EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

My motherboard says 10Gb/s

Motherboards - Z97I-PLUS - ASUS

If you translate the EXP GDC V7.0 NGFF original taobao page you get:

支持PCI-E X16 ,实际运行X1模式下(根据笔记本配置不同可以升级至X2模式)

--

Support PCI-E X16, under actual operating X1 mode (according to different notebook configurations can be upgraded to X2 mode)

x2 2.0 can be quoted as 10GBps or 8Gbps depending on whether they count transmission overhead or not.

This does suggest then that EXP GDC V7.0 has x2 2.0 capability.

I also got a message back from banggood as shown below. Some of you might have seen they had a brief listing of EXP GDC V6 + 220W AC adapter for US$77. Seems that was a mistake:

Thanks for rectifying our mistakes,we appreciate it very much. Our package contents has changed, as what you’ve told us.

And for the DELL power adapter, we decided stop offer, with more cost and weight it caused, the price of this version might be above $90. The original $77 is a mistake, sorry about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

If anyone is wondering - @entzoe was a very reliable buyer; honest and easily reachable. Our transactions went very smoothly and I would definitely recommend purchasing from him as opposed to the external sites for two reasons: 1) save on shipping costs, 2) item itself it marked down. Therefore, you'll be able use the EXP GDC for much less than purchasing from China (or wherever they actually come from).

@angerthosenear - will M.2 provide much performance gain over Thunderbolt 2.0 implementations? From my understanding, the port is a x4 PCIe with a 6 Gbit/s bandwidth - but I'm not sure about the bandwidth as that might only be referring to the SATA... I'm guessing that one could use the M.2 to plug directly into the motherboard, which would be pretty sweet. (I don't know enough about this tech) What does the M.2 really mean for eGPUs though???

Thanks for your trade feedback, I'm sure it will help other members!

The 6Gb/s bandwidth refers to the M.2 SATA port.

M.2 has exposed PCIe 3.0 x4. If your laptop has two of these, you more than likely can SLI / CrossFireX with no fiddling unlike my previous attempt. x4 is the minimum link required in the software for both sides. I don't know of laptops with dual M.2 PCie based connectors.

Thanks for your trade feedback, I'm sure it will help other members!

The 6Gb/s bandwidth refers to the M.2 SATA port.

M.2 has exposed PCIe 3.0 x4. If your laptop has two of these, you more than likely can SLI / CrossFireX with no fiddling unlike my previous attempt. x4 is the minimum link required in the software for both sides. I don't know of laptops with dual M.2 PCie based connectors.

My previous laptop had two M.2 connectors (one for Wifi and I used the other for an SSD) Lenovo T540p great LCD however horrible oversized sensitive touchpad which prevents you from typing without moving your cursor (and Im an average sized person) with smaller hands.

Also has an expresscard slot which allows you to connect egpu via expresscard and Nando4s diy gpu 1.30

My previous laptop had two M.2 connectors (one for Wifi and I used the other for an SSD) Lenovo T540p great LCD however horrible oversized sensitive touchpad which prevents you from typing without moving your cursor (and Im an average sized person) with smaller hands.

Also has an expresscard slot which allows you to connect egpu via expresscard and Nando4s diy gpu 1.30

Can you confirm the SSD slot was PCIe based M.2? Sometimes they do not hook up the M.2 port to use PCIe, and be SATA only. If it has two M.2 slots + some SATA / mSATA port, this would be very awesome to test for a new SLI/CfX implementation.

So, do I understand it correctly that EXP GDC V7.0 (hooked via M.2) should be able to provide better bandwidth than Express Card EXP GDC V6? If that's true, is there any reason why future versions of EXP GDC shouldn't be able to utilize full PCIe3 x4 of M.2 PCIe bandwidth instead of mere PCIe2 x2?

//BTW: Anyone knows whether the Lenovo L440's SSD M.2 is connected to PCIe(3) or is SATA only (I suppose the WLAN one has to be but couldn't find any info about the other one)?

If you translate the EXP GDC V7.0 NGFF original taobao page you get:

x2 2.0 can be quoted as 10GBps or 8Gbps depending on whether they count transmission overhead or not.

This does suggest then that EXP GDC V7.0 has x2 2.0 capability.

I also got a message back from banggood as shown below. Some of you might have seen they had a brief listing of EXP GDC V6 + 220W AC adapter for US$77. Seems that was a mistake:

Haha nooo!

