upgrademonkey GTX 880M Review /preview

I for see the 880M having major issues with the current drivers once they crash one to many times...

And yes an inf edit is working as of today's test.

Thanks Johnksss, might just go the dual 780,s this time round. I hate things that just come out, to new means problems / bugs every time. ;)

Will have the same specs as you! lol May need some help with settings after if that's cool? :eagerness:

Thanks Johnksss, might just go the dual 780,s this time round. I hate things that just come out, to new means problems / bugs every time. ;)

Will have the same specs as you! lol May need some help with settings after if that's cool? :eagerness:

For m18x R2 with 330w adapter, 680m sli or 780m sli (or even 880m) are somewhat similar in performance if you overclocked them.

This is because of power lack. The 3dmark11 P-scores are limited at 13k with 330w PSU.

However since you have p570wm which has factory-built 600w PSU, I'd rather wait 880m.

Naaa, i will get Mr. Fox,s dual power brick adapter for the M18x R2 so power won't be an issue. I have the M18x R2 already just need to get some new cards either the 780M,s or 880M,s..

Umm i actually have both laptops Q56_monster as i am blessed enough to be wealthy and have whatever i like which is why i have both. Umm, personal preference is the phrase, the M18x looks so much better plus i like the screen better on the AW and i totally hate the piss poor sound quality of the P570WM compared to the AW. I once had the AW m18x R2 but sold it to a mate before i could even unlock it and open its true potential..

More interested in gaming now days with a little bit of tweaking rather than hardcore benching and breaking records so that is another reason why i prefer the M18x as well as its just pure Sex!!!! LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn @Astelith That is impressive at those volts..

Yeah so 780M and 880M at the same clock speed produce the same score ?? Mmm, Kinda makes sense as its just a 780M with higher default clock. The 8gb memory is just stupid overkill IMO anyways. Probably not even worth paying that much extra over a 780M to get the 880M.. I was thinking about this today actually as i haven't purchased the 880M,s yet.. You have started me thinking again :nightmare:

Sorry to get off topic a little but would the Clevo 780M work in the Alienware? If yours is Blue PCB i think its Clevo yes??

Mine is Dell, I'm curious to go deep and understand if it's only a rebrand, if is this the case Good for us with the 780m :)

Pretty sure it is. With the addition of the ridiculous memory increase.. lol BTW, don't worry about the Question i asked ppl, i found out you can use the Clevo card in the AW.. I may just buy the 780M,s and save myself about $400 each card.. :62:

Cheers!

Pretty sure it is. With the addition of the ridiculous memory increase.. lol BTW, don't worry about the Question i asked ppl, i found out you can use the Clevo card in the AW.. I may just buy the 780M,s and save myself about $400 each card.. :62:

Cheers!

Thats probably the best idea. Wait until the 880ms are released and the price of the 780ms go down before buying the 780m. I would probably do this as well.

Thats probably the best idea. Wait until the 880ms are released and the price of the 780ms go down before buying the 780m. I would probably do this as well.

Well yeah i can justify $790AUD for a 780M but $1260USD is a bit ridiculous really which is what the 880M will cost and for what really? :hypnotysed:

• Founder

Honestly if you even have 680m sli there is no compelling reason to upgrade unless you are a number chaser. Wait until high performance Maxwell hits the market.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia 1520 (RM-937)

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly if you even have 680m sli there is no compelling reason to upgrade unless you are a number chaser. Wait until high performance Maxwell hits the market.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia 1520 (RM-937)

There is good reason for it actually. I am selling my P570WM which cannot take any newer cards than 680M,s and i need new cards for my M18x as the GTX 675M,s are not doing the job for me sorry to say.. lol

880ms are released and the price of the 780ms go down before buying the 780m

hmmm but come to think of it.. one 880m is like an sli 680m/780m. If there's a stable driver for this one then good to get. Provided to wait first until driver gets stable and amd gets a counter part for this gpu, then price will be competitive :-)

There is good reason for it actually. I am selling my P570WM which cannot take any newer cards than 680M,s and i need new cards for my M18x as the GTX 675M,s are not doing the job for me sorry to say.. lol

A single 780m will be better than those 675Ms. I dont know what games those guys with 2 overclocked 780Ms are playing, unless they are using multiple screens, 1440p or 120hz screen.

