is 16GB possible in an M14xR1??

derdy

It does say on the Dells page / service manual that it only supports 8gb. However on several forums ( including dells ) there are users saying that it supports 16gb. As for finding out 100% support 16gb, its going to be rather difficult seen how everything on dells site contradicts itself.

I just ordered 2x8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws to replace the standard 4GB Micron that is showing memory faults. Did I screw up with this? Specs on Dell website show R1 only capable of 8GB max. Thanks

Hi, I have 16GB HyperX 1600Mhz Ram, and all my works without problems.

Ciao :Banane49:

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned about 11 Dell laptops over the past 10 years, I have found they are conservative on most of their unit's max memory specs. I have 8GB and no page file, but 16GB is quite a bit for a laptop unless one intends on running a 12GB ramdrive; less than that and performance gains show null.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a benefit if you are using 3D Software that requires vast amounts of ram. Caching of particles is an example or caching of textures for rendering.

Another good use is if you are planning on working on a really big canvas in Photoshop or on several big files at a time.

For the regular use though, it is not really needed.

I personally bought these bad boys and they work like a charm with the m14xR1: Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB DDR3L

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a benefit if you are using 3D Software that requires vast amounts of ram. Caching of particles is an example or caching of textures for rendering.

Another good use is if you are planning on working on a really big canvas in Photoshop or on several big files at a time.

For the regular use though, it is not really needed.

I personally bought these bad boys and they work like a charm with the m14xR1: Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB DDR3L

there is also wanting to use a ram disk, or Virtual Machine

ciao :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The post I read was that it supports single channel 16 gb 1333 mhz and dual channel 16 gb 1600 mhz. Now thanks to NforceRaid I'm sure it works. Makes sense though, the processor is only 2 gen old, so it should have the support to it. I always wondered though, does it make a big difference NforceRaid (not the capacity, mhz rate) ? Theoretically higher frequency should mean that is works faster but can you see any differences?

The post I read was that it supports single channel 16 gb 1333 mhz and dual channel 16 gb 1600 mhz. Now thanks to NforceRaid I'm sure it works. Makes sense though, the processor is only 2 gen old, so it should have the support to it. I always wondered though, does it make a big difference NforceRaid (not the capacity, mhz rate) ? Theoretically higher frequency should mean that is works faster but can you see any differences?

16gb of ram 4gb I have used for the ramdisk (Dataram), and believe me the difference is apparent. 1333 to 1600 there is not much difference, but if the 1600 has a good price, why not?

ciao :Banane21: