EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

I figured that when a big and long card is used with the EXP GDC V6, It needs to be really that strong and stable.

I tried my setup last night and realized this.

I will post images of my setup soon!

Hence you need an enclosure with an EXP GDC setup

Ah jeez! I could have ordered this along too, oh well now its 299 (quantity) your the first one to order it!

Please post some images of the enclosure once it arrives to you alright buddy?

I'll definitely put some pictures up once I get it. I also got a notification of Banggood that the EXP GDC was back in stock so they will send that out to me soon. Hopefully I'll be able to install the egpu in the enclosure as soon as I get it :)

Just a really quick question, I am about to press fire on ordering the exp gdc (express card version). But before I do I am just wondering about graphics card compatibility; what I was wanting to use with the exp gdc was a gtx760 would this be possible?

Buddy the keyword for GPU choice would be the TDP rating, dell da-2 is at 220 watts so you would want a card with TDP rating less than or equal to 220 watts. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Buddy the keyword for GPU choice would be the TDP rating, dell da-2 is at 220 watts so you would want a card with TDP rating less than or equal to 220 watts. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ahh ok thats brilliant thank you very much. Is that all I need to mindful of then? Or does bandwidth come into play as well?

Thanks again.

Ahh ok thats brilliant thank you very much. Is that all I need to mindful of then? Or does bandwidth come into play as well?

Thanks again.

You're welcome, bandwidth it really does not matter since it is basically bottlenecked by connections PCI-E 1.0 and 2.0 (don't know bout pcie 3.0)

Unless you will do a setup via Thunderbolt 2.

For me I am using a Radeon 7950, ironically I did not yet tested it, it is a R9 280 to be exact and is rated at 250 Watts and bandwidth speed of 3XX-bit something.

Hey guys im new!

However I have used this device with a T540p and Nando4's eGPU program to disable my GT730m and ran fine with an external GTX780

I switched over to a Late2013 15" rmbp with GT750m and im curious if this will work with a Sonnet Expresscard to Thunderbolt.

I have installed Win7 64bit Pro in BootCamp and ran eGPU but it doesnt recognize a Quaddro NVS295 (used for testing since I sold the GTX780)

Would anyone know if getting the Sonnet III be better (I know for $900+ is expensive but ive invested too much $ already)

I have access to Win8 and Win7 64bit Pro.

I just want to use a GTX780 on my Macbook so I can easily detach and take it to work and come home to game without having to invest in a dedicated desktop rig.

About this chasis available from yoybuy - does it fit the EXP GDC v6? I am asking, because I just think that the hole on the bottom of the chasis looks like it's to small?? Or is it just my imagination? :D

I also have a question about HDMI cable. Do you think that I could extend it in any way? For example with such a cable:

http://instal-konsorcjum.platforma.ab.pl/files/photos/41/207541/137064/original.jpg

How would something like this work?

About this chasis available from yoybuy - does it fit the EXP GDC v6? I am asking, because I just think that the hole on the bottom of the chasis looks like it's to small?? Or is it just my imagination? :D

I also have a question about HDMI cable. Do you think that I could extend it in any way? For example with such a cable:

http://instal-konsorcjum.platforma.ab.pl/files/photos/41/207541/137064/original.jpg

How would something like this work?

The chassis was newly added to taobao.com so I think it's most likely made for the most recent version of the EXP GDC (the v6 version). I'll be able to confirm compatibility with the EXP GDC v6 once I receive the EXP GDC and the chassis.

Also, the hole in the side is just meant for the cables to go in to the chassis, you can probably take the whole perforated cover off to install the EXP GDC and the gpu, then reinstall the cover and simply insert cables through the hole.

The chassis was newly added to taobao.com so I think it's most likely made for the most recent version of the EXP GDC (the v6 version). I'll be able to confirm compatibility with the EXP GDC v6 once I receive the EXP GDC and the chassis.

I'm confident that you are right!

The rectangular hole in the side aligns pretty well with what you could expect from the power input and HDMI port of the V6.0.

None of his current products supports the older versions of the EXP GDC, the new data cables doesn't even work with the old v5.7 that I have at home.

:Banane36:NEWS: "Say Hello" to EXP GDC V7.0:M.2 / NGFF support! Link to yoybuy

:Banane43:NEWS: Metal enclosure for the EXP GDC v6.0 is here! Link to yoybuy

So what's the difference this time?

BTW, I'm informed that my EXP GDC V6.0 has been lost in transit. I talked to them, and I got my shipping money back. Now I used them for PE4C V2.0, which may be a better choice for me.

So what's the difference this time?

BTW, I'm informed that my EXP GDC V6.0 has been lost in transit. I talked to them, and I got my shipping money back. Now I used them for PE4C V2.0, which may be a better choice for me.

Oh that sucks, waiting for nothing :(

I'd love to see a PE4C V2.0 Implementation, go for it!

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question. AFAIK it's minor design changes to the board layout and added support for the NGFF/M.2 interface. Could mean some additional hardware inside the adapter, not really sure.

Thanks for response about that chasis, but what about the cable? :D Anyone has any experience?

Yes I have used a Right Angle HDMI adapter with the HDMI/Expresscard cable that was provided to route the cable in the direction I needed without any issues.

You can use any HDMI extension since it just mimics the data.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys, I'm selling my EXP GDC that I bought from @M-Low. When I purchased this from him, I also purchased the AkiTio at the same time. But since I have already the eGPU setup working for AkiTio, this needs to go. Basically, I wasn't able to use this one. I tested my eGPU straight to AkiTio. I'm selling it for 48$ free shipping.

Here's m-low's original listing

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6643-exp-gdc-v6-discussion-12.html#post92889

:Banane36:NEWS: "Say Hello" to EXP GDC V7.0:M.2 / NGFF support! Link to yoybuy

:Banane43:NEWS: Metal enclosure for the EXP GDC v6.0 is here! Link to yoybuy

AWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My latest desktop motherboard has a M.2 slot~~~~~~ (the PCIe based version :D )

Tempted to get it, but I'd really only use it for one test, I don't have a need for it anymore.

Still great news though! Hopefully more and more M.2 PCIe based laptops get released so you eGPU folk can enjoy that performance gain!

• Thumbs Up 1

If anyone is wondering - @entzoe was a very reliable buyer; honest and easily reachable. Our transactions went very smoothly and I would definitely recommend purchasing from him as opposed to the external sites for two reasons: 1) save on shipping costs, 2) item itself it marked down. Therefore, you'll be able use the EXP GDC for much less than purchasing from China (or wherever they actually come from).

My latest desktop motherboard has a M.2 slot~~~~~~ (the PCIe based version biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.Nem8pNRYrb.png )

Tempted to get it, but I'd really only use it for one test, I don't have a need for it anymore.

Still great news though! Hopefully more and more M.2 PCIe based laptops get released so you eGPU folk can enjoy that performance gain!

@angerthosenear - will M.2 provide much performance gain over Thunderbolt 2.0 implementations? From my understanding, the port is a x4 PCIe with a 6 Gbit/s bandwidth - but I'm not sure about the bandwidth as that might only be referring to the SATA... I'm guessing that one could use the M.2 to plug directly into the motherboard, which would be pretty sweet. (I don't know enough about this tech) What does the M.2 really mean for eGPUs though???

• Thumbs Up 2

My latest desktop motherboard has a M.2 slot~~~~~~ (the PCIe based version :D )

It would be very interesting to see if the adapter is capped at 5GB/s or not. How much bandwidth does the M.2 have normally?