[HARDWARE MODS] P370SM GPU/CPU Improve Cooling Mod

sl44n3sh

I was removing the cooling system for cleaning and noticed a hole between the fan and the radiator on the GPU # 1 that disperses the air flow.

It can solve easily by applying a trimming in PVC, or any other material, closing the hole, avoiding the dispersion of air. (Gain -4 ° C)

post-23518-14494997239767_thumb.jpg

Before

post-23518-14494997240064_thumb.jpg

After

I also applied the heat sink directly on the block of the GPU and CPU.

post-23518-14494997240369_thumb.jpg

CPU (gain -2°C)

post-23518-14494997241044_thumb.jpg

GPU (gain -3°C)

I also modified the backcover, by increasing the air flow (Gain -2 ° C)

post-23518-14494997240694_thumb.jpg

Have Fun!! :not_ripe::not_ripe::not_ripe:

• Thumbs Up 2

Dang, that is one sweet back cover. Can you share what materials you used to make the PVC trim as well as the cover?

Also, maybe have a look at my thread on NBR? P370EM heatsink fits P370SM

Basically, I realized that the P370EM CPU heatsink would do a much better job simply it had 3 heatpipes, and used the slave GPU fan to assist in cooling. Turns out the P370EM heatsinks fit the P370SM just fine. I managed to cut CPU temps by 10C, but that got transferred entirely to the slave 780M because it now runs 9C higher.

If only there was a way to introduce a 3rd heatpipe from the CPU heatsink and fuse it to the 780M heatsink, so the CPU and slave GPU heatsinks are connected by a bridging heatpipe. Then we might be able to have the best of both worlds. I'm actually ok with +5C on slave GPU as long as it's -10C on the CPU.

Sweet! :)

Looks very clean!

Do you have a picture of how you fixed the fan grills on the inside?

They were simply fixed with super glue

I just had to make a change on the central grill (CPU), because the added thickness was going to touch the fan and stopping it. I solved it using a file, and I reduced the thickness of the cover.

post-23518-14494997242233_thumb.jpg

Rear Back cover

post-23518-1449499724258_thumb.jpg

Zoom Detail

post-23518-14494997242928_thumb.jpg

Internal

- - - Updated - - -

Dang, that is one sweet back cover. Can you share what materials you used to make the PVC trim as well as the cover?

Also, maybe have a look at my thread on NBR? P370EM heatsink fits P370SM

Basically, I realized that the P370EM CPU heatsink would do a much better job simply it had 3 heatpipes, and used the slave GPU fan to assist in cooling. Turns out the P370EM heatsinks fit the P370SM just fine. I managed to cut CPU temps by 10C, but that got transferred entirely to the slave 780M because it now runs 9C higher.

If only there was a way to introduce a 3rd heatpipe from the CPU heatsink and fuse it to the 780M heatsink, so the CPU and slave GPU heatsinks are connected by a bridging heatpipe. Then we might be able to have the best of both worlds. I'm actually ok with +5C on slave GPU as long as it's -10C on the CPU.

Yeah.. It would be a nice mod!

Clevo (or one of the heroes here) should seriously consider making a triple pipe CPU heatsink. I mean the 4900MQ at 4.2GHz can pull over 100W when running XTU bench. Even with the bottom cover off, using the P370EM CPU heatsink (which actually has 3 pipes) and forcing max fans I can just barely get the CPU to not throttle. Temps start out good but slowly creep up to 95C or above towards the end of the XTU bench.

Just imagine how much heat the 4930MX would generate if it was to run a stable 4.5 GHz on all 4 cores. 3 heatpipes isn't optional, it's a MUST.

• Thumbs Up 1

Clevo (or one of the heroes here) should seriously consider making a triple pipe CPU heatsink. I mean the 4900MQ at 4.2GHz can pull over 100W when running XTU bench. Even with the bottom cover off, using the P370EM CPU heatsink (which actually has 3 pipes) and forcing max fans I can just barely get the CPU to not throttle. Temps start out good but slowly creep up to 95C or above towards the end of the XTU bench.

Just imagine how much heat the 4930MX would generate if it was to run a stable 4.5 GHz on all 4 cores. 3 heatpipes isn't optional, it's a MUST.

True that, plus they should start using copper as the radiator material instead of aluminium....

• 4 months later...
I was thinking about modding like this too...

But what heatsink should i use????

These or Those or This

Can someone help me out?

None of those will do anything significant besides make the laptop heavier. Some laptops are set up to pull air into the fan across components. For these laptops adding heatsinks like those will help. Clevo does not do that in favor of a higher air flow rate via directly pulling air outside the casing into the fan. There will be no airflow across the heatsinks, so while they will make the laptop heat up more slowly since more mass is being heated, your final temps will not be any better.

Spending time on die contact and airflow on the other hand can be very significant.

None of those will do anything significant besides make the laptop heavier. Some laptops are set up to pull air into the fan across components. For these laptops adding heatsinks like those will help. Clevo does not do that in favor of a higher air flow rate via directly pulling air outside the casing into the fan. There will be no airflow across the heatsinks, so while they will make the laptop heat up more slowly since more mass is being heated, your final temps will not be any better.

Spending time on die contact and airflow on the other hand can be very significant.

and how can i do this?? :D

See here.

Basically cut off the metal tabs underneath the contact plates so that you can sand them. Find a piece of glass or something else that is very flat and tape 600+ grit sandpaper to it and start sanding. You'll see the grooves in the plate slowly disappear as you sand.

