Unlock i7 7xxqm

jexu

First I apologize because I have not managed to unlock anything and the title is the aim pursued, not the result. But I'm under the suspicion that all the i7 7xx 8xx and 9xx processors are the same part.

In these images we can see with the same mechanical base.

---------------Images i7 720qm-----------------------------------

720qm 3

720qm 4

720qm

720qm 2

---------------Images i7 920xm------------------------------------

920xm front

920xm back

920xm 2

920xm

---------------Images i7 940xm-------------------------------------

940xm 2

940xm

940xm 3

---------------Intel Datasheet----------------------------------------

Intel® Core? i7-900/i7-800/i7-700 Mobile Processor: Datasheet, V.1

Intel® Core? i7-900/i7-800/i7-700 Mobile Processor: Datasheet, V.2

Intel® Core? i7-900/i7-800/i7-700 Mobile Processor Series: Update

Products (Formerly Clarksfield)

In search of information I found an article where intel was experimenting with a pilot program that consisted of selling licenses to unlock cores and processor functions. (date 9/2010) Logically has not been implemented.

Desbloquea tu CPU Intel previo pago, una realidad que aún no lo es en España

Intel quiere que pagues para desbloquear la auténtica potencia de sus chips

So I would find a way to unlock it.

I think something like this was discussed here a while ago, if I recall correctly it was @Khenglish who came up with this... generally the thought was that the chips get set up and locked down with efuses. Now if we had access to several cpus for testing and measuring it might be possible to figure out something regarding this.

On a related not, I got a 940xm ES, a 920xm ES, 8x0qm, 720QM and 740QM here... should not kill them though, they're not all mine.

thanks for replying . It is an honor to speak with you I have seen the vbios mod and I think there's a lot of talent and courage to do anything.

I have read that some processors amd had made ​​several microcuts laser, then I wonder if there would be much difference with intel .

I'm thinking of taking a picture of very high resolution to try to examine the processor but would need something where I compare . At the moment I 'm thinking things that go less intrusive methods to high-risk things (not compensated ) .

You may have cut tracks, you have some different capacitor possessing eeprom memory and there is nothing to do , the truth is I do not know, for now I will try to look for differences .

Slv7 : efuses electronic fuses you mean ?

can not find the thread @ Khenglish was reached to try something ?

fatboyslimerr : pencil mod is a masterpiece, and create a track that supports high temperatures in a delicate and confined space ? yet I still marveling at these things.

• 1 month later...

I do have noob question here. Is there any difference between i7-920XM ES and i7-920XM SLBLW (Or also called OEM version?)

Based on my study SLBLW is expensive compare to ES version. Does SLBLW compatible with my current m15x? (Imho there is NO problem) Maybe @svl7 or @Khenglish can give quick and firm answer about this?

Thanks in advance :D

[h=1][/h]

I only used ES 920xm so far, and they all overclocked really well. Some are a bit better than others, but that's the same story with the OEMs. Of course there might be earlier ES steppings than the one I used (can't remember what mine was called, possibly Q3B8) which could perform worse... all I know is that the stepping I had performed well, not only for me but also for others.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only used ES 920xm so far, and they all overclocked really well. Some are a bit better than others, but that's the same story with the OEMs. Of course there might be earlier ES steppings than the one I used (can't remember what mine was called, possibly Q3B8) which could perform worse... all I know is that the stepping I had performed well, not only for me but also for others.

Thanks mate for the info! I can get 920XM SLBLW around $240 brand new. That amount of money is 'big' to spend on my ancient m15x :too_sad:

@svl7 Need your help again before i get this cpu. The seller just told me "You cannot overclock this". Does this something to do on "locked" and "unlock" version? The OEM SLBLW cannot be oc even by using the multiplier? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure it can if it's really a 920XM. By the way, I have a 920xm ES here that I could sell for about $210 I guess. It actually belongs to @Conker. Maybe he'll let it go for less :P

Ohh i just understand the warranty for 30 days will be gone if they found the damage due to OC. You are evil @svl7 by telling me that cpu is $210 haha! Not sure whether that price include shipping or not :P

Well they could not find out this. Also this cpu is meant for overclocking, it's an extreme edition after all. Anyway... I need to check with Conkers, it's his CPU after all, just been trying to sell it for him.

It's the CPU I used for this benchmark her: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/1023-official-m15x-benchmarking-thread.html#post84162

Decent performer, that was with more volts but works fine at stock volt as well. At stock I got 24-25x on all cores, depending on the application. That's about what you can expect from any 920xm.

@svl7 I second you on they cannot find out the damage due to oc hehe. Its an honor if i get that cpu from you lol. I'm still waiting the final price from the seller. The only diff are they sell the new item and its OEM. Just let me know what Conker output later if he want to sell it. I also can PM him if further discussion needed. Thanks mate :)

Hehe @svl7 right. Will PM him once i get the final price from seller. 920XM is great CPU after all. Can join your benchmarking party once i use the powerful CPU lol. I also getting spare board for m15x , who knows if i f*cked up the board later haha!

• 3 weeks later...

It is a great CPU and thanks to SVL7 and his great overvolting guide; easy to OV too. Currently I run 3.7-4ghz on mine with so far no ill effect. You must improve the cooling drastically however before doing so though.

The M15x cooling can handle quite well the OC SVL7 mentions above. You should be able to run 24x all day even in Prime 95 if you keep your vents clean and the laptop elevated so you maintain decent airflow.

As for the mainboard you need not worry. At 25x I often do video encoding work sometimes with back to back projects taking 10 hours or more. Even with temperatures at 90C the CPU or laptop haven't skipped a beat.

Very robust CPU indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1