[Mod] Alienhead color change

angerthosenear

I'm not sure what models this all applies to but:

The alienhead on the back of the LCD is always white. It leeches of the LCD backlight and there is not remotely enough space to allow for a RGB system. Well, there might be, but it would be super tight tolerance and not for this particular system.

I have some light gel sample thing for stage lighting. These allow an adequate amount of light through while changing the color of said light. One thing I love about this company is the overly cheesy names:

Simply Mauvelous, Purplexed, Kablueie, Bluetylicious, Putting Green, Rust Assured, Just Peachy, Peach My Interest, Salmon"illa", Pink Pong, Pinkerbell.

I personally used Bodacious Blueberry for this mod.

Procedure::

1. Rip off front plastic bezel. Start in an upper corner and work your way around. Pretty easy

OmKOfuT.jpg

(Rider is watching you)

2. Pick your color samples:

a3y9On5.jpg

3. I picked Bodacious Blueberry. Suigintou seems to like it as well.

Awvq5Qm.jpg

4. Unscrew the LCD and make sure to pull away your webcam cable (it's stuck to the back of the LCD). Lay it down on your keyboard. You can test your colors now:

8U0HR1Y.jpg

Assortment of colors (Mauvelous, Neon Yellow, Diva Red, Bodacious Blueberry, Putting Green)

gjEPgOt.jpg

5. Determine how big to cut, I found out after my first cut, it's easier to just cram the light gel behind the silver reflective stuff, a dull xacto blade helps here:

amIQDZt.jpg

6. Cut (this is too large to install in a easy manner, it ends up being about half this size - only need to stretch in the opening in one dimension either vertically too tall or horizontally too tall.):

7mVCGDh.jpg

7. Cram it in. The gel sticks a few mm over the top and bottom and is near flush on the left and right sides (in relation to the silver cut out):

rL2FVUD.jpg

8. Use a flashlight to test:

fc8ghNT.jpg

9. Slap it back together:

neG9ygy.jpg

10. Enjoy.

---

Pretty simple and quick mod. I did this spur of the moment while checking the pins on the LVDS cable to see if I could put a 1080p panel in here. It's a 40-pin 2ch 6bit LVDS connection. All 1080p panels that can fit in the m14x are 13.1" or smaller and 30pin LVDS. So a no go there.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 8 months later...