GTX 880M 8GB review by upgrademonkey for Techinferno (preview)

upgrademonkey

Hello there,

This is Lee from upgrademonkey.

we are get 4 pcs of 880M for testing tomorrow.

apart from the usual 3Dmark staff ,anything also do you guys want me to test on?

and the N15E-GT is the 870M , it is around the corner.

Codename N15E-GX-A2
Pipelines unified
Memory Bus Width 256 Bit
Memory Type GDDR5
Max. Amount of Memory 8192 MB
Shared Memory no
technology 28 nm

Cheers

Lee

- - - Updated - - -

btw, we are happy to lend the cards to media/ forum members. I can see you guys doing a more through test.
  • Thumbs Up 12

I assume that like the 780m, the 880m does not work on Clevo EM series laptops like the P150EM?

I can already sense you itching to modify the card :D

--

If it does work on EM series stuffs, I would like to see you test in Khenglish. I know you'd certainly push the card to it's limits to test it out.

I can already sense you itching to modify the card :D

--

If it does work on EM series stuffs, I would like to see you test in Khenglish. I know you'd certainly push the card to it's limits to test it out.

Well since I wouldn't actually own it what I can do to it would be very limited from what I normally do. Even unmodified would be fun to test out though.

Awesome news, Lee! Could you please tell the actual boost clock of the card in GPU-Z after load along with voltage settings and if it's possible to overclock the card, especially the lower cost elpida ram? Does it run hotter than 780m from your opinion? Regards

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

btw, we are happy to lend the cards to media/ forum members. I can see you guys doing a more through test.

Great offer, I'd love to borrow one for testing. :)

Can you send me the vbios once you get the card? I'd really appreciate that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Just to make sure Lee doesn't hand out cards to just anyone on TI, I've PM him setting very specific criteria for his protection.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...
I agree with you, it's a monster card for sure, but that price is madness. However, I'm very curious to see the performance vs the r9 290xm....

Considering that the r9 290xm is a 8970m, which is a 7970m that cannot have the memory overclocked, you now have your performance comparison.

8970m, which is a 7970m that cannot have the memory overclocked, you now have your performance comparison.

Wait a second... so that's a common issue with the 8970m? I wasn't able to get a single additional MHz on the memory when I tested this card. Thought it was a dud...

Wait a second... so that's a common issue with the 8970m? I wasn't able to get a single additional MHz on the memory when I tested this card. Thought it was a dud...

Common issue. I think one person got around it by raising clocks in vBIOS, but that was it.

Considering that the r9 290xm is a 8970m, which is a 7970m that cannot have the memory overclocked, you now have your performance comparison.

Yeah, in fact you're right, I hate rebranding politics...but I love it at the same time: my 7970m will surely last looooonger, ad besides that I think that even at 850mzh can handle everything fluently. Nvidia should rethink the prices, there's no reason to prefer their mid-high and high tier cards IMHO

None of them can overclock memory? How about the core clock? Is it even advisable to overclock that card considering it runs at about 90C at stock?

None of them can overclock memory? How about the core clock? Is it even advisable to overclock that card considering it runs at about 90C at stock?

Something is wrong with your cooling if you are hitting 90c stock on a clevo laptop.