- - - Updated - - -

hmmm but come to think of it.. one 880m is like an sli 680m/780m. If there's a stable driver for this one then good to get. Provided to wait first until driver gets stable and amd gets a counter part for this gpu, then price will be competitive :-)

A single 880m is nowhere near a 780m sli or 680m sli.

A single 780m will be better than those 675Ms. I dont know what games those guys with 2 overclocked 780Ms are playing, unless they are using multiple screens, 1440p or 120hz screen.

- - - Updated - - -

A single 880m is nowhere near a 780m sli or 680m sli.

For what I've seen the 880M is a 780M with higer default clock, a 780M with the 880M clock is the same card...

9026 graphics score at 3dm11 with the core @ 1000 @ 1V (can run the test even @ 0.975V)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7948950

Compared to this test http://www.techinferno.com/2014/01/31/review-nvidia-gtx-880m/5/ the performance is 100% the same

• Thumbs Up 1

For what I've seen the 880M is a 780M with higer default clock, a 780M with the 880M clock is the same card...

9026 graphics score at 3dm11 with the core @ 1000 @ 1V (can run the test even @ 0.975V)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-620M Processor,Alienware

Compared to this test Nvidia GTX 880m review the performance is 100% the same

Yeah, it just has a bastardised 8gb of vram where most likely you would only use 3gb max. I think nvidia is using it to appeal to the people who think more vram = more power.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for that Info as well Astelith You saved me $430 each card// :Banane44:

Yeah from the tests i have seen recently they are the same in performance clock for clock (when core clocks are same) And have also seen that the 780M has no problems reaching the same clock speeds if not more so Meh.. I thought that the 880M was something better and new at the start but now that i know its the same damn chip an pretty much the same card and obviously just a glorified top binned GPU anyhow. Sooooooo i guess there is absolutely NO reason to pay more then $400 more for it..

Yeah i didn't know what omega939 was on about there when he was comparing 680/780 SLI with single 880.. I then thought maybe he meant price wise but the SLI will still cost slightly more than the single 880. Hahaha Anyways, i ended up buying two 780M,s locally to run in SLI so no 880M,s like i thought i was going to run. I don't mind paying lots but to pay $430 more for the same thing with a dumb memory increase and it won't make an ounce difference now that im over hardcore benching which is why i didn't buy the new P570WM which is king in that department, my AW is much nicer and will destroy all the games im going to enjoy! :Banane37:

Thanks for that Info as well Astelith You saved me $430 each card// :Banane44:

Yeah from the tests i have seen recently they are the same in performance clock for clock (when core clocks are same) And have also seen that the 780M has no problems reaching the same clock speeds if not more so Meh.. I thought that the 880M was something better and new at the start but now that i know its the same damn chip an pretty much the same card and obviously just a glorified top binned GPU anyhow. Sooooooo i guess there is absolutely NO reason to pay more then $400 more for it..

Yeah i didn't know what omega939 was on about there when he was comparing 680/780 SLI with single 880.. I then thought maybe he meant price wise but the SLI will still cost slightly more than the single 880. Hahaha Anyways, i ended up buying two 780M,s locally to run in SLI so no 880M,s like i thought i was going to run. I don't mind paying lots but to pay $430 more for the same thing with a dumb memory increase and it won't make an ounce difference now that im over hardcore benching which is why i didn't buy the new P570WM which is king in that department, my AW is much nicer and will destroy all the games im going to enjoy! :Banane37:

I think it would be better to drag around a desktop with 2 titans than a P570WM.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi there and thank you very much for the test! It`s much apreciated as I was looking forward to see the specs.

I was hoping to see a Maxwell based 880m. As it is right now there is (thanks to svl7!!!) absolutely no need to trade in my 680m running at 943/2340 for a rebrand.

I`ll save the money for the 885m (or 980m)

Best regards

phila

• 2 weeks later...