Y500 Ultrabay GPU Fan Not Working

Feedback

Recently picked up a refurbished Y500 with SLI 650m's. I updated to Windows 8.1 right away and did the vBIOS update for SLI to work again.

From what i remember, there was airflow coming out of the right side vent before I installed 8.1 and the vBIOS update but now there is no airflow and the card is reaching temps will into the 90's.

I've reflashed the vBIOS, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and reseated the Ultrabay slot with no luck.

The Ultrabay GPU fan doesn't seem to start at POST and doesn't run when running Lenovo's Dust Remover Utility. Am I right to assume the second fan should be running at these times?

Any other ideas to get this fan working is appreciated.. There is warranty on the laptop so not to worried.. just don't want the headache of bringing it in if it's an easy fix.

Recently picked up a refurbished Y500 with SLI 650m's. I updated to Windows 8.1 right away and did the vBIOS update for SLI to work again.

From what i remember, there was airflow coming out of the right side vent before I installed 8.1 and the vBIOS update but now there is no airflow and the card is reaching temps will into the 90's.

I've reflashed the vBIOS, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and reseated the Ultrabay slot with no luck.

The Ultrabay GPU fan doesn't seem to start at POST and doesn't run when running Lenovo's Dust Remover Utility. Am I right to assume the second fan should be running at these times?

Any other ideas to get this fan working is appreciated.. There is warranty on the laptop so not to worried.. just don't want the headache of bringing it in if it's an easy fix.

You can try using some compressed air to see if something is blocking it, but that would be pretty obvious if the fan blades were not moving.

Yeah the fan should definitely being going when on any load. Its usually blowing a little when not on load on mine, but sometimes its pretty faint. If compressed air doesnt work you may consider taking it apart and testing the fan alone.

I tried posting on this earlier, but nothing posted so im trying a different browser. That or maybe my post wasnt approved... as I am new. Anyway you may want to see if you can disconnect the fan and test is alone to see if it is the fan itself that has mechanically failed or if something else on the board or software wise is causing issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...