Replacing standard 60hz lcd monitor with a 120Hz 3D on p370sm

sl44n3sh

I would like to know if anyone has made ​​this change, or at least knows if it is possible.

The P370SM equipped with a LCD 17.3 "(CMO1720) WUXGA 1920x1080 @ 60Hz LED 40-pin connector with bottom left.

(I thought it could be replaced with lcd P370SM3 but the connector on P370SM3 is a 50 pin, not 40)

By browsing on the net, I found this monitor (LTN173HT02-T02) is a 120Hz 3D 17.3 "WUXGA 1920x1080 60Hz LED with 40-pin connector bottom left

So the type of connector is the same....

Do you think it works?:01:

I checked the repair manual, but I haven't found a solution....I am not very experienced in that... :55_003:

According to the service manuals, the P370SM3 uses the LG LP173WF2-TPB1, which is an 50-pin eDP panel.

The P370SM uses any of these: AUO B173HW01 V4, AUO B173HW01 V5, AUO B173HW02 V1, CHIMEI N173HGE-L11, CHIMEI N173HGE-L21, LG LP173WF1-TLB3, which are all 2-channel 40-pin LVDS panels.

You will obviously need the new eDP cable from your reseller (ask for "Wire cable (EDP) for LG 3D panel to M/B(HL/JAE CON:FI-VHP50) P370EM3 part number 6-43-P37E1-020-J")

All the information you should need for getting eDP working is on page 78 of the service manual. If you don't understand it, it would be easier for you to replace both the panel + cable and mainboard to upgrade to 120hz.

Some boards have both connector, you will have to physically check if the eDP port is present, too.

excuse my ignorance, but I found the screen (LTN173HT02-T02) is a 3d 120Hz and has the 40-pin connector as mine. looks perfect...

So ... can I just replace only the panel if the 40-pin connectors are the same?:59:

...just unplug the connector and plug it into the new panel, are both 40-pin... or not?

Sorry imanewbye:52_002:

I asked Mythlogic about this a while ago and the response was if the mobo doesn't have en eDP connector then it's a no-go, regardless of whether the LVDS connector matches or not.

Have you thought about using your P370SM as a "true" desktop replacement? Once everything I ordered gets here, I plan on hooking it to an external 144 Hz LCD via the Thunderbolt port (mini-DP to DP cable), attaching some speakers, and adding an external keyboard so it will truly live up to its name.

Naah.. for me, laptop, even if powerful, never replace a desktop. For the same price the desktop is much more powerful!

...watching motherboard under the keyboard I found a connector labeled "3d ir emitter"

I think, if there is a predisposition for the 3d ir emitter, I believe that it is possible to put a 3d lcd, otherwise there would not be the connector, right?

Ok so that screen is from a Samsung Series 7 3D Laptop.

Now I don't have a spec sheet on that particular monitor. However, the laptop itself came with AMD graphics card options, which by that theory SHOULD make it compatible with the Non 3D P370.

Note the following restrictions may apply:

1) It might only work in 60Hz mode, not all the way to 120Hz (Don't know till you try)

2) It won't be recognized as a 3D Vision capable screen and so trying to use it as a "3D" monitor won't work

But yea buy one, plug it in and give it a shot =)

clear!

My intention was to install a 120 Hz, in order to oveclock frequency up to 100Hz or 120Hz (with CRU) without damage to the monitor, im not interested in the 3d functions..

I think overclocking a standard 60Hz to 80/90Hz is more dangerous than overclock a 3d 120Hz monitor (which normally works 60Hz, but it has the ability to get to 120Hz) and overclock to 100/120Hz with CRU ( but remaining into the limits of the monitor 3d)

That is just what I think, then maybe the risk overclocking could remain the same... :62:

(...........or, as correctly said MYTHLOGIC , may not operate at that frequency ) :too_sad:

So due to the magic of international commerce... we got our hands on one of these screens..

Doesn't work on the switchable graphics models (P150, P170, etc)

Non-switchable models (P370 / P570) are coming soon, mostly once we get some of the refreshes in... wait I didn't say that...... :Banane12:

So due to the magic of international commerce... we got our hands on one of these screens..

Doesn't work on the switchable graphics models (P150, P170, etc)

Non-switchable models (P370 / P570) are coming soon, mostly once we get some of the refreshes in... wait I didn't say that...... :Banane12:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 con Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone have an update on this? I have a P375SM that I just bought a 120hz screen for (from the P370SM3).

I finally found the part # I need (which led me to this thread), but we will see where this goes!

