3dmark 2013 shutsdown issue on MSI GT60-one

omega939

I have question regarding my AC adapter or thermal heat related issue. Whenever I benchmark my gpu (nvidia gtx 680M) with 3dmark 2013 and using afterburner (tweaking to high core clocks and memory clock settings), it loads but after loading my notebook shuts down... Is my PSU lacking in power? Or related to heat issue? That's why it shuts down. I am using a 240 watts ac adapter, vbios mod by svl7 (1.025v), ec firmware mod and unlock bios. Its not heat related because I just cleaned my gpu/cpu heatsink fan and put a xigmatek PTI-G4512 thermal paste.

I did also run a memtest to check if its a faulty memory but did 4 passes with no issue.

I am opting to buy a 330watts dell adapter if my 240watts psu is lacking power now as I saw in one of the post of meaker in another forum.

Can anyone help? thanks

I have question regarding my AC adapter or thermal heat related issue. Whenever I benchmark my gpu (nvidia gtx 680M) with 3dmark 2013 and using afterburner (tweaking to high core clocks and memory clock settings), it loads but after loading my notebook shuts down... Is my PSU lacking in power? Or related to heat issue? That's why it shuts down. I am using a 240 watts ac adapter, vbios mod by svl7 (1.025v), ec firmware mod and unlock bios. Its not heat related because I just cleaned my gpu/cpu heatsink fan and put a xigmatek PTI-G4512 thermal paste.

I did also run a memtest to check if its a faulty memory but did 4 passes with no issue.

I am opting to buy a 330watts dell adapter if my 240watts psu is lacking power now as I saw in one of the post of meaker in another forum.

Can anyone help? thanks

What is your CPU and is it overclocked? Only a very overclocked sandy bridge could trip a 240W PSU with a 680m at 1.025V. If so I would expect the combined test to cause a PSU shutdown. If you're getting shutdowns during just the graphics tests then power is not your problem. Also if you were having PSU shutdowns you can tell because you need to disconnected the PSU for over 5 seconds to get it to turn back on, assuming you are using the dell m17x 240W psu.

What is your CPU and is it overclocked? Only a very overclocked sandy bridge could trip a 240W PSU with a 680m at 1.025V

still using a 3610qm but i have an unlock bios thats why my fsb is 105. Locked multiplier but still oc'ed fsb + oc'ed GPU 680m @ 1.025v.. So my psu cant handle the load? thanks mate

Also if you were having PSU shutdowns you can tell because you need to disconnected the PSU for over 5 seconds to get it to turn back on, assuming you are using the dell m17x 240W psu.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

When shutdown occurs, I can turn on the power button instantly... dunno if its heat issue, but if its heat issue, first the benchmark will still run then, artifacts, then exit in 3dmark right?

still using a 3610qm but i have an unlock bios thats why my fsb is 105. Locked multiplier but still oc'ed fsb + oc'ed GPU 680m @ 1.025v.. So my psu cant handle the load? thanks mate

When shutdown occurs, I can turn on the psu instantly... dunno if its heat issue, but if its heat issue, first the benchmark will still run then, artifacts, then exit in 3dmark right?

I think your problem is your BCLK overclock. 105 is high for BCLK on a laptop. BCLK is weird and results in hard freezes/shutdowns when too high. If dropping the BCLK isn't it, then I say your GPU overclock is just too high.

The PSU is definitely not the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

105 is high for BCLK on a laptop. BCLK is weird and results in hard freezes/shutdowns when too high. If dropping the BCLK isn't it, then I say your GPU overclock is just too high.

The PSU is definitely not the problem.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Ok, I will try to adjust the settings on bclk when i get back home.

Else if GPU settings is too high then nb shutsdown? Many thanks

I think your problem is your BCLK overclock. 105 is high for BCLK on a laptop. BCLK is weird and results in hard freezes/shutdowns when too high. If dropping the BCLK isn't it, then I say your GPU overclock is just too high.

You where right with your diagnostics.. First and foremest, 3Dmark 13 with the updated version of V1.2.25 is so sensitive with BCLK. I lowered the bclk from 105 to 103 and it did work! No more shutdown.

Your second advice is, I've checked my mxm board (took out the board from my nb and attached it to the heatsink to see if the thermal pads are doing its job) and found out that there where 2 thermal pads attached to the capacitor but it's not in contact with the gpu heatsink which I've put additional pads just to fill those gaps (thus leads to a more lower temps)

I updated the vbios from v1.025 to 1.05v and it gave my 680M more juice!!!

Here's the pic of 3dmark 11 benchmark @ 105 fsb

7raq.jpg

I think futuremark should make another patch with 3dmark 2013 regarding the BCLK issue. Because before I updated to the latest version (V1.2.25), all is working well, Just like 3dmark 11. Both can run 105fsb with no issues/shutdown.

Anyway, thanks mate :-D