Unlocked Alienware M17x-R2 Bios Version 1 Released!

Brian

• Founder
Hey Stamatisx - one question with the reg tweak - does your turbo multi scale depending on the amount of cores used as well? or is it only scaling to the value for 4 cores?

I would like to keep my 4ghz+ single core performance as well as the higher multi core performance.

-Ash

It will always scale all 4 and won't apply to a single core alone.

OK, Im trying to do what Stama is doing. I have the reg tweak applied, and all the settings the same in my throttlestop.

I am only getting a 9x multi on my 920x. WTF is going on?

-Ash

EDIT:

NVM, I rebooted throttlestop and all good. That shit is weird...

EDIT EDIT:

Alrighty guys, thanks to Stama I have discovered something totally jawesome. Its not 100% what I want, but good enough for now.

Take a look:

ij7N7a.jpg

I have a 9 multi at idle, automatically controlled via power saver - but its on a hair trigger. As soon as load reaches the level where hard disk access normally begins, throttlestop kicks it up to 24.

So when Im idle at the desktop, or doing other non hd-intensive stuff, it runs cool and quiet at 1200mhzish. When the hard disk access ramps up throttlestop kicks in and gives me my full hard disk speed.

All you need to do is use the power saving feature, and set it to the exact c0% that is used when hard disk access occurs - for me this was 13 (divisble by 8 threads).

So there you have it, happy Ash with his sandforce HDD.

-Ash

Edited by Ashtefere
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

That's going to be one aspect I plan to cover with the R3 review vs R2. It won't likely be in the R2's favor. Stam, ship me an ssd? lol

• 3 months later...

But V2 is still a work in progress:

Hi everyone' date='This is still being developed for a more stable version two and we haven't finished deciding the best features to add and remove for version two. Please have a bit more patience as we explore our options furhter.Thanks,TheWiz[/quote']Still nothing for the M17x though :(
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest bifnewman
But V2 is still a work in progress: Still nothing for the M17x though :(

referring to the R1? i thought they had an unlocked bios for that too.

Yes, well, they used it to learn how to crack Phoenix BIOS, and released a version with the hidden options revealed but none of them when changed did anything.There were interesting stuff in there.

Because it was useless they took it down from the site, erased the whole thread and nothing anymore even though he promised he'll get into it.

I would love to know the full potential of this machine, it's not buggy as a few used to complain and most of the things were fixed.

I'm happy they were able to do it for the R2 though.

Edited by katalin_2003
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 6 years later...
  • 4 years later...