GPU usage lag

wengmugmug

Hi guys :)

I have an MSI GT70-0ND (i7 3630qm and 675mx). I flashed svl7's vbios(thanks a lot man :D)and the highest OC I get is 1012mhz on the core, and +750mhz for memory.

I ran some benchmarks and it's running quite stable. SP games are running just fine. GPU temps are around 80C and doesn't go above 82C. The CPU is a tiny bit hotter at around 80-85C. So the temps are just fine.

However, when I tried to get into multiplayer(tested with BF3, BF4, Crysis 2+3), the GPU usage just drops every 10 seconds or so to around 40%. Each lag lasts about 2-3 seconds.

I also got myself a power meter to see if my PSU is sufficient for the OC. Turns out it's only drawing about 150-160W from the wall, and rarely maxes out at 170W, which is still perfectly fine.

I also used throttlestop to see if it makes a difference, but it doesn't.

So far, the only game that has the lag in SP is crysis 3.

Really frustrated :(

Does anyone have the same problem?

I tried lowering the memory clock, but didn't help

+750 is the maximum frequency that seems to be stable in SP games. I played witcher 2, sleeping dogs, BF3 and 4 SP, and crysis 2, but all of them worked fine. no lag at all (only sp game with lag is crysis 3. dunno why :( )

But then I went into BF3 and 4 multiplayer. The maximum settings don't work anymore. I had to drop the core clock down to 800mhz (that's the same as the normal +135mhz cap) :(

The memory OC still works though. If I decrease the core clock to 800mhz and memory at +750 there's no lag at all.

It's just weird because most SP games are usually more demanding on the GPU, but the 1.01Ghz works fine. MP, on the other had, which is usually less demanding on the GPU, showed inconsistent framerates.

yes i had the same problems with battlefield 4 and 3 on 1,16ghz with my gtx770m and all other games are stable! mhh i don't know anymore except reinstall windows on your pc....

please wait for other member's opinion before reinstall windows !!!!!!!!

Wengmugmug,

I too have an issue with a lag spike in BF4.. I've been messing around with Nvidia Inspector and kombuster (from MSI) and notice on the side of the gpu burn in mode that the card throttles... I've got the GT70-0NE with a 680m 4GB.. from what I have been reading over the past few months is Nvidia wrote code in the drivers to cause the throttle if the gpu got to high in load/temps...

check aroun the MSI HQ forums too, if you have a true MSI GT70 (not a barebones) Svet over there could help you i believe..

hope this helps,

David

yes i had the same problems with battlefield 4 and 3 on 1,16ghz with my gtx770m and all other games are stable! mhh i don't know anymore except reinstall windows on your pc....

please wait for other member's opinion before reinstall windows !!!!!!!!

Haha :D thanks man :)

Wengmugmug,

I too have an issue with a lag spike in BF4.. I've been messing around with Nvidia Inspector and kombuster (from MSI) and notice on the side of the gpu burn in mode that the card throttles... I've got the GT70-0NE with a 680m 4GB.. from what I have been reading over the past few months is Nvidia wrote code in the drivers to cause the throttle if the gpu got to high in load/temps...

check aroun the MSI HQ forums too, if you have a true MSI GT70 (not a barebones) Svet over there could help you i believe..

hope this helps,

David

Thanks a lot man :D will take a look. Mine's a GT70 0ND, not a barebone one. I really don't understand why they would make the card throttle if the load is too high as long as temperature is still fine. Mine's not even reaching 85C yet. Other cards can run at 90-95C no problem : (

Thanks a lot man :D will take a look. Mine's a GT70 0ND, not a barebone one. I really don't understand why they would make the card throttle if the load is too high as long as temperature is still fine. Mine's not even reaching 85C yet. Other cards can run at 90-95C no problem : (

I have the same laptop as yours, gt70 0nd with a 4gb 675mx and the only program where it throttled was furrmark (or kombuster as the msi afterburner version is called). This was only on the default vbios. With the vbios posted by svl7, I have no issues with throttling in kombuster even with temps above 90C.

Are you sure your memory OC is not too high? I get weird artifacts in games whenever I go above +600mhz on the memory clock for about 20-30 minutes. I can play Bf4 just fine with no issues at +345 core and +400 memory.

I already tried decreasing the memory clock, even to stock setting, with the core still oc'ed, but it still lagged :( For SP games and bechmarks, the setting runs perfectly. Dunno why it only affects the MP :(

I got some really good memory chips :D The max i could push them was +800, but decided to leave it to +750 because it wasn't stable in 3dmark, but all other games run fine at +800mhz.

But again, the core's not stable in MP :(