G75VW: Random shutdown and reboots

Coltrasten

Hello,

I have had this G75VW-FS71 for almost a year now. And a couple of months ago it started acting out weird. Random shutdowns could happen when I were surfing the web or playing a game. So I checked the temperatures and I didn't notice anything off the charts. I also checked the memory to see if there was a problem with those, but nothing came up. I have tried with three different hard drives and the same problem occurs.

So I decided to re-install Windows 7, but the problem persisted. Sometimes up to 20 times a day, and sometimes it wouldn't shut down for weeks.

And about a week ago it started to shutdown almost instantly when I started a game (Diablo 3). So did a complete tear-down and changed the thermal paste. This changed the temperatures a little bit, but nothing much. But I still have those shutdown-problems. Only now the computer reboots instead of shut down.

Anyone have a tip on what to test next?

Also do me a favor and check in your C:\Windows\ for a folder called minidump and see if there are any files in there that were created around the time you experienced those crashes.

Hi,

The Minidump-map is empty, so no information there.

I also checked the memory to see if there was a problem with those, but nothing came up. I have tried with three different hard drives and the same problem occurs.

I forgot to mention that it were Memtest I used to check the memory, and it didn´t report any errors.

I can run Prime95 for hours without any restarts or shutdowns.

Thank you for checking those for me. I know you've already done a tear down and reapplied thermal pastes, etc.

Did you happen to turn it on while you had it tore down and actually check the temps (with your finger or a thermometer)

while it was running?

It shut down with Diablo 3 almost instantly, have you tried running any other games on it? What were the results?

The strange thing is that sometimes I can play Diablo 3 for one minute before a shut down and the next time I can play it for four hours straight and without a single shutdown. This applies to other games to, like DayZ.

I didn't check the temperature while the computer was all stripped down. But I will definitely try that next time.

Sorry to hijack your thread, having the same problem as you but with a MSi GT683, at first it was totally random sometimes not shutting down for weeks, now as soon I run a gpu intensive application it shutdowns and restarts, ordered a new gpu last saturday we'll see how it goes with it. One thing I noticed that the laptop wont start on battery.

I had a similar issue and turned out I had a bad fan.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I recently opened my G75VW and placed a 120 mm Delta Fan underneath. The CPU temp were around 55 and the GPU was around 35 at max load. So I don't think it's a heat problem here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found overclocking my GTX 670m caused random shutdowns without any prior warnings (blue screens). Found out my issue had been due to a lack of voltage, rather than heating. Could be the same issue for you? Try a custom bios - at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
I found overclocking my GTX 670m caused random shutdowns without any prior warnings (blue screens). Found out my issue had been due to a lack of voltage, rather than heating. Could be the same issue for you? Try a custom bios - at your own risk.

That have crossed my mind, but I can't find any modded bios for 670M, just 660M.

EDIT: It seems like there is one for the 670m card, but I can't find anything on increasing the voltage?

It seems like my 670M uses the one vbios that can't be altered with. So for now I have to set my GPU clock to 450 MHz for it to be stable.

post-24650-14494997884031_thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...

In many cases where shutdowns or even bluescreen happen, there is some electrical problem. I had shutdowns and bluescreens with just 1 game and the problem was the mainboard. After i exchanged it everything was fine. Prior to replacement i ran every test available on ram, gpu, hardrives, etc.. with no problems. I couldn't explain it but after i replaced the mainboard everything was fine.

Doesn't have to be your solution but it could be one.

• 2 weeks later...
I fixed this for me by uninstalling pyhx and setting the physx processor to cpu and the shuttdowns stopped!

i could even overclock it

I tried that before, didn't help my problem :(.

But I got to increase my GPU clock from 400 mhz to 530 mhz, and that because I pushed the vcore from 0.9 V to 0.92 V. Not sure if I will get better results pushing it some more.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
what Video Chip/BGA have you?

post-24650-1449499862809_thumb.png

post-24650-14494998628334_thumb.jpg

Try and check the heat sensors for the gpu and cpu, maybe it's getting too hot?

I have checked the temperature plenty of times. My conclusion is that it's not a heat related problem.

Now I've added this line to my startup

nvidiaInspector.exe "-forcePState:0,1 -SetPStateLimit:0,1 -setShaderClock:0,2,1100 -setMemoryClock:0,2,1501 -setVoltage:0,1,850"

So I manually set my GPU clock (shaderclock) to 1100mhz which gives my card 550mhz, thats 70 mhz down from original speed. But now it works flawless with no shutdowns.

post-24650-14494998629633_thumb.png