EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I need help in setting up EXP GDC Beast. So far, my laptop can detect the egpu. I download the graphics card driver for it (gtx 280) and after I install it, I do a reboot. I then get stuck on a black screen. I have a dell latitude 7240, please help.

Do you have an external monitor? GTX 280 doesn't support Optimus so you won't be able to use the card with your internal display of the notebook. You need a card higher or equal to GTS 450. If the system is trying to use the GTX 280 to display your screen it will use the GTX 280's display output. If you don't have an external monitor attached your internal screen will stay black like it would even if you've got an external monitor because the screen will be displayed on the external.

Do you have an external monitor? GTX 280 doesn't support Optimus so you won't be able to use the card with your internal display of the notebook. You need a card higher or equal to GTS 450. If the system is trying to use the GTX 280 to display your screen it will use the GTX 280's display output. If you don't have an external monitor attached your internal screen will stay black like it would even if you've got an external monitor because the screen will be displayed on the external.

Sorry for the late reply. I currently have it connected to an external monitor via DVI. I've tried variations of the switch on the exp gdc and no luck. I am also on win8.1. IF youcan, could you explain what the two switches does? Also tried powering off the card by turning off the power supply then boot into windows, then go into sleep mode power it on and it just leaves the fan running fast and the external screen black. Please help. I appreciate your response.,

Sorry for the late reply. I currently have it connected to an external monitor via DVI. I've tried variations of the switch on the exp gdc and no luck. I am also on win8.1. IF youcan, could you explain what the two switches does? Also tried powering off the card by turning off the power supply then boot into windows, then go into sleep mode power it on and it just leaves the fan running fast and the external screen black. Please help. I appreciate your response.,

Am the wrong guy for that because I'm using a Thunderbolt adapter but as far as I know at least one of the switches is handling a delay of the time that the adapter is actually powering and connecting with the notebook.

If possible lend a newer graphics card and try it with that.

Apart from this you have to wait for other people to help you with more knowledge about these adapters, sorry.

Hi, i am planning on buying that , but i am not sure about 2 things

my cpu is i3-2348m 2.3 Ghz , 4 gb ram.

is the gtx 750 / gtx 750 ti works with the exp gdc beast?

also - is that going to work with my cpu?

So i have had help here before when i thought that often nvidia driver crash was caused by different PCI gens. I am runnning Acer v3-571g with EXP GDC v6 and GTX 750. Turns out the problem is fridge. :D:D As i understand when fridge turns on, there is voltage drop in the whole electric circuit and there is not enough power for eGPU and it crashes. Which means, every time fridge turns on/off i get black screen for couple of seconds and nvidia driver sometimes crashes. I hope someone understood my problem and i am surprised i am the only one so far with such problem.

What i've tried so far... Instead of atx PSU i tried Dell optilex, did not help. Also i bought Orvaldi which did not help. I hope someone here can help me out because i have no idea how to avoid these jumps in power. And yes, its definitely caused by fridge (voltage drops) because with fridge turned completely off, i get no problems. :)

P.S. Does my dell PSU makes hissing and sometimes sparkling sounds when it is working, is that normal? It does not get hot.

So i have had help here before when i thought that often nvidia driver crash was caused by different PCI gens. I am runnning Acer v3-571g with EXP GDC v6 and GTX 750. Turns out the problem is fridge. :D:D As i understand when fridge turns on, there is voltage drop in the whole electric circuit and there is not enough power for eGPU and it crashes. Which means, every time fridge turns on/off i get black screen for couple of seconds and nvidia driver sometimes crashes. I hope someone understood my problem and i am surprised i am the only one so far with such problem.

What i've tried so far... Instead of atx PSU i tried Dell optilex, did not help. Also i bought Orvaldi which did not help. I hope someone here can help me out because i have no idea how to avoid these jumps in power. And yes, its definitely caused by fridge (voltage drops) because with fridge turned completely off, i get no problems. :)

P.S. Does my dell PSU makes hissing and sometimes sparkling sounds when it is working, is that normal? It does not get hot.

