experience with overclocking refresh-rate monitor : risks and benefits

sl44n3sh

Clevo P370SM

I overclocked lcd mod. CMO1720 (stock from 60 to 90Mhz) with the utility CRU.

The monitor works fine with this frequency (Also works at 100MHz but I did not want to risk too much) it no flickering graphical glitches.

I have read several opinions on the possible "life shortening" of the monitor overclocked.

Who says that it is dangerous, and that the risk is high, and others who reporting years and years without any problems.

Some of you have direct experience?

After overclocking, I noticed more fluidity in games, tangible difference... really, I like.... I like it very much :)

However, overclocking the refresh rate of the monitor ... the only risk is to break lcd... but no damage to the gpu, right??? :after_boom:

Thank you!

If nothing else, your GPU should be fine because it isn't directly affected by the refresh rate of your monitor. As far as whether or not this kind of overclocking is healthy in the long run is beyond me though. I would personally recommend going for a more modest 75Hz, or whatever lowest frequency is still enjoyable for you. I too would like to hear from an expert on this topic... a 30hz increase is definitely noticeable, but probably not worth significantly reducing the lifespan of your screen if that is indeed a consequent.

I've done other tests.

Indeed, increasing the rate (step +10 mhz), the fluidity increases exponentially from 60 to 80MHz.

however, from 80 to 90Mhz, the difference is much less noticeable .. (almost imperceptible)

So risking too much? worth it? :beat_shot:

For now, I'll just keep it at 80MHz while gaming, and 60 MHz in daily use .......

I don't know anything about shortening the lifespan of the screen, but I've had my external SyncMaster P2450 overclocked to 75Hz through half a year now. I just love the effect is gives, and together with the Smooth Video Project (SmoothVideo Project (SVP) - motion estimated frame interpolation with any video player and frame doubling in real-time) software, videos look stunning. Using the InterFrame script to make movies like Pacific Rim play in 75FPS makes it look glorious - We seriously need more development on the PC side of things when it comes to displaying movies. DXVA is a step in the right direction though, and it helps keeping the FPS up a lot.

One thing I have noticed though, is that the brightness of the screen takes a tiny hit when OC'ed. I don't know if it only affects this particular screen, but it's something to keep in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, 60 to 80MHz is a huge jump, but from 80 to 100 (or even 110) the perceptible difference drops off steeply.

My AUO B173HW01 v4 was able to clock up to 113 Hz from the default of 60 Hz. Used it at 95Hz for about 3 weeks with no issue until one day Homefront suddenly crapped out on me mid-game and gave me nothing but horizontal lines. I was so scared that I fried my LCD but upon lowering the refresh rate back to 60 Hz everything worked like clockwork again. However, I did notice that now I can't go beyond 110 Hz without artifacts or a black screen, whereas before the limit was 113 Hz.

So I do think you are wearing out the LCD control chip by overclocking it. If you have a backup system to use in case the LCD craps out on you, I say overclock it all your want, but if you can't afford to have any downtime on your system, then leave it alone.

In any case, I'm looking to convert my P370SM into a true desktop replacement. Down the road I'll probably order a 144 Hz external LCD, external keyboard and speakers and use it like a desktop.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, 60 to 80MHz is a huge jump, but from 80 to 100 (or even 110) the perceptible difference drops off steeply.

My AUO B173HW01 v4 was able to clock up to 113 Hz from the default of 60 Hz. Used it at 95Hz for about 3 weeks with no issue until one day Homefront suddenly crapped out on me mid-game and gave me nothing but horizontal lines. I was so scared that I fried my LCD but upon lowering the refresh rate back to 60 Hz everything worked like clockwork again. However, I did notice that now I can't go beyond 110 Hz without artifacts or a black screen, whereas before the limit was 113 Hz.

So I do think you are wearing out the LCD control chip by overclocking it. If you have a backup system to use in case the LCD craps out on you, I say overclock it all your want, but if you can't afford to have any downtime on your system, then leave it alone.

In any case, I'm looking to convert my P370SM into a true desktop replacement. Down the road I'll probably order a 144 Hz external LCD, external keyboard and speakers and use it like a desktop.

When overclocking my lcds i've noticed that when it's right on the edge of stability, sometimes you get artifacts, and sometimes you don't. I'm thinking that maybe the 113 was never fully stable. For example just last night a screen failed to display 96hz properly (it wasn't even close), but after unplugging and replugging it, it was artifact free.

• 7 months later...
Clevo P370SM

I overclocked lcd mod. CMO1720 (stock from 60 to 90Mhz) with the utility CRU.

The monitor works fine with this frequency (Also works at 100MHz but I did not want to risk too much) it no flickering graphical glitches.

I have read several opinions on the possible "life shortening" of the monitor overclocked.

Who says that it is dangerous, and that the risk is high, and others who reporting years and years without any problems.

Some of you have direct experience?

