EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hey guys, just got my eGPU setup working for the first time. Im using a GTX 660 with Beast V6 (expresscard) to drive an external monitor and the dGPU to drive the lcd.

Everything works great except GPU-Z reports my card is using "pci-e 1.1 x16 @ x1 1.1" when I was expecting to get a PCI 2.0 x1 link. This is on a lenovo thinkpad W510 with the QM57 chipset. Lenovo doesnt specify what version the expresscard slot is. Can anyone confirm this laptop has an expresscard 2.0 slot? If so how might I enable x2 speed?

58 minutes ago, SupaD63 said:

Hey guys, just got my eGPU setup working for the first time. Im using a GTX 660 with Beast V6 (expresscard) to drive an external monitor and the dGPU to drive the lcd.

Everything works great except GPU-Z reports my card is using "pci-e 1.1 x16 @ x1 1.1" when I was expecting to get a PCI 2.0 x1 link. This is on a lenovo thinkpad W510 with the QM57 chipset. Lenovo doesnt specify what version the expresscard slot is. Can anyone confirm this laptop has an expresscard 2.0 slot? If so how might I enable x2 speed?

Lenovo W510 is a 1st gen i-core with only has a PCIe 1.1 (Gen1) EC/mPCIe slot. You require a 2nd-gen i-core (W520) or newer to have a PCIe 2.0 (Gen2) capability. Note too that the QM57 chipset datasheet refers to PCIe 2.0 but that's misleading. It's only for the power management side, not for link speed.

Hi, I Have Lenovo Y50.  What kind of of GDC Beast V8 is suitable for me? 

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html

http://www.banggood.com/NGFF-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009978.html

I want to buy 970 G1. What kind of PSU ,Cable and etc will be needed?

This is my motherboard:

Lenovo-Y50-70-2.jpg

Edited by EDk-TheONE

Hi,

I have exp gdc aries v7.0. I have dell latitude e5430. It works fine when i plugged it in mcpie slot. I have expresscard slot so i decided to run it with expresscard adapter. So bascially the setup is the same. But only mpcie is changed to expresscard slot but my laptop turns on without detecting the gpu. When i plug in the exp gdc via EC slot, the graphic card turns on, the fan starts spinning but nothing is showed in the device manager.  Expresscard is enabled in bios. I dont know what else to do. Please help me

Thanks

Hi to every one!

I'm thinking about startind my gdc beast project and found one in gearbest for 60usd with dell powe adapter http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229355.html

I'm wondering are they chating or not because price for all is realy cheap including shipping. Has any one purchased from them? I saw that banggood is selling just gdc without power adapter for 45usd. If gearbest is not cheating it is perfect price deal to get started.  Any sugestions? 

16 minutes ago, Laferu said:

Help-me Please! . 
The eGPU stops working before the login screen. Without disabling the dGPU, the eGPU works but with error 43. 

This is what fixed it for me:

boot into wintows with egpu unplugged.

plug in egpu and check device manager. Egpu should br recognized and drivers installed. If not adjust td switch on adaptor.

If either dgpu or egpu reports code 43

Right click uninstall drivers for BOTH gpus's then click check for new hardware.

windows will automatically reinstall drivers and code 43 should be resolved.  I had to do this several times before both gpus installed drivers sucessfully.

10 minutes ago, SupaD63 said:

This is what fixed it for me:

boot into wintows with egpu unplugged.

plug in egpu and check device manager. Egpu should br recognized and drivers installed. If not adjust td switch on adaptor.

If either dgpu or egpu reports code 43

Right click uninstall drivers for BOTH gpus's then click check for new hardware.

windows will automatically reinstall drivers and code 43 should be resolved.  I had to do this several times before both gpus installed drivers sucessfully.

"Boot into windows with egpu unplugged. Plug in egpu" = White Screen. 

I use mPCI-e:(

16 hours ago, Laferu said:

Help-me Please! . 
The eGPU stops working before the login screen. Without disabling the dGPU, the eGPU works but with error 43. 

UPDATE: PSU FAULTY. PROBLEM SOLVED.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello,

I have a toshiba p755-s5390. I have been trying to connect a exp gdc beast via mpcie and a radeon r7 360 with an atx power supply. I cant get this thing to work. I have tried changing CTD/PTD selector switches with no luck. If i turn on the pc first and egpu second, it will boot but not recognized by windows 10 and gpu fans dont run. If i turn on the egpu first then the pc, the pc will not boot (just a black screen) and the gpu fans run. Can i get some pointers here please? Is it a whitelist issue? Has anyone been able to get or heard of a toshiba being able to do this successfully?

Thanks

1 hour ago, john.wayne said:

Hi people, now v8.** doesn't include this 6pin to 2x 6pin cable

Exp-GDC-6-P-%D0%BE%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%

What to do? Where can i find one? Without it gpu won't work right? Maybe there other places where i could buy it, some links will be great!