Maker of EXP GDC V6 advised me that the voltage regulation circuitry on it had been revised in subsequent version (Beast) to prevent such dropouts. Still, if you want a better solution I'd advise getting a PE4C V3.0. It's soldered cable ensures best possible Gen2 and even Gen3 signal integrity.

Maker of EXP GDC V6 advised me that the voltage regulation circuitry on it had been revised in subsequent version (Beast) to prevent such dropouts. Still, if you want a better solution I'd advise getting a PE4C V3.0. It's soldered cable ensures best possible Gen2 and even Gen3 signal integrity.

Well i hoped that there are some voltage regulators or something as i have spent loads to try and fix the problem (DIY 3.0, another PSU and UPS). I really hope there is cheaper solution.

Well i hoped that there are some voltage regulators or something as i have spent loads to try and fix the problem (DIY 3.0, another PSU and UPS). I really hope there is cheaper solution.

Cloud, the maker, advised to fix V6's voltage dropout issue: "There is a MP2307DN chip on the motherboard, replaced with new can." Go figure what that means. When trying to get an understanding of what this means I got the response "Is this chip, the number in question was not much, thousands of three probability."

Must be google-translating.

Cloud, the maker, advised to fix V6's voltage dropout issue: "There is a MP2307DN chip on the motherboard, replaced with new can." Go figure what that means. When trying to get an understanding of what this means I got the response "Is this chip, the number in question was not much, thousands of three probability."

Must be google-translating.

Probably... Well there probably is solution which is not connected with the actual GPU, i just don't have such knowledge in electricity. Maybe some electrician will stumble on this post. xD

Hello!

Recently I have bought EXP GDC Beast adapter with Mini PCI-E interface and I have a problem with it. I hope someone could help me.

My specs.

Asus K50IJ

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Pentium T4400

Intel GMA 4500M

RAM 4 GB

For external graphics card I am using Geforce 3.

In laptop BIOS there are no settings about PCI-E slot.

Geforce 3 is a low power card so I can use 12V laptop adapter.

I connect EXP GDC to laptop via Mini PCI-E interface, external monitor to Geforce 3.

When I turn on laptop, Windows starts normally, but there is a black screen on external monitor, fan on a Geforce 3 is spinning, but there is a red light on a EXP GDC adapter. Windows could not detect any new hardware and when I tried to install Nvidia drivers I have a message “This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware”. Changing CTD and PTD settings does not help.

When I am using 300W ATX PSU it is even worse. Still there is a red light on a EXP GDC adapter, but fan on a Geforce 3 is spinning slower then before and laptop do not want to boot, not even to BIOS.

Regards.post-36934-144950003887_thumb.jpg

How limiting would this be say if I have an Alienware 17 R5 the one with 880M and 4910MQ if I were to plug this in the wireless card mpcie (

x1 PCI 2.0~3.0?) slot and use a GTX 780 Ti? My guess is that it will out perform the gtx 880m but is the 1x mpcie a huge bottle neck?

Would the EXP GDC Beast along side with a GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5, GB-BXi7-4770R, with the Dell 220W adapter be a good compatibility? If not what is the worst possible outcome of incompatibility?

So I recently bought the EXP GDC beast adapter for my laptop, along with a new Nvidia GTX 960 and a Seasonic 530w power supply with it. I believe I have all things set up correctly, the gpu has power and everything lights up accordingly. But I have this one problem that I cannot find a way to fix.

Every time I turn on my laptop with everything else plugged in and turned on, my screen lights up but remains blank. It just sits there and does nothing, I can't do anything (or atleast know what im doing). I have an LG monitor hooked up to the GTX 960 but it consantly says that it has no connections and then goes into sleep mode. I have gone into BIOS and it has no such options for external displays and the like. I have tried fiddling with display options and even the CTD and PTD switches on the adapter. But nothing seems to work.

