MSI GT70 ONE laptop 675mx, clock speed not stable when overclocking

NerdyJack

Hi guys, I have a MSI GT70 laptop which I locked for 4 month last term, when I use it again, I noticed that the overclock at 797, 2198MHz is not stable anymore. The clock speed jumps up and down from 797 MHz to 199MHz, and the laptop adaptor is making "ticking" sound with a high rate. I updated the laptop with the unofficial EC control, but it doesn't help. I'm wondering if the adaptor is faulty? Thank you in advance for your reply!

"and the laptop adaptor is making "ticking" sound with a high rate"

Are you sure it's from the adaptator?

On old games my gpu's condensators make this kind of noise.

If an overclock is not stable anymore, it's maybe a driver issue.

Hi guys, I have a MSI GT70 laptop which I locked for 4 month last term, when I use it again, I noticed that the overclock at 797, 2198MHz is not stable anymore. The clock speed jumps up and down from 797 MHz to 199MHz, and the laptop adaptor is making "ticking" sound with a high rate. I updated the laptop with the unofficial EC control, but it doesn't help. I'm wondering if the adaptor is faulty? Thank you in advance for your reply!

In what software specifically are the clocks fluctuating? Did you update the drivers? I am asking because I have the same problem with new nVidia drivers in Furmark. It works perfectly fine with other benchmarks I have tried, so I gather it must be new anti-"stressmark" options in newer nV drivers.

Hi landsome, I am using MSI afterburner, and I was running Kombuster to test the overclock when the fluctuation happens. Is your laptop adaptor making ticking noise?

It may be from the drivers. I did not have this problem before and after updating drivers it popped up - to my great surprise.

No noises in my adapter (but I do not have an MSI machine), though they are not really uncommon (had this problem with Dell and Clevo adapters previously).

It may be from the drivers. I did not have this problem before and after updating drivers it popped up - to my great surprise.

No noises in my adapter (but I do not have an MSI machine), though they are not really uncommon (had this problem with Dell and Clevo adapters previously).

Interesting... Might have something to do with the driver, cuz I let it to do auto updates.. It is not bothering me too much tho cuz it won't happen for most games. Just when testing with Kombuster.

Interesting... Might have something to do with the driver, cuz I let it to do auto updates.. It is not bothering me too much tho cuz it won't happen for most games. Just when testing with Kombuster.

Out of sheer curiosity, try the following. Start GPU-Z, make it log results ("Log to file"), set the polling time at 0.1sec, then run Furmark / Kombustor. While the latter shows indeed that the GPU throttles (735-182MHz and back in my case), GPU-Z records clean 735MHz all the way down.

Go figure...

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of sheer curiosity, try the following. Start GPU-Z, make it log results ("Log to file"), set the polling time at 0.1sec, then run Furmark / Kombustor. While the latter shows indeed that the GPU throttles (735-182MHz and back in my case), GPU-Z records clean 735MHz all the way down.

Go figure...

Thank you for your information/suggestions, I just got the 330W laptop adaptor from Dell and the tip converter from bitnext ( X75 Power Connector - 7.4 x 5.08mm Female Jack to 5.5 x 2.5mm Male Plug ) today, and did a test using Kombuster. The result is quite good, the overclock is now stable even at 948/2198MHz. I think my old adaptor is somehow partially broken and can't supply 180W power anymore (and that's probably why it's making a ticking sound every 1/5 second..).. The new dell adaptor is running cool (The old adaptor is super hot when gaming) and quiet and I'm quite happy about it.

- - - Updated - - -

For anybody with the same problem, Please refer to the post above. This thread can be marked as solved now.

Older adapters will make this noise and its not really a concern. More than likely it is a driver or vbios problem.

Additionally if you have played around with voltage offsets try resetting them back to normal BEFORE restoring the vbios/EC/bios software.

Also you could have done damage to the Voltage regulators or core multiplyers. In this case, the capability to stay within the confines of your thermal/power envelope are weakened causing fluctuations which results in the syptooms you are seeing.

I'm dreading the day this happens to me. I'm rocking the GT70-2OD, and I just know the power adapter is going to be the first thing to die. I tested the temperature with an IR gun, and after a few hours of gaming, sitting on a flat surface, it reads 60C, and is uncomfortable to hold. I've been happy with the laptop so far, but i know the stock power brick is not enough, especially after overclocking.