[Q] M14x R2 Overclock and temps

dgiaimo

So i just re-pasted with IC diamond and was wondering for anyone with an unlocked bios/vbios, what overclock levels have been "safe" in terms of stability and temp? Currently i haven't flashed the modified files but am running at +135/+200 gpu and memory. If i do take the leap and overclock (to be honest, not all that familiar with DOS so, a bit daunting) what have you guys experienced as the max overclock without issues (temp or stability wise) Thanks!

For CPU, I'm still messing with it to make sure it isn't overly hot. 4.5GHz is a bit too hot when under full load. (over 85C upwards of 90C+)

For GPU, since it has the same core as the 660M and 750M, it can be OC'd quite a bit. (can't even get over 75C when I'm really trying to heat it up)

Here is a screenie of NVI for the settings I use when gaming on the go:

TA11pB3.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I was wondering if underclocking the gpu mem by about 750 would bring down heat for a better core clock? i never seem to need to utilize the full mem speed in any games i play anyhow.

I'll try this and report in tomorrow. I don't have issue with the GPU getting too hot. I wouldn't really call 75C hot. Maybe that's just me though.

Might need another vbios mod to allow the slider to bump up a bit more if this does have a significant enough impact.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to mod my vbios today and do some testing on this as well, thanks for the quick response. I'm guessing you use throttlestop for cpu ocing, is that a good place to start for that? I'm looking to increase my cpu to at least 3.5 for wii emulation, because they dont use more than one core for cpu, one for gpu , and one for sound, do you think that my temperatures will be reasonable?

I'm going to mod my vbios today and do some testing on this as well, thanks for the quick response. I'm guessing you use throttlestop for cpu ocing, is that a good place to start for that? I'm looking to increase my cpu to at least 3.5 for wii emulation, because they dont use more than one core for cpu, one for gpu , and one for sound, do you think that my temperatures will be reasonable?

I'm using the vbios off a random clevo. With the Dell one you are stuck with the 67C thermal limit.

Can't use throttlestop since it'll mess up the voltage the CPU needs to operate, at least for me. I've done all my changing in the BIOS or with XTU.

What CPU do you have? I have the 3920XM running at 4.4GHz at a little over 1.3V atm. I don't really run into thermal issues. And that's around 65W.

i have i7 3610qm. also with the current drivers i'm running the gpu throttling is not working, neither is boost clock, but that doesn't matter if i'm overclocked. I have little experience with CPU overclocking.

edit: It is at 3100 maxed atm, I think I'm going to have to go into the bios for any more.

I'm using the vbios off a random clevo. With the Dell one you are stuck with the 67C thermal limit.

Can't use throttlestop since it'll mess up the voltage the CPU needs to operate, at least for me. I've done all my changing in the BIOS or with XTU.

What CPU do you have? I have the 3920XM running at 4.4GHz at a little over 1.3V atm. I don't really run into thermal issues. And that's around 65W.

Can you share the vbios you are using and the method used to flash? I would like to bypass the 67C limit as wel

l

Can you share the vbios you are using and the method used to flash? I would like to bypass the 67C limit as wel

l

The vbios is part of the main bios. You'll have to wait on a release from @svl7 about this. I was the tester for the bios/vbios, sometimes it didn't work so well ;D....

The vbios is part of the main bios. You'll have to wait on a release from @svl7 about this. I was the tester for the bios/vbios, sometimes it didn't work so well ;D....

Oh, i see from your posts it sounded like you had it stable, What kind of problems were there with the alienware, flashing problems? Is there still plan to release this mod or still a work in progress?.

Oh, i see from your posts it sounded like you had it stable, What kind of problems were there with the alienware, flashing problems? Is there still plan to release this mod or still a work in progress?.

It's very picky about the vBIOS, sometimes the GPU would completely fail to be initialized. But most of the issue was getting rid of the thermal limit and allowing the sliders for OC'ing to 1. actually work. 2. persist. 3. be on a large enough spectrum to be useful but not overly risky for new OC'ers.

Flashing it isn't an issue.

I changed my boot logos too so had to figure those out (didn't take long though).

Not sure what the plans are, I think there were some small things that had to be done before it is released.

I haven't had any issues with the current version so it's more than likely stable enough for release.

It's very picky about the vBIOS, sometimes the GPU would completely fail to be initialized. But most of the issue was getting rid of the thermal limit and allowing the sliders for OC'ing to 1. actually work. 2. persist. 3. be on a large enough spectrum to be useful but not overly risky for new OC'ers. Flashing it isn't an issue. I changed my boot logos too so had to figure those out (didn't take long though). Not sure what the plans are, I think there were some small things that had to be done before it is released. I haven't had any issues with the current version so it's more than likely stable enough for release.
What power supply are you using with it , the 150W ?

What power supply are you using with it , the 150W ?

Yeah 150W, I don't have a Kill-a-Watt so I can't see if I'm needing a large brick to get a higher OC on my CPU (it caps out at 67W no matter the priplane / other power settings).

But as long as your CPU is using 65W or less, I don't see any issues with power settings.

• 1 month later...