At least some of us here had a good run with it hope? =)

EDIT:

For fun, Imagine this DIY stuff as a company, headlines would be something like this:

Breaking News

Nando4, one of the founders of the eGPU, is a suspect of sabotaging a good deal for the community.

A colleague who want to stay anonymous, says: "He just couldn't keep his mouth shut!"

This is the last seen of nando this morning:

riding-kangaroo-sydney.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Haha nooo!

At least some of us here had a good run with it hope? =)

EDIT:

For fun, Imagine this DIY stuff as a company, headlines would be something like this:

Breaking News

Nando4, one of the founders of the eGPU, is a suspect of sabotaging a good deal for the community.

A colleague who want to stay anonymous, says: "He just couldn't keep his mouth shut!"

This is the last seen of nando this morning:

riding-kangaroo-sydney.jpg

Whoah is this Satire or what?

alright guys while I am still awaiting for my laptop sent for warranty service, I got bored and tried my setup if it will work;

Power cables are a bit short for my GPU, is my cable routing safe?

Then I connected the power source, turned on the switch and voila! GPU Fans did not turn on!

Will the fans spin only if it is connected via mPCIE and laptop turned on or is my 7950 needing more power? Or the Dell DA-2 is not working good? Its red light is lighted though when switch is turned on...

Please help.

20140905_210001_zpsyzo1kx62.jpg

20140905_205940_zpsam0v26ah.jpg

20140905_205943_zpsnbpqppjo.jpg

The EXP GDC detects when you plug in the express card or switch on the notebook. Only then the GPU starts running, which is really useful because you never need to switch it on or off manually.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

The EXP GDC detects when you plug in the express card or switch on the notebook. Only then the GPU starts running, which is really useful because you never need to switch it on or off manually.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Oh alrighty then!

Thanks for clarifying! I was in doubt maybe my EXP GDC is faulty, the Dell power brick, or the GPU that I just bought from eBay from a rude seller that does not even reply to a single mail.

Arrgh can't wait for my laptop really, and can you comment on that PCIE power cable on my setup mate? I think its too short that It can touch the cooler or the PCB at the backside, is that safe enough? for long big cards such as mine, stability is one issue to be considered to, probably an Enclosure could be a perfect complement to that and longer PCIE power cables like the PE4C V2.0 sleeved cable version..

The order for the chassis I made on yoybuy.com apparently got refunded a day after I ordered without any further notice. It said it was refunded because the item was out of stock. Has anyone else ordered one already? I just made a new order since I figured I might've been too fast with ordering :P

I submitted a ticket at yoybuy.com since the chassis appears in stock yet my orders get refunded with the reason 'out of stock'.

Dear customer,It is my pleasure to help you.

EXP GDC

We have asked the seller about this item, the seller said this item will in stock after 1 month.

Hope this will help you.

If you have any other question.

Please contact us.

We will try our best to help you.

Best regards

Liza

So it's still going to take a month to stock :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to clarify something, if I want to use an ATX PSU with the EXP GDC v6/v7, do I need to buy the 'ATX power cable' and the '6-pin PCI-e power cable'?

If so, is it possible to buy both cables off yoybuy?

Thanks

Yes it is possible, just start a chat with your dealer and specify that you need this item, the actual item, it comes at an extra value of 5-10 bucks and tell them to ship it together, that's what I did;

ATX TO EXP EXP GDC power supply turn GDC desktop power supply wiring Item

T1eclJFEljXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Yes it is possible, just start a chat with your dealer and specify that you need this item, the actual item, it comes at an extra value of 5-10 bucks and tell them to ship it together, that's what I did;

ATX TO EXP EXP GDC power supply turn GDC desktop power supply wiring Item

So I don't need the "6-pin PCI-e power cable"?

I submitted a ticket at yoybuy.com since the chassis appears in stock yet my orders get refunded with the reason 'out of stock'.

So it's still going to take a month to stock :/

Maybe it was not in stock yet and you were the first to order, don't worry it will be there soon!

- - - Updated - - -

@Tech Inferno Fan

I noticed in the yoybuy website there are new products is this the V7 EXP GDC nicknamed ARES?

TB1JGqSGXXXXXb8XVXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

and MXM cards can be used via EXPRESSCARD, THUNDERBOLT, and mPCIE slots too?!

TB1zGBKGXXXXXcvXVXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

here some more images on the item above;

TB2GNynapXXXXaNXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.jpg

TB2MzqhapXXXXcyXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.jpg

TB2CHinapXXXXX4XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!20602407.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

But I think MXM form factor GPUs are too much costly versus a desktop GPU..

