Y500 - Fan turns up regularly (every 30 sec to 60 sec)

jeye

Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with my Y500. Well, I'm not sure if it's a real issue or not but it's really annoying. Normally, my laptop is enjoyably quite. But every 30 sec up to 60 sec, the fan turns up and does some more noise. It's a normal fan noise, so I don't think it's broken. When I do some easy tasks like web browsing, core temperatur is about 44°C, graphic card about 36°C, so that seems to be ok, right?

Could there be something that is broken? I would expect the fan to turn at a normal, average speed, rather than turning down and then turning up again. I tried to control the fan speed (e.g. Speedfan), but it didn't work, that's why I want to flash my BIOS. But first I want to exclude other reasons. I hope it's not because of dust, I read it's not an easy thing to open the Y500...

Thank for your help, cheers.

In your "Power Saving" advanced settings, what is your Processor power management > System cooling policy set to? Passive or active?

I'm not sure how Passive works, but I've always been under the impression that it doesn't activate the fan until the CPU reaches a higher temperature.