Increase ram does it matter what brand? y510p

dvs6

I notice that y510p has samsung brand ram. i want to either grab an 8 gb to add to my system. Does it even matter what brand or timing as long as its pc 12800 or is this laptop picky?

thanks

My y510p has 2x4GB Samsung.

I can also recommend G.Skill!

The low voltage ist important. If the voltage ist to high, it's possibly the laptop won't start and you have to increase voltage in Bios.

I had this problem with my PC. In Bios was set 1,5V and my G.Skill had 2.0V.

My y510p has 2x4GB Samsung.

I can also recommend G.Skill!

The low voltage ist important. If the voltage ist to high, it's possibly the laptop won't start and you have to increase voltage in Bios.

I had this problem with my PC. In Bios was set 1,5V and my G.Skill had 2.0V.

Sorry by Intel Haswell chips are not designed to run voltage higher than 1.35 on memory. Running 1.5 volt memory is going to put a lot of strain on the CPU (where the memory controller is located) so I wouldn't recommend it. It will also produce more heat which is already a concern for these laptops. I tried booting with 1.5 volt ram just to see what would happen and it wouldn't even turn on.

Tom's says that Mobile Intel Haswell doesn't even support 1.5v ram so that could be why mine wouldn't boot:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/so-dimm-memory-performance,3674.html

Adding new RAM is always good, but it will always be safer to make sure that you get matching sticks, for example a 16 GB kit with two 8GB modules of the same brand (better yet in the same package). As far as RAM that has been rated at higher MHz, you won't see a noticeable difference on an Intel system, at least that's my experience - I have a desktop with 8GB 2400 MHz RAM and a Lenovo Y500 laptop with 8GB 1600 MHz RAM using the same hard drive image - they both boot at nearly identical times. Hope I helped answer your question.

First off I'd like to clarify what you're trying to achieve- Are you wanting to add a singular 8gb stick to get to 16gb? If so you're out of luck. Your current config is 2X4gb, so replacing one would just get you a mismatched 12gb. I agree with the recommendation of Crucial memory. Their memory and SSDs have worked extremely well for me in the various systems that I've put them into. Samsung is also a reputable brand, but if you can go with Crucial I'd do it.

First off I'd like to clarify what you're trying to achieve- Are you wanting to add a singular 8gb stick to get to 16gb? If so you're out of luck. Your current config is 2X4gb, so replacing one would just get you a mismatched 12gb. I agree with the recommendation of Crucial memory. Their memory and SSDs have worked extremely well for me in the various systems that I've put them into. Samsung is also a reputable brand, but if you can go with Crucial I'd do it.

On the other two y510p i had it was single stick of 8 gb. (Scandinavian countries)