Hard drive not detected anywhere at all ever

Soeh

Yeah, so, I have a brand new 1TB Western Digital Black (WD1003FZEX) which appears completely undetectable. I was formatting it to create a usable volume and due to circumstances I'd rather not get into, the computer was shut down. Now it spins and makes noises like it's trying really hard to read or write something, as hard drives do, but still doesn't show up anywere, including BIOS and Computer Management: Storage.

Things I've tried: Google. Wasn't very helpful this time, surprisingly... I tried turning it off and then on again, tried another SATA cable, tried updating Intel Rapid Storage Technology, tried plugging it into an external hard drive toaster and reading it on another computer through eSATA (the toaster and port definitely work, I used another hard drive and it ran just fine), tried to update BIOS on my board but apparently NONE of the updates from the site work cause they aren't EFIs...

Anyway, it's brand new, so if I have to I'll return it. I really don't want to, especially since I already had to wait for a return on a Phantom 410 that came in with a huge dent in it. Just hoping someone here has a quick fix, both for the sake of time and knowledge. I suspect the file system is corrupt and replacing the board on the drive would do the trick, but... don't have one, obviously. : / Regardless, thanks for the read.

From what I have read in your above post - The drive does not appear in the bios? Try plugging into another Sata connector on the motherboard. Or try placing the drive into a external drive chassis. If those don't produce any results I would say the harddrive motherboard is faulty.

Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

you might want to try reading it from a linux distro and seeing if you can use gparted to rewrite the partition table

if that does work out make sure you rewrite it as msdos and not gpt since non-uefi windows can't read off gpt

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you've fixed/RMA'd it yet but did you check if the drive was spinning? Could you feel any vibration coming from the drive? Then in the BIOS do you have SATA configured as AHCI or IDE? :) If it shows up in the BIOS then go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager and hit scan for plug and play devices. Then you can go into Disk management and it should ask you to configure the HDD as either MBR or GPD, I suggest GPD if you're not going to use it with an OS prior to Win Vista :)