ssd + Hd in ultrabay vs msata ssd + hd in regular bay

Just got my new lenovo y510p and i really need an ssd in it..

It has 1 regular 2.5" hd bay, one msata bay and 1 ultra bay..

I got a 120gb samsung 830 ssd (from my old laptop) and the problem is that its too small so thats why i need that + the 1tb harddisk at the same time..

My question is, will the 1tb harddisk work slower in an ultrabay/sata dock that fits in insted of the dvd drive? (in other words, should i go and buy a msata ssd and use that so the 1tb hd can stay in its normal bay) or should i save some money and move my 1tb hd to the ultra bay and install my normal 2.5" ssd inside??

What would you do??

Personally I have a normal 2.5" SSD inside (Intel 520 Series 60GB - shoulda got the 120GB), and a 1TB drive in my multibay. Sadly I do not have a mSATA slot or I would have a mSATA SSD in there as well for random programs / games. I like only keeping certain things on my OS drive.

I'd still keep my OS drive as a 2.5" SSD due to size / speed. Unless I had a computer with a M.2 slot wired PCIe, those things are absurdly fast (due to PCIe communication over the much slower SATA connection).

So: 2.5" SSD + data drive in multibay.

SATA speed might vary in the multibay. But don't be overly concerned about it.

Pic of CrystalDiskInfo (kinda big):

fRY4Aio.png

Just got my new lenovo y510p and i really need an ssd in it..

It has 1 regular 2.5" hd bay, one msata bay and 1 ultra bay..

I got a 120gb samsung 830 ssd (from my old laptop) and the problem is that its too small so thats why i need that + the 1tb harddisk at the same time..

My question is, will the 1tb harddisk work slower in an ultrabay/sata dock that fits in insted of the dvd drive? (in other words, should i go and buy a msata ssd and use that so the 1tb hd can stay in its normal bay) or should i save some money and move my 1tb hd to the ultra bay and install my normal 2.5" ssd inside??

What would you do??

It would be better if you can tell us which SATA ports it has. I will try through guess work.

Even if the ultra bay port is sata 1, it has 150 MB/s max transfer speed which your hdd wont even reach. On the other hand, the port where your hdd sat is most likely sata 2 which has a max transfer speed of 300MB/s which would probably result in less performance from your ssd as samsung claims that it can reach speeds of 520MB/s. Your msata slot is most likely SATA 3 but it could also be SATA 2 (unlikely but we cant be certain). If it is SATA 3, it would benefit you the most to put an msata ssd in this one.

It would be better if you can tell us which SATA ports it has. I will try through guess work.

Even if the ultra bay port is sata 1, it has 150 MB/s max transfer speed which your hdd wont even reach. On the other hand, the port where your hdd sat is most likely sata 2 which has a max transfer speed of 300MB/s which would probably result in less performance from your ssd as samsung claims that it can reach speeds of 520MB/s. Your msata slot is most likely SATA 3 but it could also be SATA 2 (unlikely but we cant be certain). If it is SATA 3, it would benefit you the most to put an msata ssd in this one.

Ah true. I looked around to see the SATA speed for the Y510P, I only came across this:

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Question. - Lenovo Community

@emregezgin, could you run CrystalDiskInfo to see the SATA speed of the drive currently in your system?

Look at the Transfer Mode section.

Ah true. I looked around to see the SATA speed for the Y510P, I only came across this:

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Question. - Lenovo Community

@emregezgin, could you run CrystalDiskInfo to see the SATA speed of the drive currently in your system?

Look at the Transfer Mode section.

Does crystal disk info tell you if there is an msata port that isnt being used?

I will try to use it tomorrow.. Both speccy and crystal disk info..

I dont need to put a harddrive in to run a test right? Because right now its just a dvd drive.. but that should not change the resault right?

No, it will just tell you which ports are SATA I , II or III.