Problems with Laptop Temp

aznbravox

I recently installed a SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256gb onto my Alienware M14xr1 because the A08 BIOS update doesn't support Sata 3 i had to flash it back to A05. After the changes I had massive FPS issues in games and found out the reason to that is because the core temps are WAYYY too high. Like all 4 cores are hovering around 95C. Err I tried taking it apart but I suck at these things and as a result the sides of my pc looks pretty ugly from all the prying and stuff. Can anyone give me tips on how to fix this issue without taking apart my pc again? I dont want to break it LOL. :grey:

Now even running youtube or anything is a hassle. :/ I tried tearing it apart and check if anything blocked the vents but it looks pretty clear to me. I really don't know why its getting so hot, could it be im using the old A05 Bios? The biggest suspicion right now is just that the thermal paste is ineffective. Going to try flash to A08 Bios now eventhough it doesnt support sata 3.

• 1 month later...

I was having very similar problems with temperatures. While running certain game software, I was getting a scary 98 degrees C. My M14X has been this way ever since I bought the laptop. I left it go and ran it that way for 1 year and 11 months. I couldn't stand it anymore, and I thought that the laptop was almost 2 years old, so I took a chance at fixing the problem. I went to Youtube and typed in M14X disassembly and paused the video as needed, following each step. I finally got to the point where I could change the heat sink paste. The old paste was hard and was not applied well. I cleaned the areas needed and put on new paste. My temperatures went from 98 peak to 82 peak, so it was well worth it to me. The problem finally got fixed. One last note is that I learned to blow canned air from the backside of the computer (Heat sink) and not from the fan side. If you end up tearing yours apart, I think you will see what I mean.post-24184-14494997339171_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have had good luck with a cooling pad (Notepal U2 plus). It gives plenty of airflow below the computer and had 2 moveable fans. I haven't seen the peak temperatures you report, but still might be worth a try (no dis-assembly required).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thermal paste had never failed me before at least the good ones. I too once had some serious overheating issue on the m14x r1, applied new thermal paste to both cpu and gpu fixed the problem. I'm not sure about thermal pads though never used them before. Maybe someone experienced in using both of these can enlighten us?