How hot does the y510p get during gaming?

xxblazerxx1

It is known to get a bit on the hot side, especially after a bit of use and the accumulation of dust.

I would look for a good laptop cooler, something like a Cooler Master Notepal x3 or the ZM-NC1000

The way you game plays a role.

If you are wondering what the core temperatures are, mine do not get above 90 degrees Celcius after heavy duty gaming. They average around 80.

Of course, the area around the vents get very warm, enough to turn ice water into tepid water for a short period of time as if it sat over night.

As for comfort, the keyboard and palm rests do not get warm.

I highly recommend you upgrade to an SSD because they do not get as warm as an HDD. I noticed when I first bought this, the stock HDD would get warm, but not enough to become the slightest issue. When I upgraded to an SSD, the palm rest area doesn't get warm during long gaming sessions.

Hope this helps!

It's not an issue for me, although I manually disable Intel Turbo Boost. After over an hour of playing Skyrim, my CPU and GPUs are at mid 60*C.

To disable Turbo Boost, you can use ThrottleStop, but there is a quicker way without apps needed:

-Click on the Battery Charging icon in the system tray, select "More power options"

-In the Power Options window, click on "Change plan settings"

-On the Edit Plan Settings window, click on "Change advanced power settings"

-In Advanced settings window, scroll down until you see "Processor power management" in the list, expand it and expand "Maximum processor state"

-For "Maximum processor state" option and "Plugged in", set the percentage to 99%.

This will make it so the CPU never overclock itself. I never have issues with heat after doing this.

I've played AC IV for 2 hours on highest settings. I didn't watch the temps, but it becomes quite warm^^. And my y510p ist new, so there no dust inside so far.

I always take off the acumulator and put a litte package for that. So that the NB is two finger's breadth above the ground.

But i would also recommend to buy a cooler ;)

Specs:

i7 - 4700mq; gt755m sli

Oh, thanks for the replies. Bought myself the laptop and it's running great. Playing AC III and temps seems to run around mid 70s without a cooler. Though I'll try that turbo boost method if it does get any hotter. Question though, is it normal for the gpu to crash (Getting the kernel is not responding and has recovered issue)? Trying to decide whether I should get a replacement or not since there doesn't seem to be a solid way to fix it. Just gets annoying since it freezes the laptop randomly.

I am running SLI with Windows 7 and Kubuntu 14.04 with latest nVidia drivers, there is no freezing or crashing. Maybe you should look into it and get a replacement while you still can.

I also notice with the unlocked bios it allow to disable turbo boost and is disabled by default. My Y510p run really cool with it disabled, I have yet to see either of the CPU or GPUs getting to 70*C.

sent via tapatalk

I have a Y500 with an i7 3630QM and a single Gt 750M. I am able to overclock the 750M by 135 MHz core and 500 MHz Memory (effective: 1189 MHz core, 6000 MHz memory) Without going over 78 Celcius (without cooling pad) and slightly lower (like 74-ish) with a cooling pad. However when I overclock the PUG that high, the CPU no longer boosts to 3.2 GHz and stays at 2.4 GHz due to thermals. I know that 78 C is kind of high, but I'm OK with it since I haven't replace the thermal paste or added any pieces to the heatsink yet.

I do not believe it is normal for it to be crashing. After running crysis 3 on high settings at 1920*1080 for about an hour my 510p gets hot, but it hasn't gotten hot enough to trigger safeties or just crash outright. I'd advise that you look into getting a replacement and/or update all your GPU/CPU related drivers.

I do not believe it is normal for it to be crashing. After running crysis 3 on high settings at 1920*1080 for about an hour my 510p gets hot, but it hasn't gotten hot enough to trigger safeties or just crash outright. I'd advise that you look into getting a replacement and/or update all your GPU/CPU related drivers.

Yeah, I'm planning to get to replaced. Strangely, I don't think it was the temperature that was making it crash, since it crashed several times at around 55 C. Thanks everyone for the input though, hopefully my replacement works out just fine, the 'defective' one didn't really heat up as much so I'm hoping it'll keep at around that temperature without all the crashing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a y510P with dual graphics cards. I dont play many video intensive games though. But just working on it I notice that the heat on the left side of the laptop is much higher than the right side. The graphics card on the ultra bay is on the right hand side. Is this common?

I have a y510P with dual graphics cards. I dont play many video intensive games though. But just working on it I notice that the heat on the left side of the laptop is much higher than the right side. The graphics card on the ultra bay is on the right hand side. Is this common?

Yes, it is common. Ultrabay card usually doing nothing during normal use and since CPU and GPU located on the left side of the laptop it gets warm.

mine goes to 90-something on the ultrabay GPU :( should i get this replaced?
You should really just REPASTE it, or ask someone who can do it for you!

This is a very common issue with the ultrabay GPUs, Lenovo's products seem to be hit or miss all around. My 2nd GPU hardly ever goes above 80, but high 90s are reported by many users. If you are looking to repaste the GPU make sure you know what you are doing, as a poor paste job will most likely make things even worse. As Darkworld suggested have someone else who has knowledge do it for you if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself.

What games did you bot? I used to bot a few games, most of which inevitably got the ban hammer.

As far as my Y510P temps, I've always stayed well below T Junction.

I really want to get a cooling pad, mostly so my laptop will stop sucking sheets when I have it on the bed watching a movie.

I have a Y410p, and there's some pretty darn hot air blowing from the vent after 30 minutes or so playing something like Civ 5 with the settings maxed. The area around the touchpad/below the keyboard never gets too warm though, so I guess the vent is just doing it's job well. That is while playing on a hard surface, however, and the laptop feet provide a bit room for air to move underneath.

Worth nothing, I DID just have to send my laptop in for repair when it suddenly died from a complete power failure. Something on the main board apparently blew, and I was lying with a blanket and the laptop on top, though I've done similarly for longer periods and the laptop's been hotter. Yet I suspect something got too hot and caused the blow -_-

Just throwing it out there. Keep it on something hard and you should be fine.

I have the Y510p with the GT755M chipset. Running Prime95 CPU stress test it will eventually get hot enough to start some CPU throttling. The fix I did was to stick some furniture felt pads to the back of the laptop to elevate it just a little more for better airflow and then I used Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility to undervolt the CPU - no more CPU heat issues for me!