BIOS Update for Y410P/Y510P 74CN44WW (V3.05)

panybbib

I actually sent the laptop in so they can update the BIOS but when I got it it still wasn't working. I later found out that their was an error on their site because they advertised the older y510p versions as SLI compatible. I'm going to try and see if the BIOS mod works. If not, I am getting a refund. Too bad they aren't selling the better 755m SLI version right now

• 2 weeks later...

The bios screen is the one you want for the revision you have.

I downgraded to 2.07 and then white listed my BIOS for the 7260AC card but the machine would never sleep using my logitech wireless mouse plugged in, and i tried every suggestion to get the sleep working properly like disabling bluetooth etc but nothing worked so i rolled back to stock 2.07 then i used this posted version of 3.05 and it worked fine just in case someone wants to use this posted BIOS and fears it might not be legit. I took one for the team so to speak :D. And seeing the guy below my post also had success should reassure anyone that either wants to upgrade to 3.05 or go back to 3.05 that it is the real deal.

I wish sleep worked along with the AC card i bought but i decided sleep was more important then faster internet speeds since i tend to open and close my laptop alot and use it unplugged .

I do not think 3.05 will ever be moddable based on the posts ive read so yeah some tough decisions have to be made i guess on which is most important.

The bios screen is the one you want for the revision you have.

I downgraded to 2.07 and the white listed my BIOS for the 7260AC card but the machine would never sleep with my logitech wireless mouse plugged in and i tried every suggestion to get the sleep working properly like disabling bluetooth but nothing worked so i rolled back to stock 2.07 then i used this posted version of 3.05 and it worked fine just in case someone wants to use this posted BIOS.

That's exactly what I did;) I got vague errors with the 2.07 mod, so I flashed back the backup, and updated to this one. I works excellent!

Companies lock things down for various reasons. Some might call it wrong/selfish but from tech support standpoint i guess they want the least amount of issues to deal with when you call in for help. Considering these are budget class machines for the most part so is the Lenovo tech support.

Also for instance the 7260 AC card has sleep issues so there might be some underlying reasons they blacklist things like wireless cards and maybe something they could not resolve or did not feel the need to so they lock it down.

It sucks but thankfully people like SVL7 exist to help get around some of these issues IE downgrading. I ended up going back to 3.05 and the stock 7260 N card because of the lack of a working sleep but others would rather have faster wifi then sleep working so its good there is some choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
System BIOS and EC 74CN44WW (V3.05) for Y410P/Y510P

Support Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 (run VIQYx305.exe to update BIOS) or run flash.bat in pure DOS environment to update BIOS.

Warning : You may brick your computer. Use it at your own risks, only if you know what you are doing !

panybbib - just to confirm, this is a completely stock v3.05 firmware with no mods, correct?

OK - first a bit THANK YOU to svl7 and everyone here for all their work. I was able to downgrade from my v3.05 to v2.7 and then applied the mod and installed my new 7260AC wireless card and it worked without any glitches. However, I am having the same issue whereby my wireless mouse is causing my Y510p to not go into sleep mode :-( I may start another thread just for this to see if anyone can find a fix for it.

Defeat! :sour: Or at least troops withdrawn for now. As I noted before, followed the steps outlined in this and the original SVL7 sticky thread to backup bios, flashback from v3.05 to v2.7 BIOS, backup, mod v2.7, then flash modded v2.7. No hickups or issues during the process. New 7260AC wireless card worked! Note I've upgraded my Y501p to Win7 Ultimate 64bit (from POS Win8.1). However, as noted by others, SLEEP mode no longer functions, and that is a feature that I use/need a lot. I tried a number of device manager setting changes, but still could not get it to work. Then I noticed that whenever I did a restart or shutdown/startup, that I'd get hung in the BIOS screen for about 20 or so seconds and then the laptop would reboot and it would just blast into Windows desktop like it should (I'm running a Vertex V4 SSD). Note that I had none of these issues running stock v3.05 BIOS and stock 2230 wireless card with Win7 Ultimate installed.

So, I decided to do a fresh Win7 build with the new Intel 7260AC wireless card and modded v2.7 BIOS. Went thru all that fun and it was restarting just fine until I did a wired LAN driver install, and then it started the 20 second hang in BIOS and then auto reboot with no issue... Checked and still no SLEEP working, so I said let's do this again! So another fresh Windows7 Ultimate 64bit install. Again, all good, but after a number of Windows and drivers updates (got further this time than last), then, the reboot BIOS hang happens. FTW? OK, so now that's blown much of an afternoon and into evening, so I reinstalled the stock BIOS v3.05; rebooted and got the hated Lenovo incompatible wireless card message; installed original 2230 PoS wireless card; and then did ANOTHER Win7 Ultimate clean install. Smooth as butter - no warnings, no BIOS hangs, and SLEEP works again.

I suspect there was something in the v2.7 BIOS tables that just didn't like running on my v3.05 Y510p?? That said, someone (PLEASE!) needs to figure out a way to modify the 3.xx based BIOS so we can have our cake laptop and our 7260AC ice cream too!

• Thumbs Up 1