Upgrading m15x gpu with gtx 780m

kpdominicano

Hey everyone. I recently upgraded my gpu with the gtx780m. unfortunately, since i am new to this site, i cannot download the modified vbios for this gpu yet. so im still on the locked vbios. i have the gpu installed, but in order for me to be able use my laptop i have to disable the audio card from the bios, which i read somewhere on this site. has anyone been able to get their m15x to fully work properly sound and all, or do i need to wait until i flash my gpu to the unlocked version? any help is appreciated. thank you

Nice! Congrats for your new card. I managed to get the sound working. Disable the windows auto update and auto installation of drivers first, then uninstall the video driver and the IDT sound driver. Keep the IDT disabled in bios and boot in safe mode. Go to device manager and disable all you see about sound. Then enable IDT in bios and install the drivers for it. I don't remember if I did this in safe mode too. In the end, install the video drivers. From what I noticed, the problem is that even with IDT disabled in bios, there is a sound device in device manager(probably from the video card, and this interferes with the original sound device).

Let me know how it goes :). You'll work it out in the end, don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Congrats for your new card. I managed to get the sound working. Disable the windows auto update and auto installation of drivers first, then uninstall the video driver and the IDT sound driver. Keep the IDT disabled in bios and boot in safe mode. Go to device manager and disable all you see about sound. Then enable IDT in bios and install the drivers for it. I don't remember if I did this in safe mode too. In the end, install the video drivers. From what I noticed, the problem is that even with IDT disabled in bios, there is a sound device in device manager(probably from the video card, and this interferes with the original sound device).

Let me know how it goes :). You'll work it out in the end, don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im having an issue now...i was doing a lil surfing online and all of a sudden the screen goes black now when i try to restart, the scroll lock light and the caps lock light blinks and the numlock stays solid...ive only had this gpu card for about a week i havent done any gaming on it because of the sound issue...HELP! :(

Now i have a big problem...for about a week that i had the 780m installed it was working fine until today. I was doing some web surfing out of the blue the screen went black...i tried to restart but now all the laptop does is the scroll lock and caps lock lights blink, and the num lock stays solid...ive only had this gpu in for about a week and i havent doen any gaming on it cuz of the sound issue...HELP!!! :64:

• 3 months later...

Nice thread! I got 780M card (From Alienware 18) and wanna try with m15x. Plugged in the card, then i got 3 LED flashing. Tried with power drain, also same. Tried with 150w/240w/330w still flashing. Anything i missed here?

Nice thread! I got 780M card (From Alienware 18) and wanna try with m15x. Plugged in the card, then i got 3 LED flashing. Tried with power drain, also same. Tried with 150w/240w/330w still flashing. Anything i missed here?

Try to reseat it. It should have worked ok...at least until you boot into windows.

Try to reseat it. It should have worked ok...at least until you boot into windows.

Negative. Reseat it few times. For both cards (Since the card is SLI). I still got 3 led blinking. No idea why..its just..weird.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone ever gotten a 780M to work with M15x? I know the 680M worked, so 780M not so different, eh? On the other hand, I've heard of 765M failures...

It works. The sound is a little tricky to enable but that works too in the end, only problems I noticed are that it gets a little hot and I could not manage to get the sound over hdmi to work.

It works. The sound is a little tricky to enable but that works too in the end, only problems I noticed are that it gets a little hot and I could not manage to get the sound over hdmi to work.

What are your idle temps on it? I just upgraded one of my GT 240M M15x models to the GTX 660M, but despite a careful (and purposely sparse) application of Arctic Silver 5, the GPU still idles at 65C with fans at 2,8000RPM (manual with Hwinfo since the fan control doesn't seem to work automatically).

Also, you didn't get the fans to work, did you? I got the Dell 660M, but still no automatic fan control.

What are your idle temps on it? I just upgraded one of my GT 240M M15x models to the GTX 660M, but despite a careful (and purposely sparse) application of Arctic Silver 5, the GPU still idles at 65C with fans at 2,8000RPM (manual with Hwinfo since the fan control doesn't seem to work automatically).

Also, you didn't get the fans to work, did you? I got the Dell 660M, but still no automatic fan control.

Automatic fan control works fine. At idle the temp is about 55C with fans at 2800RPM. The temp becomes an issue when gaming something gpu intensive, it very quickly reaches 80C then slowly towards 90C. I have a KOI cooling mod now and the temps are a bit lower, so I can game with no problems without the temps going above 80C.