If you don't want to sand then you can just increase the die pressure. This can help significantly, but not as much as sanding the contact plates flat.

• 3 months later...

Read along interesting here.

The tips you get here then you can even implement.

The grille of "sl44n3sh" has me personally but to large holes.

There are perforated sheet with much smaller holes.

But have to search long after.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are my images from modding:

post-30162-14494998782465_thumb.jpg:aluminum foils

post-30162-14494998783456_thumb.jpg Enzotech BMR-C1

post-30162-14494998784412_thumb.jpg Idle

post-30162-14494998785007_thumb.jpg

And here are the rest of the images:

post-30162-14494998785236_thumb.jpg PCH Modd

post-30162-14494998786214_thumb.jpg Enzotech BMR-C1

post-30162-14494998786834_thumb.jpg All I need. The screws for the 980m for the heatsink.One of them is lost to me. Since I had to reorder some.

size:

M1,6 X 3 mm (0,06 X 0,12 inch)

post-30162-14494998787893_thumb.jpg Notebook Cooler Aeolus Pure

It's missing the backplate mod - which is yet to come!

Very important - note downforce at GPU and CPU heatsink.

With GPU in particular.

When the CPU is not too much pressure, otherwise the CPU takes damage.

I do not take responsibility for others !!!

It also lacks the small aluminum heatsink (height 3 mm) for the CPU. Which are still delivered. Then I'll make another pure image.

And then still lacking temperatures of Furmark.

Will I even replacement delivery.

It ´s a dream - it´s a CLevo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clevo P375sm i7 4940mx - 24 GB Corsair 1600 - mSata Toshiba 128 GB - 512 GB Samsung Pro 840 - 500 GB HDD

- 2 X 980m SLI - CPU Liquid Ultra - GPU´s Prolimatech PK 3 - 120 HZ Display LG xxxx - Pure Aeolus Notebook Cooler

RAM Cook Copper - Enzotech BMR C1 - Windows 7 64 Bit

imho, those mods r completely useless unless u always have a open bottom and a laptop cooling pad.

otherwise u just put heat into the system which has never been wanted by the designer.

if you close the bottom cover, the gpu fan and cpu fan will start sucking the warm air from the cooling pads which will result in higher temperatures than befor.

so putting heatsinks on the gpu and cpu heatsink is contraproductive

• 1 month later...
imho, those mods r completely useless unless u always have a open bottom and a laptop cooling pad.

otherwise u just put heat into the system which has never been wanted by the designer.

if you close the bottom cover, the gpu fan and cpu fan will start sucking the warm air from the cooling pads which will result in higher temperatures than befor.

so putting heatsinks on the gpu and cpu heatsink is contraproductive

Exactly. Read about heatpipe physics, its very complcated (and i don't feel up to fully explain it, there are books written just for it).

Heatpipe has been designed to transfer heat between its warm end and cool end. It's often filled with a liquid that turns into a gas in high temps. Evaporation and condensation is significantly more efficient than conduction of heat through metal. Aplying heat sinks on hot end of heatpipe (and even in the middle!) you're doing two things. ONE making heatpipe working inefficient contrary to the design. TWO - make heat spread inside case (make little change in cpu/gpu temps and make all other chips inside case hotter). All in all much worse temps for everything, worse heatpipe efficiency and little better temps on cpu/gpu. Its not worth it.

If you need to make it better, you should add aditional heatpipe and make heatsink biggger (on the cool end of heatpipes).

Sorry for my last words but this STUPID ideas are comming over and over on different forums over the net for years. Asus GR forums, Clevo forums, alienware - over and over same thing.

Do not do it unless you want to completely change notebook design, open the case permanently and use external fan etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I think that the CPU cooling system of my P377SM-A is very weak.

I've got a i7-4930XM and pushing it at 4.2Ghz. Within 10s it reaches 94*C and throttles down. At the first I thought that I have some sort of multifunction, but than I've tarted to read some of the threads on the forum.

So I've made some mods that actually helped me a bit with the overheating problem.

At the first I've sealed the gap between the fan and the radiator. Than sealed all the gaps between the radiator and the air outlet. After that I've covered the lower air inlet of the fan to block the air which is hot and cames from the inner part of the notebook. And finally I've sealed the gap between all three fans and the back cover. All of that leads to one think. To make the air goes from the bottom air inlets to the outlets only.

That helped a bit. I can manage to have sustained 4GHz clock on 4 cores with 91-92*C on the CPU on Prime95.

I'll post some photos later on.

However, this is just a temporary fix. I'm planning to make my own CPU cooler.

I'll keep You pasted.

This evening I've tried something that it is similat to the 3th heat pipe. I've manage to install a radiotor with the heat pipe but I havent solder it to the orygnal copper plate o the CPU cooler. I've manage to get stable 90*C at 4Ghz nad 1.193V.

Is it posible to edit the CPU fan speed to be higer on lower temps? I can't work when all fans are turne on on max. To loud.

My second card is a K3000M and I used it onlay for PhysX so i don't wont to force the GPU2 cooler to work on max rpms.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up cutting out my vents and 3-D printing custom replacements.  Resulted in about 8-10C drops on both gpu's and cpu.  

Liquid Ultra resulted in another 7C drop across the board.

Beginning to think my heatsinks are warped.

0524161401a.jpg