I have a Hp envy 17 notebook with:

8gb of Ram

i7-4700MQ CPU

GT 740m graphics chip

Also yes I have updated drivers for Nvidia and BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone give me some advice. I have a dell XPS 17 (3d) L702X . Will the EXP GDC or PE4C V3.0 work? And wich one would be the best for my laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Please refer to the comment on the opening post of this thread:

Tech Inferno Fan>> I recommend a slightly pricier BPlus PE4C V3.0 over any EXP GDC product as it has no Gen2 expresscard signalling issues when tested on my Dell E6440. The EXP GDC V6 does glitch occasionally with a "NVidia driver has stopped responding" with the manufacturer unwilling to supply an updated Beast product for review. I'm therefore assuming the problem isn't corrected in the newer version.

Thanks for the reply, i thought the Gen2 problem was fixen in de EXP GDC Beast V7. Do you know if the BPlus PE4C V3.0 is compatible with the dell xps 17?

If want verification of operation then check for existing eGPU implementations with your system or one similar: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html

Hi guys!

I should probably have researched before buying all the stuff I did, but I guess I'm not that clever. xD Let's see if you guys can still help me.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L735-11Q. I bought the EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock for PSU: Silence 500W Black Edition ATX PC Power Supply PSU With 12CM Silent Fan And SATA / 24 PIN / 4 PIN / MOLEX and finally GPU: Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 StormX OC Graphics Card (1GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0).

If you guys recomend any different components, most of it I got recently so I can probably return/exchange. I don't think they take returns for the GDC Beast dock tho do they?

Hopefully I made good purchases and you guys can help me figure why I get black screen on booting? I tried already booting the computer with psu off, getting the computer on standby and then starting the eGPU but that didn't work.

I tried disabling the laptop graphics card on the device manager. I tried it both with my External LED screen and the laptop screen. The external led I tried it both with the HDMI and the VGA hooked to the eGPU.

Thank you in advance for any attention and help and if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I'll be more than happy to amend it.

Cheers.

Edit: Just want to make not that the psu, exp gdc red led, and gpu all go on when I power the laptop on with it the external bits all connected just the screen is black.

Hi guys!

I should probably have researched before buying all the stuff I did, but I guess I'm not that clever. xD Let's see if you guys can still help me.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L735-11Q. I bought the EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock for PSU: Silence 500W Black Edition ATX PC Power Supply PSU With 12CM Silent Fan And SATA / 24 PIN / 4 PIN / MOLEX and finally GPU: Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 StormX OC Graphics Card (1GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0).

If you guys recomend any different components, most of it I got recently so I can probably return/exchange. I don't think they take returns for the GDC Beast dock tho do they?

Hopefully I made good purchases and you guys can help me figure why I get black screen on booting? I tried already booting the computer with psu off, getting the computer on standby and then starting the eGPU but that didn't work.

I tried disabling the laptop graphics cardon the device manager. I tried it both with my External LED screen and the laptop screen. The external led I tried it both with the HDMI and the VGA hooked to the eGPU.

Just want to make note that the psu, exp gdc red led, and gpu all go on when I power the laptop on with the external bits all connected just the screen is black.

Thank you in advance for any attention and help and if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I'll be more than happy to amend it.

Cheers.

Hello!

My specs:

Toshiba Satellite R850

EXP GDC Beast with mini PCI-E cable

GeForce GTX 960

ATX PSU

eGPU is detected and worked, drivers loaded, Windows worked properly but laptop fan worked on extremely high speed.

It starts immediately before loading Windows.

And I can't access BIOS settings when eGPU is connected. When I try to do it, I see a black screen.

I disconnected eGPU, entered the BIOS and changed fun speed to low. Then connected eGPU and started notebook again but problem still exists.

Can anyone help me?