EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Looks like you can still save a few dollars with 6e6e0b on banggood

For those of us in the States, the PE4C is available on Amazon (with prime!) for $60 Amazon.com: Bplus: PE4C interface for ExpressCard, PCIe x16 adapter: Computers & Accessories

You may want to hold off on the PE4C until after Chinese New Year so BPlus has a chance to address the signalling issue

If anyone is interested I'm selling my EXP GDC Beast (mini pci-e version) with the 220W DA-2 powerbrick with all the default cables that come with it. I only used it a couple of times. If you were curious to why I'm selling it, it is because I'm actually building a computer now. As of my posting I'm starting the bid at $40, with 15 dollar shipping (shipping from the U.S)

Exp GDC Beast Laptop External Video Card Dock 220 Watt Dell Power Supply | eBay

Thanks for looking, and I wish you guys good luck with your EGPU!

Hello!!! I'm selling my EXP GDC Beast laptop EGPU adapter and the DA-220 watt dell power supply. If you happen to be interested here is a link to it, I'm selling it on ebay.

This is the mini pci-e adapter, not the express card adapter.

Exp GDC Beast Laptop External Video Card Dock Da 2 220 Watt Dell Power Supply | eBay

Reasons why you should buy it from me?

1. I'm selling from the US, so shipping will be a lot faster.

2. It already comes with the power supply.

3. Because you're awesome :D

If you were curious to why I am selling it, it is because I had some great luck and now have access to a PC that can now utilize my gpu :Banane46:

Hello, guys. I have a big problem with my exp gdc beast with mPCI-e and laptop hp d059sr. Laptop doesn't detect a gpu in windows and diy egpu setup 1.30. Gpu is nvidia geforce gtx 550ti. Please, help me!

Boot with wifi card to Setup 1.30. Ensure it's listed in the Details window. Then carefully hotplug the mPCIe end of the EXP GDC Beast in it's place. Hit F5 to rescan the PCIe bus. It should get detected.

HP are reknown for whitelisting their wifi slots such that they are disabled unless a whitelist compatible card is in the wifi slot.

Boot with wifi card to Setup 1.30. Ensure it's listed in the Details window. Then carefully hotplug the mPCIe end of the EXP GDC Beast in it's place. Hit F5 to rescan the PCIe bus. It should get detected.

HP are reknown for whitelisting their wifi slots such that they are disabled unless a whitelist compatible card is in the wifi slot.

still does not detect :(

What is the difference between the 8 pin in this pic

post-32035-14494999388023_thumb.jpg

and the 8 pin that came with the EXP GDC Ares V7.0 ????

post-32035-14494999388498_thumb.jpg

Can I connect the 8 pin that came with the Ares in this slot of GTX 970 ? or it should be squared like the first picture ?

post-32035-14494999388817_thumb.jpg

HELP PLEASE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!!

What is the difference between the 8 pin in this pic

and the 8 pin that came with the EXP GDC Ares V7.0 ????

Can I connect the 8 pin that came with the Ares in this slot of GTX 970 ? or it should be squared like the first picture ?

HELP PLEASE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!!

The extra pcie cable is to give a graphics card extra power if the pcie slot alone is not enough. The 8 pin on the EXP GDC is for input from Dell DA-2 (or ATX PSU w/ converter cables because it has reverse polarity to ATX 8 pin pcie, as mentioned in first post). The 6 pin on the EXP GDC is output to graphics card using the included cable. So you should be safe plugging that cable into the EXP GDC and GTX 970 for extra power. The 6 pin pcie with a lot more wires coming out of it is the side that goes into the EXP GDC.

Hello everyone! First of all thank you for the wonderful information shared here. I decided to buy my EXP GDC after reading the whole thread. Even so, while tinkering with the cables for first setup, my ATX adapter cable broke (that is, one of the wires separated from the connector but it can still be attached if I knew where it goes :D). That's the second funny thing, I have been checking all the attached images and in your kits, the ATX cable always has two wires going to the 20 pin ATX connector. Mine only has one.

I don't know where the single wire goes in the 20-pin connector! This is after the fact.

post-33167-1449499942472_thumb.jpg

Also, is this cable required at all or the 3 PCIe cables would be enough if the PSU is delivering enough power? Thanks in advance!

That's the second funny thing, I have been checking all the attached images and in your kits, the ATX cable always has two wires going to the 20 pin ATX connector. Mine only has one.

I don't know where the single wire goes in the 20-pin connector! This is after the fact.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14006[/ATTACH]

Also, is this cable required at all or the 3 PCIe cables would be enough if the PSU is delivering enough power? Thanks in advance!

The ATX plug sends a GND signal to the PS_ON# wire to turn on the PSU like described at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8441-%5Bguide%5D-switching-atx-psu-using-paperclip-trick-swex.html . One wire should be sufficient to get the job done since the GND signal is sent from the EXP GDC adapter after detecting a 3.3V input from the mPCIe/EC slot.

Yes. Recommend PE4L 2.1b for best possible signal integrity since it uses a soldered cable.

Thanks for the answer, do you know if a similar problem exists with AMD cards too?

At the moment I own a Radeon 6870 and it would fit my needs, altough I have read on Banggood that AMD cards can't output to laptop screen.

Hello guys. im new. and wanted to know before i buy this EXP GDC BEAST, I have an ASUS G74SX i want to know any of you have experience succesfull installing or running this thing will it work? if so what are the recommnded gpu.

Hello guys. im new. and wanted to know before i buy this EXP GDC BEAST, I have an ASUS G74SX i want to know any of you have experience succesfull installing or running this thing will it work? if so what are the recommnded gpu.

I recommended gtx 960 for high-ultra on 1080P

This guide don't work, please help!

Hi!

First of all, excuse my English - it's not perfect.

Got my exp gdc with express card interface. I'm trying to use it with x220 (RAM 8Gb, msata 128Gb + HDD 320Gb, core i5, Win7) and GTX 560Ti. ATX PSU 500W. On Win7 booting with egpu it's freezes every second - windows logo stops for a second. The same behavior on sleep/plug egpu/wake - system stops every second for a while. Nvidia 9600GT works perfect with exp gdc. Both of GPUs are tested on desktop. Tried with another PSU, tried to remove msata - the same thing. Even when I boot Windows install from USB stick - there are same freezes.

Any ideas?

Thank you a lot for valuable information provided here.

Hello, im new to this forum. i would like to know if the EXP GDC BEAST will work with my acer aspire v5 ultrabook. my specs are as follows

[h=3]Motherboard: CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core i7-4500U,

Motherboard Name Acer Aspire V5-573P

Motherboard Chipset Intel Lynx Point-LP,

Intel Haswell System Memory 6028 MB (DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM) )

Display: HD4400

thank you in advance and what gpu can i buy for this setup ?[/h]

Hi, I found this forum as I was trying to find a way to make this work. I found the EXP GDC on youtube and thought it'd be great since I can't afford a whole computer right now.

I'm running off a Pavillion dm4 1063cl and using a r9 270x with Dell 2-A 200W . I've replaced the wifi card in the miniPCIE slot with the eGPU and my computer boots up, the EGPU lights up the blue LED, the fans on the video card runs, but I don't see it on my device manager and nothings happens.

Any thoughts or inputs from current users? Should I be getting setup 1.30 from Nando? (No offense to him since he seems so helpful as I've looked through this thread, but I don't want to make another purchase and find out it still doesn't work).