Y500 Bluetooth issue after whitelist bios

IR1

Hello all,

I know and have known the Y500 to have bluetooth issues in regards to coming out of sleep mode. I have read about it for some time.

Since I purchased the Y500 last year, most of the time it has been in use plugged into my TV for gaming and media. I have been using a bluetooth keyboard and Razer bluetooth mouse. I would almost always just put the Y500 to sleep and wake it up, bluetooth would work and my devices would connect. It was extremely consistent. I only had to restart a couple times in the last couple of months when one of both bluetooth devices would not connect.

Fast forward to this week when I installed Y500 whitelist mod bios. Now bluetooth always fails after waking it up from sleep/standby.

Previously I was on the 1.05 version of the bios. Now I am on 2.04 modded.

I really appreciate having the modded bios, as I have done some overclocking of my SLI 650M's and I have ordered an Intel 7260 wifi card, which I should get next week. It is great. But I wonder if there was something inherent to the 1.05 bios that made the bluetooth/sleep issue more rare.

I thought I would throw this experience into the pile and see if anyone has any thoughts or ideas. If a version of the 1.05 bios, modded, exists and it it is possible to go back. I would be willing to do some testing. I of course have my backup of the 1.05 bios, so I guess I can try that too.

PS: I wonder if anyone has gone to the 7260 or another wifi card and had that fix the bluetooth issue.

Thanks!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Well quick update, I installed the 7260 last night. Side note, WIFI is fantastic with that thing. Bluetooth actually seems more responsive as well... HOWEVER, I did one test, put the Y500 to sleep, woke it up, bluetooth is gone!

So the 7260 didnt fix it. I rarely had this problem with the 1.05 bios... it would happen occasionally, but 90% of the time it worked out of sleep. But yeah I dont know for sure if it is the bios, drivers or windows issue.

Does anyone have a copy of the 1.05 BIOS modded? I have my original copy too if anyone knows how to mod it. But I am willing to test it to see if that clears up the issue.

Edited by IR1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an Intel 7260ac sitting in front of me right now. Do you have an update on the Bluetooth issue? My understanding from your last post is that it still does not work after waking the computer. I currently have v1.05 Lenovo BIOS and my Bluetooth does not work after waking from sleep.

Is the 7260 AC a lot better than the factor card?

Absolutely. The default stock card is generally an Intel 2230, which is not only a crappy card, but only supports single band (2.4GHz) wireless N. The Intel 7260 works much better and supports dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) as well as wireless AC in addition to wireless N.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

i have problem with my bluetooth after flash unlocked bios. always my bluetooth not show in devise manage but sometimes after boot windows show in taskbar icons for minutes. 

Edited by saeid

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I repurposed my bluetooth dongle and got a dedicated logitech wireless media keyboard, I mainly use my laptop with my TV, so I need to be able to couch surf on it.  Anyway when I need to use bluetooth for whatever, I have to reboot the PC, BT comes back, works fine.  But if PC goes to sleep, BT goes away.  And yes I have "Let Windows put this device to sleep" unchecked.  Anyway it is a goofy quirk on a laptop I have otherwise been pretty darn happy with.  

• 2 weeks later...