50pin lvds-

6-43-P37E1-020-J

Thanks.

Anyone have an update on this? I have a P375SM that I just bought a 120hz screen for (from the P370SM3).

I finally found the part # I need (which led me to this thread), but we will see where this goes!

50pin lvds-

6-43-P37E1-020-J

Thanks.

Hi lm1z! This cable is eDP, not LVDS! You must be fine! What are you waiting for? Disassemble your lappy and take a look if there is an eDP port soldered near LVDS port!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread on this one with some of my own findings about this cable.

I've actually been trying for a few months to track down a lead on this eDP cable as I have a 120Hz monitor, but need the cable in order to connect it to my P377SM-A (the eDP port is there and is fully functional). Sadly, I haven't been able to track down anyone (OEM/ODM/Reseller) that has any in stock (Eurocom has them listed for sale on their site for a ludicrous 175 dollars, but when I got in touch with them, they said they didn't have any and weren't expecting any more to arrive. Rj Tech said they could get them, charged me, put the part on back order, and 4 weeks later told me the cable wasn't in the shipment they had sent to them and that they didn't know where the cable was and didn't seem interested in trying to hunt down it's status, but instead refunded me and told me they're no longer available with no plans to resupply. Sager/Xotic won't even talk to me as I didn't purchase my machine through them and refuse to sell me parts) and finding information on this cable is difficult at best.

I have been able to get some data and information though that may be helpful for someone looking to hunt this thing down or just looking for current data.

Apparently the connector this cable uses on the LCD side (JAE FI-VHP50CL-A-R3000) has been EOL'd by the OEM as of December 2015 and is no longer in production which makes this cable an endangered species. This is (I'm sure) the reason why it's been so difficult to get ahold of one. This connector is also non-standard and wasn't very popular in general which may have attributed to closing the fab lines on it.

The LVDS/eDP cable that's needed (6-43-P37E1-020-J) also doesn't use all 50 pins, but rather 30 even on the LCD side (some pins aren't used at all) and Clevo looks to have gone to great pains to make it work to begin with (it's a pain to support, so it would be the first thing they drop).

So, that leaves someone who wants to get ahold of one with limited options:

1.) Reach out to a manufacturing facility that specializes in LVDS/eDP fabs and request one be made. There are multiple challenges with this however. Most facilities won't give you the time of day unless you're ordering in bulk (which makes sense. If they did one off spins all the time, the cost of calibrating the machines would far exceed what they're getting from the user), can back the request with company verification (I had to use my work email for them to even respond to me), and you need the line drawings of the cable including the pin out guides, length, cable gauge, shielding, EMI protection, etc.

2.) Make a deal with the Devil and somehow magically conjure one out of the Ether.

It's a much better idea to go with option 1, or if you can get ahold of one of these cables through a sales channel, that would be the absolute best way (if you can or know of a reseller that still has these, please let me know!)

Through my inquiries though, I was able to get ahold of some data that may be pertinent in the event you wanted to have one manufactured. I've attached the line/CAD drawings of this LVDS cable that gives detailed breakdowns of the wiring/pins/materials needed to make one. Hopefully some of this information will be of use to someone who's looking into upgrading their display and if any one knows of any reseller that has any on hand, feel free to let me know as I'm interested in purchasing one (just not at 175 dollars for a cable)!

Thanks!

6-43-P37E1-020-J.zip

• 10 months later...
On 25.12.2015 at 8:46 PM, jshackley said:

The United States. Idaho to be specific.

I'd be interested in a combination offer as well (assuming the panel is the LG LP173WF2)

Feel free to PM me or post a link to your order details!

Thanks!

Hello Guys,

I want to ask abut that deal, so U buyed and replaced that 120hz screen?

Anyone have replaced 60hz screen to 120hz in 370em with succes? 

• 3 months later...

Hey,

I just did this upgrade today for my Clevo P370SM-A , bought a LP173WF2 (TP)(A1) glossy panel from ebay, total was 80€ shipped to Finland. Its from a Dell Alienware m17x R4 machine disassembled, in a mint condition. Dell product number is 0C30PY.

eDP cable i bought from CEG, ebay, LG 3D EDP CABLE, 6-43-P1701-010-JD. Its from a Clevo P170HM3 machine. It was too long for P370SM-A, but the connectors are the same. Managed to fold the extra long cable under the palmrest ok. 30€ + shipping

Works like a charm, have to say its worth it, so much better display with 120hz than the original panel.

There's a film about this upgrade for P377SM-A, screws were almost the same in P370SM-A, can use it for help.

Edited by Saltsi