Can this idea be implemented for a inspiron 7720 that doesnt have an expresscard slot

garyfl

Ive been reading about htis method as a cheaper way to not have to buy a desktop.. only its not cheap haha

is it possible though on a 7720 as it doesnt have an expresscard slot that compares to most setups ive read about.. albeit im going to have a gander in this forum now.

Yeah you would. You could always get a USB wifi card/dongle to connect via wifi if need be.

what would i need specifically ? as i dont know whether to shell out 1200 on a pc or spend 600 on a card and power supply and adapters.

what would i need specifically ? as i dont know whether to shell out 1200 on a pc or spend 600 on a card and power supply and adapters.

PE4L-PM060A

PE4L V2.1 (PCIe Adapter )

A power supply.

Video card.

You might need Setup 1.x to allocate sufficient resources:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html

so it wouldnt be as simple as the setup in this video ?

i have a wireless card that it would go in, i also have an i7 quadcore cpu and 8 gigs of ram, would i be able to easily install a 770gtx with an external power supply with ease do you think ? im going to be getting a pc build anyway so worst that will happen is if it dosent work they will go towards the components for the build later on in july.

• 1 month later...
I've seen some ExpressCard Adapters that go into the USB ports ( 2x 3.0)

If i get one of those for my Dell SE 7720, can i leave the Wireless card in? Or it doesn't work through usb?

Would not work through USB, you must use ExpressCard / mPCIe / Thunderbolt which carries native PCIe signals. USB does not have PCIe signals.

Hello. I did a bit of research before posting but i'm still a bit confused.

I came across this : PE4H ( PCIe passive adapter ver2.4 )

I know my 7720 doesn't have an ExpressCard slot, but i'm willing to take out the wifi adapter.

This is where i get confused.

What is the difference between EC2C adapter and PM3N adapter. I think my laptop needs PM3N , not EC2C. Am I wrong?

Or i can use EC2C? Not really sure how it works.

Or, can you recommend a setup for my 7720? Is PE4H a good choice, or do i need something else?

I'm planning on using a GTX560 TI or a GTX660 on it

Also, could we use a full size motherboard instead of the PE4H Adapter? (Do we have a slot to connect the PCIEMM-060A or B onto a Full size motherboard? Or that port is specific to the PE4x adapters?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.