MSI Whitebook 1761 - fan speed issues

Herrick

Hi guys,

Having some issues with my fan:

There's on (100%) or off (0%) but nothing in between. Instead of moving up and down through the percentages, it seems that the fan only has 2 states.

When this issue started:

Yesterday I thought I'd open up the case and clean the dust from the vents.

Dropped fan. ( >.< )

When reconnecting the fan, I bent one of the prongs so it touched the other, but didn't realise at first.

Powered up laptop, realised fan wasn't running, turned off laptop, discovered bent prongs, bent back into position and reconnected fan.

Verified that connection was good using multimeter.

Turned on, fan ran, but issues started.

What I've tried:

Reflashed BIOS using Xonar's. Followed post-flash steps (took out battery, removed AC/DC adaptor).

Problem persists.

Went into Thermal Configuration on BIOS and adjusted fan temps/speeds.

Problem persists.

Clean install of G-Card drivers.

Problem persists.

What I think the problem is:

I think when I dropped the fan I dislodged the controller wire inside the fan itself, on the fan's PCB. Because of this, all directions for the fan to switch on result in 100% on, without allowing any steps in between. I think that buying a new fan will fix the problem...

What do you guys think?

EDIT1] My problem is exactly that of OP in: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162459.0

EDIT2] Also, I appreciate that you guys like to help out because you're helpful people, but if anyone can provide a solution to this I'll paypal you £10, or donate it to TI. I've used this forum before for and received excellent advice, yet have not been able to offer anything myself!

• 2 weeks later...

Try resetting the EC by removing all power from the laptop completely thats Battery and Power Supply for 5 minutes. See if it goes back to normal if not i suggest you flash the EC Firmware for your laptop just incase.

If that doesn't fix it you may of shorted something on the board that controls the fan.

Have done as above. When trying to flash EC firmware, I get an error saying the board type is not compatible. My EC version (from BIOS) is: 1761EG61 Ver. 4.05 ...which is really weird, as a google search indicates is for Chinese versions of this laptop...

Oh, and after I reverted from Xonar's BIOS to the MSI one, my copy of Windows is no longer genuine. -_____- Just great.

Is there any way to force EC firmware to write? /p or something?

X

Paging the god of MSI.

Have done as above. When trying to flash EC firmware, I get an error saying the board type is not compatible. My EC version (from BIOS) is: 1761EG61 Ver. 4.05 ...which is really weird, as a google search indicates is for Chinese versions of this laptop...

Oh, and after I reverted from Xonar's BIOS to the MSI one, my copy of Windows is no longer genuine. -_____- Just great.

Is there any way to force EC firmware to write? /p or something?

Paging the god of MSI.

If it's a whitebook you need to contact the appropriate reseller that sold you your notebook and ask for the EC files. MSI doesn't provide direct support for Whitebooks, only the retail versions. If you bought the notebook from a retailer, not reseller, you may have to ask someone else to go fetch it for you or randomly email some resellers and hope they are nice.

My question boils down to something fairly simple, actually.

Q: Is it possible to, when in DOS, force a firmware upgrade for the EC by over-riding checks?

...(As can be done with BIOS by adding \x )

Don't do that, you'll mess up your EC for good. This files on the MSI site are garbage for Whitebooks. Ask a reseller for the EC files.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw ok, have contacted MSI, they're going to email me the correct BIOS and EC firmware (hopefully). I don't support you know what might be causing my fan issues do you Xonar? :/ If the EC firmware upgrade doesn't work then I'm shit out of ideas.

Never force a update even with a Bios or EC Firmware. If it complains that its not compatible it means just that, its not compatible.

The reason i suggested to re-flash the EC firmware is just in case you have managed to corrupt it. I used to use the fan control tools by Pherein and even after a EC / NVRAM reset the fans still acted up so i used to then flash the EC Firmware which then corrected the issue.