Hi,

This is true. If you are powering the unit from an ATX supply then just use the cables from that to power the card. If you are using a power brick though and want a simple splitter this will do the job I think: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-male-to-male-6-PIN-PCI-EXPRESS-Y-SPLITTER-POWER-CABLE-12-MADE-IN-AMERICA-/261465988702?hash=item3ce0965e5e:g:G5AAAOxyOalTXrXo Remember the GPU must be inside the power limits of the power brick and also be 150w or less.

33 minutes ago, Minihack said:

Hi,

This is true. If you are powering the unit from an ATX supply then just use the cables from that to power the card. If you are using a power brick though and want a simple splitter this will do the job I think: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-male-to-male-6-PIN-PCI-EXPRESS-Y-SPLITTER-POWER-CABLE-12-MADE-IN-AMERICA-/261465988702?hash=item3ce0965e5e:g:G5AAAOxyOalTXrXo Remember the GPU must be inside the power limits of the power brick and also be 150w or less.

Well, i want to use my old ATX (400 something) , it has 20 pin+4 pin, but doesn't have any 6pin connectors, if i will use this 6 pin to 2x 6 pin cable just with exp gdc i will be fine? Also if i can use my ATX to power gpu 6+6, what if i will use http://img35.olx.ua/images_slandocomua/245370216_1_644x461_kabel-dlya-videokart-maxxtro-pci-e-6pin-02-m-cc-pcie-alchevsk.jpg something like that 2 molex to 6pin. two of them will do the work with my gpu? And if exp gdc and gpu will be powered directly from ATX everything will be fine?

Hello,

I have a Lenovo W540, with K1100m, and EC exp gdc v7, with gtx460. It is only working in generation1. when i switch to the gen2, the eGPU is not recognised. In the gen1 the gpu-z said it is x1 1.1, not x1 1.2. And the games are laggy, and have fps drops most often.

5 hours ago, Bndka said:

Hello,

I have a Lenovo W540, with K1100m, and EC exp gdc v7, with gtx460. It is only working in generation1. when i switch to the gen2, the eGPU is not recognised. In the gen1 the gpu-z said it is x1 1.1, not x1 1.2. And the games are laggy, and have fps drops most often.

thank you for the information 

greatly appreciated!

I am using an EXP GDC with Generation 2.0 PCI. That was working fine. 

I recently used a ribbon cable to make my install look a little neater, and fit it inside a mini-itx case.

In the process of this i did manipulate the HDMI cable a bit, and also had some driver issues and reinstalled some drivers.

Now when using the ribbon cable between the card and EXP GDC, I am only unable to use Gen 1 PCI. Has anyone else seen Gen 2 fail when trying to use a ribbon cable?

GTX 560ti, EXP GDC, 2570p 16gb RAM.

I got a parcel with Gearbest. With delivery was no problem (quickly). But the EGPU BEAST v. 8.3 does not perform its functions, it has a defect. It works only power supply Dell. The lamp on the adapter and videocard lights up, but laptop ASUS G74SX does not recognize EGPU with videocard ASUS GTX 960 4Gb Strix. So it's either BEAST or the cord which it is attached to the computer. EGPU SETUP 1.30 and troubleshooting on forum, did not help. Or incompatible or defective EGPU.  I think how to return the money. Sorry for the bad english.

Hi guys,

Just received my EXP GDC V8 Expresscard package. Now, I have all the tools to make it work (including DELL DA-2) but I don't have the 6PIN cable to power the graphics card (Gigabyte Radeon 6850). CaN I use any 6PIN cable from a modular PSU or it is a special cable? Does anyone knows the wiring of the one shipped with V7 version? Don't want to fry my graphics card. Thanks! 

Edited by andrei.tuduran
Missing caracters

Hi everyone.

Does the GDC EXP v8 Beast works directly with Dell DA-2 220w power supply? Will I i need to do any modification to the pin?

My setup plan is as follow:

1) Lenovo G400s (i3-3100m, 8GB Ram)

2) GDC EXP Beast V8 - Mini PCIe  (http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html)

3) Dell DA-2 220w (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/laptops/power-adaptors/dell/auction-1027839388.htm)

4) EVGA GTX 680 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-1024903470.htm)

Im very new to this. Hoping to get some help. Thank you very much =)

Edited by HandsomeJack

Hi,

is 6 Pin Graphics Card Cable from Banggood.com needed for use with EXP GDC BEAST V8.0? http://www.banggood.com/6-PIN-Graphics-Card-Cable-for-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1032795.html

Or can i use 2+6 pin pcie connector that comes with PSU?

Thanks

Edited by jake96