But that thunderbolt option is new and nice though

Maybe it was not in stock yet and you were the first to order, don't worry it will be there soon!

- - - Updated - - -

@Tech Inferno Fan

I noticed in the yoybuy website there are new products is this the V7 EXP GDC nicknamed ARES?

and MXM cards can be used via EXPRESSCARD, THUNDERBOLT, and mPCIE slots too?!

- - - Updated - - -

But I think MXM form factor GPUs are too much costly versus a desktop GPU..

But that thunderbolt option is new and nice though

Well as the woman who helped me stated, it simply wasn't actually in stock yet. But I didn't really get an option to just wait for it to restock either. I immediately got refunded.

The EXP GDC v7 you posted was recently added to the first post already :P

Well as the woman who helped me stated, it simply wasn't actually in stock yet. But I didn't really get an option to just wait for it to restock either. I immediately got refunded.

The EXP GDC v7 you posted was recently added to the first post already :P

Whoah alright then! Did not notice sorry! But still MXM cards vs Desktop GPUs is such an interesting debate I guess

The CS Reps over at Yoybuy are doing a great job then! Heck they even refunded me like 10 or 5 bucks to my account.

Just to clarify something, if I want to use an ATX PSU with the EXP GDC v6/v7, do I need to buy the 'ATX power cable' and the '6-pin PCI-e power cable'?

If so, is it possible to buy both cables off yoybuy?

Thanks

On yoybuy it links to either the "no power" (ATX) or 220W power kit as sold on taobao (China). The no power kit comes with the ATX lead. The 220W kit comes with the 6P+6/8P pcie lead used to draw power from the 220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter via the EXP GDC board.

By contrast, the "no power" kit on banggood also includes the 6P+6/8P pcie lead. Useful in case you want to source the Dell DA-2 AC adapter locally, which it seems the seller Cloud is promoting.. Good deal there at US$50/US$53 for the mPCIe/expresscard version: http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Lapt...-p-934367.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoah alright then! Did not notice sorry! But still MXM cards vs Desktop GPUs is such an interesting debate I guess

The CS Reps over at Yoybuy are doing a great job then! Heck they even refunded me like 10 or 5 bucks to my account.

I don't really see the appeal of MXM cards, they're less powerful and more expensive? The only thing MXM has got going for it is mobility. The chassis is really compact (13.5 x 15 x 3.2 cm) but how is it powered? It probably needs some laptop adapter so it's still going to be a bulky pack.

- - - Updated - - -

@Tech Inferno Fan

V6 is better than V7 for x1 mPCIe/EC users

For mPCIe/EC standalone adapter users, I see EXP GDC V7 is a step backwards. Input power in the V6 product was on the more convenient right near the video card's pcie power inputs. In the V7 product it's on the left. Also V7 has lost the USB port that was on V6.

Why is this? I see mention of MXM/Thunderbolt/NGFF/x2 in some of the advertising. What he's probably done is (1) have a generic x2 or x4 adapter board that can be used across multiple interfaces (mPCIe/EC/MXM/NGFF/etc). In order to accomodate the increase from x1 to x2 or x4 lane width, he has had to clear a pathway to the lanes on the PCIe slot on the right side. That requiring the power connectors to be moved over to the left.

Since EC/mPCIe users are using only a x1 link, that limit doesn't apply to them and so may prefer the (imho) better laid out EXP GDC V6 product.That's if using it in a standalone configuration.

If intending to use one of his enclosures then it would be best to get the latest V7 adapter to ensure the cable cutouts align, which will presumably be matched to the V7 board.

On yoybuy it links to either the "no power" (ATX) or 220W power kit as sold on taobao (China). The no power kit comes with the ATX lead. The 220W kit comes with the 6P+6/8P pcie lead used to draw power from the 220W DellDA-2 AC adapter via the EXP GDC board.

By contrast, the "no power" kit on banggood also includes the 6P+6/8P pcie lead. Useful in case you want to source the DellDA-2 AC adapter locally, which it seems the seller Cloud is promoting.. Good deal there at US$50/US$53 for the mPCIe/expresscard version: http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Lapt...-p-934367.html

So I don't need the 6P+6/8P pcie lead if I'm using a ATX PSU? and where's the "no power" EXP GDC on yoybuy (I can't find it searching yoybuy)?