If you have no luck after do not give up have a word with Svet over at the MSI forums he might be able to help you as he is able to change the EC Firmware's Fan control table like he did on mine but i must stress he works on a Donation to work method.

Hope this helps a little more.

Also when you do get the BIos and EC firmware i find it best to flash EC then the Bios after without a reboot in between.

Aw ok, have contacted MSI, they're going to email me the correct BIOS and EC firmware (hopefully). I don't support you know what might be causing my fan issues do you Xonar? :/ If the EC firmware upgrade doesn't work then I'm shit out of ideas.

No idea.

Well the EC does control the fan relatively to temps. I'd try and use Pherein's Fan Control first. Even though you have a Whitebook (1761), the fan profile settings are identical to the Retail verison (GT780). Pherein's has the option for the GT780. You also need RWEverything for Phereins.

UPDATE: Flashed original BIOS and EC firmware, courtesy of MSI (DL links at end of post).

Fan is still broken, as before, pulsing on (100%) and off (0%). I'm now thinking that perhaps it is a hardware issue. It's not the fan itself, as this is new. The connection from the fan to the mainboard is good - I have confirmed this using a multimeter. Given how I accidentally caused 2 of the 3 pins to be touching when I powered the laptop on, I think that there is a reasonable chance that a capacitor somewhere down the line has popped.

I'm seriously tempted to just sell my laptop on ebay and use the money to subsidise the purchase of a new one, at this point.

Advice, as always, very much appreciated.

MS-1761 WHITEBOOK bios: E1761IG6.30I.RAR

MS-1761 WHITEBOOK EC firmware: 1761EG61.405.rar

UPDATE: Flashed original BIOS and EC firmware, courtesy of MSI (DL links at end of post).

Fan is still broken, as before, pulsing on (100%) and off (0%). I'm now thinking that perhaps it is a hardware issue. It's not the fan itself, as this is new. The connection from the fan to the mainboard is good - I have confirmed this using a multimeter. Given how I accidentally caused 2 of the 3 pins to be touching when I powered the laptop on, I think that there is a reasonable chance that a capacitor somewhere down the line has popped.

I'm seriously tempted to just sell my laptop on ebay and use the money to subsidise the purchase of a new one, at this point.

Advice, as always, very much appreciated.

MS-1761 WHITEBOOK bios: E1761IG6.30I.RAR

MS-1761 WHITEBOOK EC firmware: 1761EG61.405.rar

Sorry to hear that. Honestly, selling it might be your best bet at this point. Hardware issues can cause a work of headaches and wrong part purchases.

Sorry to hear that. Honestly, selling it might be your best bet at this point. Hardware issues can cause a work of headaches and wrong part purchases.

^^ The thing I'm finding is, my laptop while bought in 20012 is relatively good spec. as I upgraded parts in January - it's got a quad core i7 and a 770m.

Do you reckon it's worth selling as used parts, or as a broken laptop?

Yeah, I've already ordered another laptop. I just don't know how best to sell by existing one. I can get at least £200 for the Nvidia 770m on it's own, so I don't know whether it's better to take it apart an sell the g-card, processor, screen, keyboard, RAM etc individually, or just to sell the laptop as-is with a reserve of £350. Tricky one.

Yeah, I've already ordered another laptop. I just don't know how best to sell by existing one. I can get at least £200 for the Nvidia 770m on it's own, so I don't know whether it's better to take it apart an sell the g-card, processor, screen, keyboard, RAM etc individually, or just to sell the laptop as-is with a reserve of £350. Tricky one.

Selling it together will net one sale, for less though. Less headaches.

Parting it will net more profit, but much harder. You might not be able to sell all parts and can take months.

Selling it together will net one sale, for less though. Less headaches.

Parting it will net more profit, but much harder. You might not be able to sell all parts and can take months.

You could sell the GPU for £200 as you originally planned, but keep the other parts somewhere safe in the house so you can service you new computer if something goes wrong (RAM, processors, and WLAN card are probably the only ones compatible).