GT70 0NE 3610qm throttling for no apparent reason... Please help

marshalmellow

Hello Techinferno! I'm relatively new to these forums, but so far they've already helped me a ton. So here's my problem. For some reason, it seems whenever my GTX 680m 4GB is drawing a decent amount of power, my CPU throttles down to 1.2GHz for no apparent reason. I've spent the last 2 months trying to figure out the problem and that's what I've figured out thus far. When running prime95, my CPU will run at a steady 3.1GHz as it should and will slowly climb to only 75c with the turbo fan on (Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is magical, hit 95c with stock paste). However, as soon as I start a furmark stress test, boom. Down to 1.2GHz instantly. And no matter what I do with throttlestop, I can't seem to change it at all. Now, when I put my GTX680m to minimum speeds in MSI afterburner, which is 405MHz/1300MHz (using unlocked BIOS) my CPU will boost up to anywhere between 2.3Ghz to 3.1GHz and bounce in between. I could be very wrong, but it seems like my system is not receiving enough power or something. This happens in games as well. For example, in BF4, my CPU will be chugging along at 3.1GHz and then boom, 1.2GHz and about 20FPS. I've found a temporary fix (well, bandage) using throttlestop. If I turn off turbo boost, I will stay at 2.3GHz and will not throttle at all, however I won't boost passed that either which is still a bit of a bottleneck for my 680m. This does not work with Prime95+Furmark for some reason. I guess it draws too much power, where in BF4, 3.1GHz is too much and 2.3GHz is okay. I read the tomshardware review of the GT70 Dragon Edition 2. They said this "We observed the power supply pulling 179 W from the wall. This is not what we were expecting. Generously assuming 90% efficiency, 179 W at the wall is 162 W to the machine. With the CPU rated for 57 W, the overclocked GPU at 100 W, and the rest of the components pulling 10 W or more, the GT70 should be registering a little more than what we measured. The day after I wrapped this story up, MSI sent us an updated BIOS for the GT70 Dragon Edition 2, changing the power consumption characteristics of the machine and increasing performance. Now the system pulls up to 194 W from the wall during games. Strangely, with a full synthetic CPU and GPU load, it only pulls 187, suggesting something is throttling back a bit." Could I be experiencing a similar issue? I am running the modded GT70 0NE BIOS and the unlocked MSI GTX680m BIOS at stock voltage from this website. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and help!

Can anyone help me with the procedure? Also, I have the MSI GT70 unlocked BIOS. Would it still be okay?

Download Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-1.4.5.exe and select your USB pen drive - choose MS-DOS at "create a bootable disk using" - click start - done!

Download the BETA EC for you system, connect both battery and PSU.

Put the files on the USB stick reboot and choose USB stick from boot menu (F11) type ECALL and wait until it's done, remove all power sources and reconnect them. DONE!

Hahaha! I just checked this post about 20 minutes ago to see if anyone replied. Since then I've been digging around. For some reason I was trying to execute the .exe file which obviously wasn't working. After doing some research I figured out that I just needed to type in ECALL.bat and was good to go. Running at 1046MHz/5.2GBps and a SOLID, STEADY AND SEXY 3.3GHZ (31x106.5MHz overclock) WITH PRIME 95 AND FURMARK! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO! No constant throttles anymore! I can actually play games! This is WONDERFUL. Thank you for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sweet jesus this is glorious. My Combined score in 3dmark11 isn't 3000 anymore!

Hahaha! I just checked this post about 20 minutes ago to see if anyone replied. Since then I've been digging around. For some reason I was trying to execute the .exe file which obviously wasn't working. After doing some research I figured out that I just needed to type in ECALL.bat and was good to go. Running at 1046MHz/5.2GBps and a SOLID, STEADY AND SEXY 3.3GHZ (31x106.5MHz overclock) WITH PRIME 95 AND FURMARK! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO! No constant throttles anymore! I can actually play games! This is WONDERFUL. Thank you for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sweet jesus this is glorious. My Combined score in 3dmark11 isn't 3000 anymore!

Just don't run Furmark, unless you want to destroy your card..

• 4 weeks later...