After overclocking, I noticed more fluidity in games, tangible difference... really, I like.... I like it very much :)

However, overclocking the refresh rate of the monitor ... the only risk is to break lcd... but no damage to the gpu, right??? :after_boom:

Thank you!

hey, can u please make a qiuck tutorial about how to OC cmo1720, I got msi gx70, with this screen.

pleeease

oced the internal screen of my p150hm from 60 to 90hz just fine for like 2-3 years using cru. i could go up to 93-95 hz before getting any artifacts, but kept it at 90hz just for the sake of having a nice even figure :)

@sofacylel: btw, thx for the headsup on svp, will check it out!

ps: no surprise there@no noticeable difference going upwards of 90hz, since the human eye cant really process more than 100-120 hz. sure there are always more sensible people around who even see differences upwards of that, but at 200hz+ (the latest!) it just gets superfluous, if u ask me...

oced the internal screen of my p150hm from 60 to 90hz just fine for like 2-3 years using cru. i could go up to 93-95 hz before getting any artifacts, but kept it at 90hz just for the sake of having a nice even figure :)

@sofacylel: btw, thx for the headsup on svp, will check it out!

ps: no surprise there@no noticeable difference going upwards of 90hz, since the human eye cant really process more than 100-120 hz. sure there are always more sensible people around who even see differences upwards of that, but at 200hz+ (the latest!) it just gets superfluous, if u ask me...

damn, can somebody tell me how do people goes over 160mhz pixel clock (in CRU)?

For example: when I try to OC to 75 hz (it is equal to 165+mhz pixel clock in CRU), and after I apply, it doesn't appear in Screen Refresh Rate in Windows. But when frequency is lower than 160mhz pixelclock, It works.

So for now I got only 70hz(160.54mhz PixelClock) aviable, other 71 and higher just didn't show. What I do wrong?

• Thumbs Up 1

oops, thanked u by accident :D

anyways, u have to delete all stock refresh rates in cru and then input a new custom one. that ull have to set to lcd automatic and input the refresh rate that u want. after saving everything ull have to reboot and it should stick :)

oops, thanked u by accident :D

anyways, u have to delete all stock refresh rates in cru and then input a new custom one. that ull have to set to lcd automatic and input the refresh rate that u want. after saving everything ull have to reboot and it should stick :)

doesn't work for me:cry_002::cry_002::cry_002: on any drivers, may be I should switch to windows 7 or it's just my laptop...

ok so as it seems, switchable graphics machines cannot oc their screen refresh rate, since the intel igpu, through which the display signal goes is limited to the stock frequencies and max. 60hz. at least that was the case back when i first started using cru.

heres the detailed "manual" i sent to a buddy of mine who couldnt at first get it to work:

maybe this helps - this is how im using CRU:

in total, it shows three "AUO11ED Generic PnP Monitor" selections in my case. the first one I just leave the preset detailed resolution. in the second one i deleted the preset detailed resolution and left the box empty. the third one i used for my custom resolutions (deleted the preset resolution first). I chose "add detailed resolution" / automatic timing - best for LCD, typed in my specs, pressed OK and then rebooted my machine. after that, the custom profiles showed up in CCC in my Desktop Properties and I could select them as active profiles :) idle clocks didnt change, they stayed the same.

after inputting the custom profile and rebooting, check and see if it pops up in ur intel gpu or dgpu menu to be selected...

ok so as it seems, switchable graphics machines cannot oc their screen refresh rate, since the intel igpu, through which the display signal goes is limited to the stock frequencies and max. 60hz. at least that was the case back when i first started using cru.

heres the detailed "manual" i sent to a buddy of mine who couldnt at first get it to work:

maybe this helps - this is how im using CRU:

in total, it shows three "AUO11ED Generic PnP Monitor" selections in my case. the first one I just leave the preset detailed resolution. in the second one i deleted the preset detailed resolution and left the box empty. the third one i used for my custom resolutions (deleted the preset resolution first). I chose "add detailed resolution" / automatic timing - best for LCD, typed in my specs, pressed OK and then rebooted my machine. after that, the custom profiles showed up in CCC in my Desktop Properties and I could select them as active profiles :) idle clocks didnt change, they stayed the same.

after inputting the custom profile and rebooting, check and see if it pops up in ur intel gpu or dgpu menu to be selected...

thanks for reply, unfortunately my laptop ignores everything higher than 160mhz in pixel clock, and I pretty sure it's(the limit) is somewhere in catalyst, because without catalyst, on clean windows, I can edit the EDID of monitor, and set high refresh rates... May be somehow it can be unlocked in modded catalyst, for now there is no such mods.

• 1 month later...

Just to chime in, I've had my chi mei panel on the p370em oc'd to 120hz ever since I got it ~2 years no, never got any artifacts twitching or anything. The only probem was that after it woke from standby, the LCD wouldnt turn on, so I just cant use standby.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...