Powered extender riser wiring

So I ordered a powered extender 8x to 16x cable. This particular one assume that the same PSU would be connected to the extender and the mobo. However, in my case it will not be so.

Picture from listing:

post-6146-14494996878539_thumb.jpg

So from this I can see that the +12V lines go to the 16x slot as intended with no feedback to the motherboard. Which of the GND wires should I hookup my ground from the PSU to? I was thinking of A4 or B4. Will be doing this without severing that line, with one of those inline crimp connectors.

PCIe wiring diagram:

semi-large image (don't want to resize as readibility issue)

post-6146-14494996878182_thumb.gif

Or does it not really matter which ground I hook it up to?

Thanks for the help.

---

It appears for all intents and purposes, the ground you hookup to doesn't matter. I have also added a wire from the PRSNT1# to the 8x PRSNT2# to make sure both devices read that this is a 8x connection. Worked quite well.

I'd assume that they are internally connected, but if you want to be sure, you can check yourself.

According to your diagram A4 is connected to pretty much every ground on the A side, same for B4 with the Grounds on the B side.

This looks like a PCIe x8 raiser card, so the pins A49 and B49 should be pretty easy to find (the last ones connected), plug in the raiser cable and check if A49 is really connected to B49 via motherboard.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd assume that they are internally connected, but if you want to be sure, you can check yourself.

According to your diagram A4 is connected to pretty much every ground on the A side, same for B4 with the Grounds on the B side.

This looks like a PCIe x8 raiser card, so the pins A49 and B49 should be pretty easy to find (the last ones connected), plug in the raiser cable and check if A49 is really connected to B49 via motherboard.

Alrighty I'll give it a whirl by prodding around with my multimeter and testing the grounds. I'll update this post with results. And I have another (actually finished this time) mod blog if this works :D

---

All GND are connected to each other on the MOBO ONLY. The riser ground connections aren't connected at all <_<

Gonna have to fiddle around with that.

---

NM, they are, I just had a bad connection prodding around.

----

GND doesn't matter.