computer, plug in, resume from sleep.

Does your bios allow you to disable the integrated nvidia gpu? If not, you might need @Tech Inferno Fan's setup 1.30 program.

Sent from my Neken N6 using Tapatalk

Psu is rated to deliver around 160w per 12v rail. That's not enough. Find a connector to use both rails to plug into the exp gdc power cable.

You might also need a DSDT override, since i doubt you have enough pci address space to run the card.

Set PTD switch to 7s.

Also, try hotplugging. Get to windows without exp gdc, sleep computer, plug in, resume from sleep.

Does your bios allow you to disable the integrated nvidia gpu? If not, you might need @Tech Inferno Fan's setup 1.30 program.

First of all thank you very much for the fast answer, finally some help.

please step for step. So u mean i must change the ATX i must change the Power Supply with something bigger ( can you tell me with what or how much watt should i buy ?) what do you mean by find a connector to use both rails?

Well i connected from the EXP GDC 6 Pin to the Graphic Card 2x- 6 pin everything in plugged in. is that what you mean ?

I want to do DSDT http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html already checked that. but he do everything after he installed the new graphic. iam not even coming to windows at the boot i have black screen. Or i can already DSDT without the exp gdc ?

i already switched the PTD to 7 and still same problem. but as you mentiod before when the PSU is not compatible then i must get new one and then try one more time to change the PTD to 7s.

No my Bios dont aloow that i searched for every option in there but coudnt find anything. so i just uninstall everything form Nvidia and disabled the graphic card. but i dont know if that good enough.

another question, i have an ssd and win 7 and i removed my cmos-battery so i dont need to flash bios every time something goes wrong so i just unplug the power and thats it. and everytime i do that i must change from Ufea to Legacy. do that have anything to do with the black screen ?

thanks for the help i appreciate it really

Unfortunately i'm writing from phone so it's hard to be too detailed.

Your PSU should have two sets of 12V cables. You need to purchase a cable that unites those two rails into one and plug that into the exp gdc power cable, instead of using just one of the PSU cables.

You can and should do the dsdt override before you set up the egpu adapter.

I think win7 might not allow hotplugging and the use of more than one video card. I suggest you make a temporary win 8.1 install on a secondary media just to test egpu on it.

Uefi/legacy should not influence the black screen as far as i know.

Unfortunately i'm writing from phone so it's hard to be too detailed.

Your PSU should have two sets of 12V cables. You need to purchase a cable that unites those two rails into one and plug that into the exp gdc power cable, instead of using just one of the PSU cables.

You can and should do the dsdt override before you set up the egpu adapter.

I think win7 might not allow hotplugging and the use of more than one video card. I suggest you make a temporary win 8.1 install on a secondary media just to test egpu on it.

i installed the 8.1 and i have the same problem at the boot its the black screen one more time. and with the fast plug and play at the sleep mode its not working either. i get some error wit failed to boot device

Uefi/legacy should not influence the black screen as far as i know.

Thanks one more time for the help and i hope we gonna solve the problem. i know we can do it :P .

Si i buyed new PSU (700W) everything work on it. i gave the gtx 970 direct electrixty from PSU ( anot not from EXP GDC). Like that Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

and it work everything like before i still get the black screen. i moved the PTD to 7s and then i get a new error : small blue window " Failed to boot device ... " i will take a picture of it. and btw when i remove the mini-pci everything working like before.

i will try to install windows 8.1 and see what happens.

do you have a link for the dsdt that i should do, iam not sure iam at the right one.

Thanks one more time for the help

Good day. In General, here's the deal, I bought EXP GDC adapter. Everything is connected, put the graphics card gtx560ti cards, and the Manager gives error43. If you disable the integrated(intelhd 4000) then the error disappears .If you go to the nvidia control panel, shows "used display not connected to Nvidia GP". In addition there isa built-in discrete (gt610m). In the BIOS thereis no any Primary Display...or are they just hidden?By the way the laptop model k55vd. I don't know how to run a map, write what you need at Optimus need to run, but as the same panel doesn't open. Sorry bad know English. I translated on the translate.yandex. Thanks.