SLI 780M or 880M gaming laptop

joseph0042

Question

Hey guys,

I have been reading numerous posts and doing comparisons of the Clevo/Sager NP9570, NP9380, and Alienware M18 R2 and R3. I am at a loss for which to go with. I more than likely will wait till the new (well the relabeled) 880m is released with either decision that I make, but has anyone had both clevo/sager and aw? What were your opinions of the 2?

And speaking of AW, I have read about the differences and struggles regarding the AW 18 (or street name R3) with the fan tables and throttling when overclocking. Is it worth it to go with an R2 version and then upgrade to 780m or 880m sli? Speaking of 880m...I saw that monkey was lending out some of the 880m's. Did anyone put these in a R2/R3? Any problems or struggles doing so if I pulled the trigger before their release and upgraded later (if I end up finding a good deal before hand)?

Sorry for the random questions! But thanks for all the information on the forum. Lots of good stuff here.

I've read that the 880m is the same chip/architecture as the 780m. If I were you I would have waited a bit longer when nVidia starts releasing 880mx chips based on the new architecture poised to make a noticeable increase from previous generation.

I will also go with the 780M SLI because 8XXM series isn't really worth the upgrade.

The benchmarks didn't have a huge difference between the 780M and 880M.

I personally think you can try to overclock the single 780M and get the same performance as the single 880M.

SLI, in a laptop, seems great -- but I am regretting getting SLI and not getting a single card that was slightly more powerful (but less than SLI). SLI has caused nothing but nightmares with frame sync issues / stutter, required flashing bios, etc. My 2¢ for what it's worth. :)