Swapped an Intel 7260 into my Y510P, now it won't sleep. Ideas?

Engee

Tired of the Intel Centrino 2230's poor performance, I decided to upgrade. I followed the standard procedure of flashing the modified BIOS (with svl7's great tool! Thanks!) with the whitelist removed, swapped the cards, and booted up. No issues encountered and my wifi connection was much more stable and faster. Great, right? Yes! That is... until I tried to put my laptop to sleep later that night. Right after it gets to sleep, it wakes right back up.

I've done a good bit of research and it seems that other people who performed the same upgrade are suffering from it as well. I've attempted all of the "fixes" I've seen but nothing has help. So, I'm turning to you more experienced people! To make it a bit easier, I'll include the results from some testing that I've seen suggested already.

BIOS version: 1.09

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Model: 7260HMW

Driver version: 16.10.0.5

Bluetooth driver version: 3.1.1311.400

Someone suggested using this command to see if there was anything "weird". Doesn't look so.

C:\>powercfg requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

Someone suggested removing all other devices that can wake the system so I can rule them out in my tests.

C:\>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
HID Keyboard Device

Someone suggested that this command may show what device caused the wake. Unfortunately, it didn't.

C:\>powercfg /lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0

Event viewer right after sleep attempted.

[U]Information    3/10/2014 11:53:22 AM    Power-Troubleshooter[/U]
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎10T15:53:07.244058500Z
Wake Time: ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎10T15:53:21.053838700Z

Wake Source: Unknown

[U]Information 3/10/2014 11:53:18 AM BTHUSB[/U]
Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during startup.

[U]Information 3/10/2014 11:53:17 AM Kernel-Power[/U]
Firmware S3 times. ResumeCount: 1, FullResume: 385, AverageResume: 385

[U]Information 3/10/2014 11:53:17 AM Kernel-General[/U]
The system time has changed to ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎10T15:53:17.500000000Z from ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎10T15:53:14.537849800Z.

Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.

[U]Information 3/10/2014 11:53:12 AM Kernel-Power[/U]
The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: Application API

Sorry for such a long, boring post but I figured that I'd try to provide as much info as possible. Any other tests I should run? I'd love to be able to sleep my laptop again...

Have you checked the system log for other, seemingly unconnected irregularities that might exist?

I am asking, because it is often the last thing I try when fixing a problem, for two reasons. 1. I forget about the system log. 2. I do not have to try anything else, the fix becomes clear.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have you checked the system log for other, seemingly unconnected irregularities that might exist?

I am asking, because it is often the last thing I try when fixing a problem, for two reasons. 1. I forget about the system log. 2. I do not have to try anything else, the fix becomes clear.

Nothing looks too out of the ordinary. I may have to switch back to the 2230 and compare system logs...

I remember when i first got my Y510p i was running into this issue anytime the wifi card was being used (connected to a network) it would not allow the laptop to sleep. I was trying a few things and ended up giving up and making sure i closed the lid as that was the only way it stayed sleeping. Then out of the blue i had walked away for a period of time and noticed when i came back the computer had gone to sleep and was acting normal. I ended up buying an SSD for the computer and swapped it out installed a fresh windows 8 install and now notice the issue has returned and since i don't know what caused it to fix it before i don't know now. I have the Intel n 7260 that came with the laptop and had did the whitelist mod to be able to install the same card you have (should be getting it next week) but now face the same problem with the computer not sleeping again. As i know since it was happening when i first got the computer it has nothing to do with the mod nor the card itself (as i think, tested another card i have in house from another laptop) and problem was still there. Once i do get the new wifi card i will start troubleshooting it again and checking what is up and will go through all the stuff i know if i do find something i will update here.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried turning off the 'Allow this device to wake the computer ' mode in the network card power management settings? If that doesn't work their are more settings under network devices for waking the computer. Sometimes this prevents a computer from sleeping.

• 4 weeks later...